Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Delaware River May 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
Rain and thunder storms through Friday then low 70's and sunny/part cloudy Saturday and Sunday. It should be a leisurely cruise down river on Saturday in the gentle winds that usually come after thunderstorms pass, but the weather gods may be playing games with us.

Hope your outboard will be humming along smoothly by the weekend, it usually takes me until June to get the idle setting on the cable remote just right on my Tohatsu. I still have work to do but nothing critical, this year I have promised myself to get the main sail reefing to work without having to dash back and forth between mast and cockpit.
The motor is fixed, and I reserved a slip at the marina. Is anyone else coming besides Ulladh and me?

As for the weather, there are some scattered/isolated thunderstorms forecast for Fri & Sat. What makes me nervous is how various websites differ in their forecast highs for Saturday by 12°, which is a sign that there's some wacky stuff moving through that nobody can really predict. Hopefully the forecast will stabilize by Friday and we'll know what to expect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2012

Ulladh is on a distinguished road

From NWS for this weekend at Delaware City;

Saturday: Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming E around 6 kt in the morning. A chance of showers. Waves 1 ft or less.

Saturday Night: E wind 5 to 7 kt becoming NE after midnight. Mostly cloudy. Waves 1 ft or less.

High on Saturday mid 70's, high on Sunday low 70's, high 50's overnight.

Early morning rain at Essington on Saturday, hopefully that will pass before noon.
Not much of a breeze but enough for a respectable sail with the tide.

Still a few days to go for the weather gods to have some fun with us.
Old 05-04-2012

Off to Delaware City late morning tomorrow on the ebb tide, May 5 arriving late afternoon/early evening. I will be on the 20ft doublender with red roller furler headsail, stop by if you will be there.

Essington
Saturday: A slight chance of showers. Patchy fog before 8am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 77. Northeast wind between 8 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Delaware City
Saturday: NE wind 6 to 9 kt becoming E 9 to 12 kt in the afternoon. A chance of showers, mainly before 4pm. Patchy fog before 8am. Waves 1 ft or less. Mid 70's F

Saturday Night: ESE wind 8 to 11 kt becoming E 5 to 8 kt in the evening. Mostly cloudy. Waves 1 ft or less. Mid 50'd F

Sunday: NE wind 6 to 8 kt becoming ESE in the afternoon. Mostly sunny. Waves 1 ft or less.Low 70's F

NE shifting to E wind on Saturday should make for a relaxed sail all the way, but NE shifting to ESE will make the return on Sunday at sunrise on a flood tide, a slow slog unless we get more of a S component.
Old 05-04-2012
Proud "picnic sailor"

Ulladh - The boat is wet and the bilge is dry, so we're on for tomorrow. Lori will be with me. Are you leaving right at noon, or some other time? We'll try to stay right with you for the trip.

Crabby Dick's recommends reservations for Saturday nights. I'll be happy to call - are you by yourself? What time would you like to head over there? (That was me that just tried to call your cell phone.)

If anyone else wants to join us, let me know here and I'll add to our group.

[EDIT: As a starting point, I booked reservations for 4 at 7:30 outside. I'll increase/reduce and/or change times as appropriate.]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)

Last edited by TakeFive; 05-04-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-05-2012
Proud "picnic sailor"

Ulladh - If we get any side-by-side sailing opportunities, please take a few pictures of us and I'll do the same for you. I've never gotten any pictures of us under sail.

Old 05-05-2012

Rhythm
I will be in Essington about 11:00 this morning, I'll give you a call then, and if you are around will stroll over to Anchorage, before departure.

The fog/light rain should be over by 10:00AM.

Will have camera ready for sail-by.
Old 05-07-2012

The trip down river Take Five as buddy boat was in a slowly lifting fog in light NE winds, but enough to sail all the way to Delaware City on the ebb tide.

Old 05-08-2012
Proud "picnic sailor"

I forgot my Gorillapod, so I didn't get any video. But I did get some nice still pics of Ulladh. First, I particularly liked this guy's dinghy. He was passing under the Commodore Barry Bridge. Ulladh missed seeing this because he was coming down the other side of the river at the time:

Here's Ulladh:

My favorite angle (having just passed him) Note that the sun actually came out for a few minutes:

I saw this one coming on AIS before he was in view, and honked my horn at Ulladh to try to warn him [EDIT: Oops, wrong caption, this is not the one that I honked about. This was a different ship.]:

Ulladh likes this.

Last edited by TakeFive; 05-08-2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old 05-08-2012
Proud "picnic sailor"

The Admiral and I got our signals a little crossed when packing up for our cruise. I talked her into wearing shorts instead of jeans because temps were about 70 and we would be sailing downwind. She thought I was telling her not to bring jeans at all. So on our return trip, when it was in the 50s and we were close hauled into a steady breeze, she was just a tad chilly. As a result, this is how she spent most of the trip back (aside from periodically coming on deck to help come about):

I think I posted here awhile back about my project to chop my way-oversized cabin table into three parts with drop leaves. You can see here that it really provides a lot more maneuvering space in the cabin.

Old 05-08-2012

Rhythm
You honked and pointed to the oil barge in the Delaware City refinery channel behind me. Turned to starboard (oil dock on my port side) to place my canoe stern into the wake and placed my course behind Pea patch, last red buoy to second cable tower off the DE side. I was spending to much time working on paper charts to see the barge.

Left Delaware City wearing a long sleeve tee shirt, but 30 mins later at the red buoy had my foul weather gear on for warmth all the way to Essington. Tee shirt weather at Essington.

Passed under the over head power lines by the time your faster boat was at the up river end of Pea Patch Dike.

I was doing a mix of sail and motor sail from Cherry Island Flats to get to Essington before the tide change.

Take Five

Last edited by Ulladh; 05-08-2012 at 10:55 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.