SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Grenada (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/83881-grenada.html)

Dennisvj 02-14-2012 10:44 AM

Grenada

Greetings to all,
My husband and I have a 40 foot monohull (6 foot draft) that we live aboard, and are currently sailing in the Caribbean. We're looking for a place to leave her in the water this May and June where she'll be secure as we take care of personal business. We're thinking of leaving her on a mooring or dock and paying someone to look after her for the two months we're away. Has anyone had any experience with marinas in Grenada or having someone watch a boat in Grenada? We'd rather not pull her out of the water.
I've found three marinas through the web including: Secret Harbor, Clarkes Point and Le Phare Bleu. Has anyone had any experience with these marinas? Are there others we should consider?

TQA 02-14-2012 10:53 AM

Either Clarks Court Bay or Secret Harbour would be my choice.

Bob the boss lives on site at Clarks Court Bay and their bar is one of the social hubs of the cruising community. Also their docks are side ties.

Minnewaska 02-14-2012 11:31 AM

If I were going to be gone for two months, I would pull her out. No fear of dock rash from storms, leaks, etc. Why are you opposed?

kwaltersmi 02-14-2012 11:39 AM

Try contacting the crew from Windtraveler.net. They are the most recent authority on cruising/living aboard in Grenada.

Dennisvj 02-14-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TQA (Post 831352)
Either Clarks Court Bay or Secret Harbour would be my choice.

Bob the boss lives on site at Clarks Court Bay and their bar is one of the social hubs of the cruising community. Also their docks are side ties.

Thanks TQA! I have head some good things about Clarks Court, and I believe they have moorings as well as dock space.

Dennisvj 02-14-2012 03:49 PM

Thanks Minnewaska - We haven't totally ruled out pulling her. At this point we thought we'd actually be gone for a couple of weeks, be back for another couple and then be gone again. I was thinking that possibly having her on a mooring might be a good option allowing us to live on her and sail her in between our travels...but you do make a good point about the down side of leaving her in the water. I had looked up Spice Island Marine initially however their website appeared to indicate a minimum of 6 months if they pull and store her. I'm sure there are other options.

Dennisvj 02-14-2012 03:50 PM

Thanks I will check on windtraveler.

killarney_sailor 02-14-2012 05:41 PM

We spent some time anchored off Clarke's Court and found it a great spot. Bob is a very nice guy and the cruising community there is very active so you would likely find someone to keep an eye on your boat. I only remember a couple of moorings there. The docks are excellent.

Minnewaska 02-14-2012 07:59 PM

Need bottom paint? They may just hold her on the hard for you until you get back. Two birds, one haul.

TQA 02-14-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennisvj (Post 831454)
Thanks TQA! I have head some good things about Clarks Court, and I believe they have moorings as well as dock space.

Yes they have moorings.

I spent some of last summer in the Bay and visited Clarks Court Bay marina for the burger nights, movie nights, book swap and shopping bus trips as well as the epic pot lucks. [Will be back by this August.]

All of which you would miss.