Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Delaware River May 5

Time to bump this. Is this still on you calendar, Ulladh?

I've been working diligently to work through my checklist for what I hoped would be an early splash this year, but a bunch of us are still blocked in by a stinkpotter who decided to take his whole boat apart and leave it that way. My original plan for a March 24 launch turned into an April 27 launch, and now it looks like he won't be out of the way in time for that either. A bunch of other guys are complaining openly to the boat club.

Much as it would be nice to blame everything on this guy, my routine impeller replacement on my outboard has turned into a large project because I can't get the shift linkage off to remove the bottom unit. It looks like I'm going to have to remove the outboard that I just re-installed and take it down to the dealer for some professional TLC. (It's much easier and safer to remove it on the hard than it would be to wait until after splash.) I suspect the Honda dealer is busy this time of year, so chances are I can't be in by May 5.

To add insult to injury, I just got an email from Delaware City Marina - half price docking that weekend - $1 per foot. You probably got the same email.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 04-23-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2012

gershel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
A bit far in the future but planning trips make spring feel closer.

Last time I came up from Delaware City I went behind Pea Patch and saved about 2nm not having to round the shoals down river from Pea Patch. Water depth 35ft Delaware City to the overhead power lines, then 20ft to meet shipping channel off Newcastle.

Can't remember how many times I've done that trip, but I see no advantage to this route. Getting into the river, and getting over to the right for the upcoming right turn after the tower pylon seems like a much better option. Also, the current is much stronger in the main part of the river. Going west behind Pea Patch at low tide (which would be the correct time to be transiting this area)could be hairy. For the negligable amount of time saved, I don't think it's worth it.
Old 04-24-2012

Ulladh is on a distinguished road

Still on for 5th of May at Delaware City.

I was away last week and hoped the boat would be in when I got back this morning (red eye from LA), but no such luck.

Today was to much wind for the travel lift, so I will be going in early evening tomorrow at high tide.

Gershel
I have only used the DE side of Pea Patch once, the main advantage I see was that I eliminated the 180 deg "U" turn at the down river end of Pea Patch, which cut out about 2 nm from my DE City to Essington trip.
Old 04-24-2012

gershel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
Still on for 5th of May at Delaware City.

Gershel
I have only used the DE side of Pea Patch once, the main advantage I see was that I eliminated the 180 deg "U" turn at the down river end of Pea Patch, which cut out about 2 nm from my DE City to Essington trip.
Ulladh, Sorry, I was thinking you were exiting the C & D. Next time I'll read better.
Marc
Old 04-25-2012

Unless stopping at Delaware City for fuel, rest, or historic sites, there is no advantage going on the DE side of Pea Patch exiting the C&D to go up river or coming down river to enter the C&D.
Old 04-25-2012
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Don't think I'm going to make this one my friends, I have a YC opening day event, Victorian picnic, and car show, that same day.. eep! YC comes first I guess! Have fun!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-26-2012

Splashed yesterday. I have a week to or so to get to know my boat again before the trip to Delaware City.
I will be in Delaware City late afternoon or early evening May 5.

Just made my slip reservation at Delaware City.

Last edited by Ulladh; 04-26-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-30-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

I've been laying low so as not to drag you through every dramatic twist and turn. But here's where things stand now:

The motor is at the Honda dealer, with parts scheduled to come in today or tomorrow. There's a chance he can have it back to me by Thursday, which would allow for a splash on Friday at noon high tide. If so, we can do a shakedown for a couple of hours that day, and join you sailing down the river on Saturday.

All this depends on the repair getting done quickly, and I won't know that until Wednesday or Thursday. Let's hope for the best.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 05-01-2012

Rain and thunder storms through Friday then low 70's and sunny/part cloudy Saturday and Sunday. It should be a leisurely cruise down river on Saturday in the gentle winds that usually come after thunderstorms pass, but the weather gods may be playing games with us.

Hope your outboard will be humming along smoothly by the weekend, it usually takes me until June to get the idle setting on the cable remote just right on my Tohatsu. I still have work to do but nothing critical, this year I have promised myself to get the main sail reefing to work without having to dash back and forth between mast and cockpit.
Old 05-01-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

Congrads on getting your boat splashed and getting out! weather looked great in the pics. A little to far to actually visit for the party this weekend but hope to catch some pics of it on your site or even here! Have Fun!

My two lovely ladies!!

Last edited by Cruiser2B; 05-01-2012 at 10:33 AM.