Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012

meuritt is on a distinguished road
For those free charts, click here. If you have a good printer available, you can print them pretty large. I print mine at 12x18 and trim the waste off. I seriously don't mind marking them up like I do the store bought ones.

Also, check out the Power Squadron or Coast Guard Auxiliary for the safe boating and more advanced courses. I just completed the CG Aux advance navigation, which turned out to be 90% review for me, but still worth the time.

My trip up to Stockton December 2010 from Richmond was my first time up delta. I really enjoyed it, reinforced the idea of being aware of the current. For instance we had to wait until about ten in the morning to head inland the second day of the two day trip. A bright, sunny day, just wanting to get there, but to have left earlier would have been bucking the current, possibly even sailing backward with an in the water speed of 6.

We also encountered a real ship in what seemed at the time like a very small S curve, how was he going to get by us? We turned around and hid behind the red marker on the inside, knowing he would be on the outside of the turn.

All in all, it was about ten hours of motoring, since I carry more than 100 gallons of fuel I had no worries, but with your outboard and the likelihood of no wind, you should try to get an idea of fuel consumption so you don't run out at some inconvenient place.

Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2012

Jody M is on a distinguished road
Hey dabnis. Your lesson suggestion is well met. I am in the mindset at this point that if it gets hairy, I am just gonna drop sail a little, a lot, or all the way, turn the motor on, which will probably already be on, and head back to the last marina I passed. If its benicia,richmond, or even if its only half an hour straight back to where I started at oyster point ,,, no big deal really,, REALLY! If I turned cause of weather, I just wait it out. If I turned cause I realize, well, its just a little too out of my comfort zone, then I pay for a slip till I am done with some lessons. And as far as my " Jeez I hope I dont find out this isn't for me" it was misleading and I'm sorry.
Well, what I really should have said was, " I hope I am capable of being a good seaman. " Sailing appears to be a hobby for some, a lifestyle to others, and possibly an issue of survival to everyone. However, I LITERALLY KNOW I will enjoy it and it is for me. I hope to cruise offshore someday and make ocean passages to other countries and continents. I feel the more I learn, the more I need to know, and "I don't want to find out someday" I am not capable of things like navigating an entire ocean with paper, pencil, parallel rulers, and a compass, because I don't have the aptitude. Honestly.
The seasick icon IS REALLY COOL THOUGH!!!
Old 02-18-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody M View Post
Hey dabnis. Your lesson suggestion is well met. I am in the mindset at this point that if it gets hairy, I am just gonna drop sail a little, a lot, or all the way, turn the motor on, which will probably already be on, and head back to the last marina I passed. If its benicia,richmond, or even if its only half an hour straight back to where I started at oyster point ,,, no big deal really,, REALLY! If I turned cause of weather, I just wait it out. If I turned cause I realize, well, its just a little too out of my comfort zone, then I pay for a slip till I am done with some lessons. And as far as my " Jeez I hope I dont find out this isn't for me" it was misleading and I'm sorry.
Well, what I really should have said was, " I hope I am capable of being a good seaman. " Sailing appears to be a hobby for some, a lifestyle to others, and possibly an issue of survival to everyone. However, I LITERALLY KNOW I will enjoy it and it is for me. I hope to cruise offshore someday and make ocean passages to other countries and continents. I feel the more I learn, the more I need to know, and "I don't want to find out someday" I am not capable of things like navigating an entire ocean with paper, pencil, parallel rulers, and a compass, because I don't have the aptitude. Honestly.
The seasick icon IS REALLY COOL THOUGH!!!
Generally, the winds are light this time of year unless a storm is coming in. If you watch the forecast you should just have the tides to consider. Hope you have a good trip.

Dabnis
Old 02-18-2012

paul323 is on a distinguished road
Jody, lots of good advice. Don't get intimidated - with a little planning and preparation, it should be a straightforward trip. Watch the weather, plan for the tides; as you said, if it becomes too much, drop the sails. Generally at this time of year there is no wind anyway, but that'll change soon (hopefully).

Make sure you have the basics: For the boat: A sound boat with fuel, a working VHF, flares, charts, anchor. For you: food, water, warm clothing, lifejacket - you already have the positive mental attitude. Practice motoring/sailing before you set out on the journey. The rest is gravy! Just take your time - don't be in a rush; as you said, if things are getting out of control (weather tide, etc) get into the nearest marina. Sounds like a fun trip. I remember my first trip in a new boat - hours and hours of planning over a couple of weeks - the actual journey took a fraction of that time!
Old 02-18-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Forgot this, You will probably encounter quite a bit of commercial traffic, ships, barges, tugs & so on. They are committed to the channels and will close on you at an alarming rate. You will see the ones coming at you but I suggest you keep a close, constant watch BEHIND you. Also suggest you keep as far to the outside edge of the channel as you can, watch your sounder carefully. I think they just assume you will get out of their way if you see them coming. For liability purposes they might get on the horn or try full reverse just before they run you down, although tugs probably won't want to wind up the tow cable in their props.

Dabnis
Old 02-18-2012
Cruising

RandyonR3 is on a distinguished road
Going to thro my two cents in here, been up and down the delta from SF to Isleton (OxBow Marina) a dozzen times a year, over the last 20 years.. our boat is a FIRST 42 , Beneteau with a 8.6 draft..

I've got all the charts here if you want to stop in and pick them up on your way down and I'll go over the route while you are setting here, where to stop, where to eat and where to anchor or where not to..

We own the Canvas and upholstery shop at OxBow just outside of Isleton.. we're also open 7 days a week..
Jody M likes this.

Last edited by RandyonR3; 02-18-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2012

I really appreciate the time you ALL have spent on my behalf. Not one word has fell on deaf ears. Some of you (several really it seems) have been back to check on this post every day or more.
Dabnis, thanks,Faster too. Paul and meuritt. Randy to the rescue just to make sure!
I really gotta give it up to n8kraft for The Active captain site. Georgeb,thanks for the time you put into giving me my route and landmarks and sailor beware spots. I've dry run this voyage now for hours. And continue to do so. Gonna print out this WHOLE THREAD and take it with me.
Seriously I got something out of every post reply. Incredible. Much thanks. Just waitin for Obama to spit back some $$$ so I can start this thing off. How is it we pay taxes all day, every day.. and the one time they gotta return the favor they can drag THEIR feet?
Old 02-19-2012
Cruising

RandyonR3 is on a distinguished road
If you are going to stop by, give us a shout so to make sure we're in the shop.. could be out on the docks..
209-327-9870
OxBow Canvas
OxBow Marina
Isleton, Ca.
Old 02-19-2012

I will do that. See you soon !
Old 02-22-2012

Daydreamer22 is on a distinguished road
Cali Delta SF Bay

Thanks JodyM for questions and everyone for your answers and insight.

Being a trailer/ lake sailor for the last few years I have been developing interest in sailing the SF Bay area.

Signed up at ActiveCaptain, planning to buy charts this spring. Reading all I can about sailing the bay.

Thinking about starting out in Vallejo.

Cheers