Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2012

mikel1 is on a distinguished road
LOT'S of good options in/on Narragansett bay . . .Newport, Jamestown, Wickford, Allen harbor, . . .it's a great destination itself and near a lot etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2012

rmeador is on a distinguished road
I'll second something in or near Boston. I like Rainsford Island.
Old 02-17-2012

JKCatalina310 is on a distinguished road
third for Boston

Rainsford is nice. Worlds end if someone gets over there early and gets one of the moorings.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
Old 02-17-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Great idea, SBL. I thnk you should focus on Narragansett Bay area (since you are there) and put a stake in the ground. Otherwise, the NE coast is too big. Let others do a Boston or LI Sound get together.

I would go if I could on gameday. I can never comitt in advance. Between work and spouse induced boat guests, my boating schedule is not always my own.

Ideas:

Newport moorings
Connanicut Marina moorings
Dutch Harbor rafting
Bristol Harbor
Potters Cove
Goddard beach in Greenwich
Wickford cove

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-17-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I'd be interested if it's in August or September. Not sure if I'll go that far north this year, but it would be a reason to.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

Old 02-17-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road
i will becasue my little 16' won't make it to boston lol. And the further we go out of sakonnet river the less chance i have of going. well if it is further away i would be able to take the motor boat there but not the sailboat. any were in the sakkonet river would be a yes ill be there but further out is iffy for me. id love to meet up and see other sailnet ers.
Old 02-17-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallboatlover View Post
i will becasue my little 16' won't make it to boston lol. And the further we go out of sakonnet river the less chance i have of going. well if it is further away i would be able to take the motor boat there but not the sailboat. any were in the sakkonet river would be a yes ill be there but further out is iffy for me. id love to meet up and see other sailnet ers.
Understood, but that's not a firm stake. If you want to pull this off, float a date and place and jazz up the plan. Place to go ashore, overnight, lunch, dinner?

Don't take my word for it, but I suspect the Bay will be a bigger draw. I have no idea of the status/clearance of the RT 24 bridge lately. Can you get out of the top of the river, over to Bristol, or Potters or Greenwich?

Just ideas from me, my odds of making it aren't excellent, so take the advice for what it is worth.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-17-2012

DrB will become famous soon enough
Boston Harbor Islands/Peddocks Island

Peddocks Island in the Boston Harbor Island Archipelago has about 20 deepwater moorings that can be reserved for a few $. Although, not especially close to anything except Hull, MA, it is a nice area and an ideal area for a raft up in the Massachusetts area that could be a an easy day sail from places in Buzzards Bay, P-town, or as far north as Rockport/Gloucester, MA.

It is also not in Boston Harbor per se, which I find a pain-in-the-butt to sail in during a nice summer w/e.

Cuttyhunk, while nice sounding, is a LONG sail for me, and unless I left at 7AM in the morning, had good wind, and the currents through the canal we at a favorable time, it would take me 2 days to get there.

DrB
Old 02-17-2012

rmeador is on a distinguished road
I believe last year the only moorings at Peddocks were private. The ones formerly operated by Constitution Marina were all pulled out two winters ago due to a dispute with the city. There is some other company now operating moorings (the name eludes me at the moment) but there aren't as many of them as there used to be, and I don't know where they are.
Old 02-17-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road
no sakkonet river doesn't really have places to go on shore really other then fogland beach and ect. the bridge is a go don't worry about it. there isn't any closures as of now and the mast high i wanna say it 65 ft or 75 something like that. bristol would be a stretch but i could probally do that with my motor boat. my 14' motor boat. but i would only be able to stay a few hours before i had to start my trip back. but that would be a bad idea if the wind kickd up i would be screwed.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.