Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012

Tafa is on a distinguished road
Sail Re-Juvenation Myth or Truth

Hello everyone,

I came across to a website which is claiming re-rejuvenating dacron sails by treating them with some chemicals and resins (They call it Dacro-Nyolite)

Do you think such treatment would work?

Price-wise, it costs $1.85/sqf . (Not really reasonable, almost 50% of replacement cost)

Alternatively, I can apply the treatment by myself and optimize the cost. Do you know such chemical, resin, paint exist in the market? An aviator friend told the use clear polyurethane paint to to water and airproof the dacron material.

Have you ever tried this?

Thanks,

Tafa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
You can make an old sail clean and newer looking. You can't reduce it's age and deformed shape. These are not worth the money. Have them simply cleaned to prolong life, but you can't turn the clock back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-16-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
My experience with Sailcare is that re-resining is a short term fix that soon vanishes. It does stiffen the sail up a bit, but it doesn't last more than a year or two if you use the sail much at all. And the older the sail (in my experience), the less time it lasts.

In my case, since the price was right and I was only keeping the boat another year or two, I had it done. For me, it was a good value.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

Old 02-16-2012

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
I will second Minnewaska's & PBzeer's opinion with a caveat.

Having the sail reconditioned will stabilize and extend the life of an old sail, but it is still an old sail. The stitching is still weathered and the shape is what it is. So from that viewpoint, the sail won't perform any better, but it won't get any worse either. At least not immediately.

I would not even attempt to recondition a sail myself. Sailcare's process is patented and involves taking the old finish off the sail and re-impregnating the material under pressure. Their price in $0.95/sqft, with discounts during boat shows and in the fall. I have used them 3 times on 2 different boats and was satisfied with the results. Their customer service and sail repair capability is excellent. With that said, a reconditioned sail is only good for so long. We have since replaced our sails with new ones.

BTW - Sailcare also offers new sails. I believe that they are constructed offshore. Their new sail prices are average and would not be my first choice for a new sail.

Last edited by Sabreman; 02-16-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-16-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
I don't see how this chemical could possibly draw in stretched out fabric in a blown-out sail. It's like "tummy tuck in a bottle". Snake-oil, if you ask me.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 02-16-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
I don't see how this process could change the stretched out shape of an old sail. Maybe recutting the seams to original specs and then using this chemical process could work but how much cost difference would there be compared to a new sail after all that work. It's great to re-use stuff but I would question the effectiveness. Would like to know how they repair the inevitable UV damage to the molecular structure of dacron.
Old 02-16-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
The Sailcare process does indeed "tighten up" the sail throughout. How, I can't say, only that is my experience with having the main on my H 26 done.

One other caveat, if you're going to be keeping the boat for any length of time, you're better off to get a new sail. They aren't going to get any cheaper, and you'll have to buy any sooner or later.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 02-16-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafa View Post

Price-wise, it costs $1.85/sqf ....
Let's see... I just got a quote on a new mainsail for my Cal 2-27, which was about one kilo-buck (nuthin' fancy, just a basic Dacron coastal cruising main, loose-footed, two reef points). The main is about 160 square feet. So we're talking about $300 for a treatment that will make the sail look nice, and give it a little better shape for a year or so, verses $1000 for a brand, spanking, new sail that will probably last at least 10, maybe 20, times as long.

No brainer.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 02-16-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-16-2012
SeŮor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Let's see if I can add anything of value to this topic -- no promises, though.

I think the results of the outcome will depend a great deal on just how bad the old sail currently is. If it's old and grungy, but still has a decent shape, then the SailCare treatment will probably be good money spent. We had our 120% genoa treated -- and had a new UV band installed -- several years back and have been pretty stoked. When we we're bending it back on the r/f foil, lots of passersby said "ohh, new sail!"

If the old sail is blown, then treatment probably won't do much good as far as performance goes.

Should you send your sail to SailCare, they'll inspect your sail before they begin any work and let you know their findings. If there's a need for restiching or hardware replacement, or any other minor issues they'll annotate all that on a work order, which they'll then send you for acceptance and approval before they get underway.

If, in their opinion, the sail is not worth repairing they'll also let you know.

As I recall, most customer comments about SailCare and their customer service on this site (and others) have been almost unanimously positive.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-16-2012

Tafa is on a distinguished road
Thanks a lot everyone.

I did not know Sail Care and thanks for the information. (I was referring a local Ontario service provider). And it's great to hear your experience with them as well.

My findings from this thread;
- Don't even think about re-resine the sails DIY way.
- If you believe the sail has min. 3-4 years life left, consider Sail Care as an option.
- If the sails are dead, they are dead.... Don't try to bury them Stephen King's pet cemetery

Thanks again everyone,

Tafa

Tags
sail maintenance , sail re-fit , sail refurbishing

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.