Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2012

Jody M is on a distinguished road
Question HELP? Attn:Cali Delta SF Bay sailors

Buying a boat. first step outta the way thank you problem is Its on the wrong side of the san francisco bay. I live in Sacramento, want to tie up in the Delta near Isleton, Brannan Island. Get more experience in Delta before committing permanently to the bay.
I do have a little experience ( 4 years in lakes on a 14 ft. dinghy) and a few times in a 24 foot morgan on the deep water channel near pittsburgh/antioch. My issue, obviously lack of experience and identifying landmarks sailing from west to east and inland under the drawbridges. I plan to only daysail and tie up overnight if it takes more than a day to go(sail/motorsail) from oyster point san mateo across bay to Isleton. Assuming that I have fair weather and a reliable boat with sound equipment,, sails motor compass,, Could I get a few people that sail in these areas to give me a reliable time and distance estimate. The present owner is possibly willing to sea trial/co-sail across the bay with me. After that I am on my own,, somewhere between confident and terrifed

Last edited by Jody M; 02-15-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: misspelled
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Hi Jody.. welcome to Sailnet.

You may get more meaningful responses if you give a little more detail on the boat (size, type and esp. draft) and perhaps more specifics on when you want to do this, so that those local to your area can better understand just what you'll need to do/worry about.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-15-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Sailing in that area can be somewhat limited due to shallow water. In the summer you will have lots of wind coming up the river. That, with ebb currents can make for a lot of short steep chop. We brought our Coronado 25 down from Rio Vista to Sausalito in the summer, nasty trip. I would think getting some experience in the open Bay with more room to sail might be easier than sailing in the Isleton area. You might consider getting a berth in Richmond or the East side of the Bay, not too bad a drive from Sacramento.

Dabnis
Old 02-15-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
When we go up to the Delta, we time it to ride the flood. Usually we leave Alameda around 5 AM and have the anchor down at Three River Reach near Tinsley Is. by happy hour. We can also average greater than 5 kts over that 70 NM distance. What is your boat and do you have any idea of it's speed potential? You may want to consider stopping at Pt. Richmond or Marina Bay on the first night. I'm thinking that this is probably a three day trip given your experience. I suggest the second night at Vallejo/Martinez and do Susuin Bay/ Middle Ground in the morning (and diring a flood tide!).
Jody M likes this.
Old 02-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
When we go up to the Delta, we time it to ride the flood. Usually we leave Alameda around 5 AM and have the anchor down at Three River Reach near Tinsley Is. by happy hour. We can also average greater than 5 kts over that 70 NM distance. What is your boat and do you have any idea of it's speed potential? You may want to consider stopping at Pt. Richmond or Marina Bay on the first night. I'm thinking that this is probably a three day trip given your experience. I suggest the second night at Vallejo/Martinez and do Susuin Bay/ Middle Ground in the morning (and diring a flood tide!).
Good point!! We chose to anchor out on the way down behind some small island (Bird Island?) that we saw on the chart thinking it would provide some shelter and we couldn't have been more wrong. Opposing currents and wind caused our anchor line to wrap around the rudder, tons of grief!!. Suggest you find a marina for your overnight stop. Strongly suggest not running in the dark.

Dabnis
Old 02-16-2012

meuritt is on a distinguished road
With that distance you do want to be careful about choosing your time/tide. If you hope to be moving soon, you are not going to be doing much sailing, you will be listening to the droning of the motor. Ride the flood, check the current tables in the back of the tide books, stay on the correct side of the tide rips and enjoy.

Last year, after all the rains, I came down out of the delta riding a huge ebb, the gps showed 11 knots, which would be a 5+ current. Going against that would have been about 1knot over ground.
Old 02-16-2012

Jody M is on a distinguished road
OUCH!! meuritt, 1 knot over ground. Thanks for the reality check.
Very good info guys. Thanks very much. I will research the marinas/islands landmarks you mentioned. As for the boat, I am actually finallizing the deal next week. Have my choices narrowed to 3 potential buys.1.) A 1973 Cal T2 27 ft. hull speed 7 knots. 2.) A 26 ft Gary mull designed (built early 70's)Ranger 25 Hull speed of 5. Needs a little work. 3.) A 1965 24 Ft. Colombia challenger Hull speed unknown sorry maybe 6 ? The Challenger is in best shape and looks weather/beginner friendliest. The Cal t2 is wider beam but appears to have been designated/designed more racer class ( in its design day) but also looks stable. ALL boats have Well working outboards, The ranger's running lines need replacing. All sails are in good or excellent condition.
The Cal is in Oyster point. The Ranger too. The Challenger is already in Richmond. ............ Now. next question.....
Not having any charts.. Is there an online sight ( Google Earth or something like it) that I can view charts, or simulate line of sight bearing points, or landmarks for turning into the proper channels,rivers, sloughs? Also can anyone tell me how I communicate, (proper procedure)to get bridges up for my passing underneath, if there are any?
Thanks for the replies.. exactly what I was hoping to achieve.. thank you!

Last edited by Jody M; 02-16-2012 at 05:04 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 02-16-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody M View Post
. Now. next question.....
Not having any charts.. I
BUY SOME!! You need to have proper charts on board, and, nowadays hopefully a GPS and/or plotter - even a handheld. There's no shortcut here...

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 02-16-2012

Try a Google search for "NOAA downloadable Nauticle charts" or something like that. I can't get their site to come up right now. You can downlpoad any chart you want and print them out. Maybe not quite as convenient as the whole big charts but there is no charge to download them. We did a lot of sailing in the north Bay and there is plenty of room to gain experience. Richmond may be a good choice if you are driving from Sacramento. Let us know how it all turns out.

Dabnis
Old 02-16-2012
Just another Moderator

Rats... I forgot y'all get to download charts for free... wish that were so North of the border.
Agri likes this.