Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2012

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Delaware River May 5

My marina will start splashing boats 3rd week of March, so I hope to be on the water by the 1st week of April and itching for some longer day trips.

Any interest in a sail and meet-up at Delaware City for their "5 May 2012 Opening Day at the marina with a Cinco de Mayo Celebration Live Latin music and Salsa Dancing".
Old 02-14-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
I got an email from Delaware City Marina yesterday mentioning that event.

Sounds like the Delaware River tides are running perfectly for an afternoon departure on Saturday and a return early Sunday morning. We have the usual uncertainties around my son's activities for that weekend (which aren't nailed down yet), so we will keep it in mind as the date approaches and hope we can make it work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2012

A bit far in the future but planning trips make spring feel closer.

12:00 noon depart Essington on Saturday 5th of May.
Denise that would be a 9:00AM departure for you.

6:30 AM departure from Delaware City on Sunday6th to catch the tide back.

Last time I came up from Delaware City I went behind Pea Patch and saved about 2nm not having to round the shoals down river from Pea Patch. Water depth 35ft Delaware City to the overhead power lines, then 20ft to meet shipping channel off Newcastle.
Old 02-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
...Last time I came up from Delaware City I went behind Pea Patch and saved about 2nm not having to round the shoals down river from Pea Patch. Water depth 35ft Delaware City to the overhead power lines, then 20ft to meet shipping channel off Newcastle.
I always thought that would cut off a lot of time (especially since the backtracking has to go against the current), but I was worried about shifting shoals that you had mentioned. I'm glad you "tested the waters" for us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)

Last edited by TakeFive; 02-15-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-15-2012

I think you still have to keep an eye on the depth sounder through that section.

Off the shooting range south of Newcastle (just love it when you look at the note for shooting range on the chart and hear gun fire at the same time) I had to correct my course a few times to stay in 20ft water, but nothing less than 16ft. This was about 2hrs after high tide.

http://www.waterwayguide.com/waterwa...9'&zoom=14

Last edited by Ulladh; 02-15-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
I think you still have to keep an eye on the depth sounder through that section.

Off the shooting range south of Newcastle (just love it when you look at the note for shooting range on the chart and hear gun fire at the same time) I had to correct my course a few times to stay in 20ft water, but nothing less than 16ft. This was about 2hrs after high tide.

Waterway Cruising Guide | Waterway Planner
Did you consider going slightly east of that, between the next pair of towers west of the underwater dike? It's a little shallower there (16-18 ft charted depth vs. 22-20 ft) but still plenty deep (according to the chart) and a lot wider if you need to tack against a southerly or southwesterly breeze. Or were you motoring by this point? Either way you need to stay clear of the unmarked mud flats - just a question of which side to pas them on.

That waterway guide looks real cool. I'll have to spend some time learning to use it.

Old 02-15-2012

Motoring, no wind, against the tide, glassy smooth water until wind picked up and tide in my favor after Marcus Hook.

Used a line between the overheaad power line 1st pylon off DE and western-most tank/standpipe at Newcastle for 1st range, to line up with the Newcastle range light, then green 5D on the Deepwater Point Range.

Water shoals rapidly on DE side, more gently on the dike side, but I may have been over the shoal between the two fingers of deeper water at the Newcastle range.

The dike at low tide looks menacing, so I would keep well clear even at high tide.
Old 02-15-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Ulladh How well marked is the channel behind Pea Patch?

my current "project"!
Old 02-16-2012

Denise
The channel behind Pea Patch has no ATON's and no private markings, and does not get surveyed as frequently as the main channel.

But, there are enough charted features on land, main channel buoys, and dike pylons in visual range that it is easy to triangulate position.

But, again keep an eye on the depth sounder, this is typical Delaware River water with locations that go from 9ft to 2ft in less than my 20ft boat length. I keep my depth sounder alarm at 10ft on the river.
Old 02-16-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
uh.... not for me I guess!

my current "project"!