Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012

bandaidmd is on a distinguished road
Another Maryland Fee Increase

State proposes hiking boat fees ē Top Stories (www.HometownAnnapolis.com - The Capital)

Boat sales are down which also hurts the revenue, no problem well just take more from the ones who already have boats.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough
Not unexpected for the state of MD which already has the 4th highest taxes in the entire country.
Since revenue income is down due to the economic depression one would think that government would curtail such expenses in proportion to economic decline ... instead it exacerbates economic decline by further PARASITIZING from its resident PREY SPECIES.
sawingknots likes this.
Old 02-16-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
$250 a year "registration" for a 36'r? At least in VA personal property tax is based on boat value and goes down as the boat ages and its value declines.

Lucky for me I only need to stay in MD waters 1 more year to be ahead on the use tax I paid to MD when I moved vs. the PP tax I would have paid VA if I'd stayed in VA.

So, I'll just move back to VA waters and be no worse off, if this becomes reality. I miss Deltaville anyway, and would rather pay PP tax in VA than an exhorbitant registration fee in MD.

It amazes me how politicians think nothing will change when they propose increasing the tax on a highly moveable asset by 20 times. (Correction I thought the fee was every year but it reamains every 2 years so ONLY a 10 times increase)
I think if they do this it will decimate MD boating industry.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 02-16-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-16-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Get out the KY you rich boaters--here it comes!

After reading the article link it's apparent that government does what it always does--screws the tax payers. Bob Gaudette, director of Maryland DNR's Boating Service talked about all these wonderful projects. He talked of keeping the waterways ice free during the winter. WHAT! Are you kidding me? The only ice breaking done by DNR is done for commercial fishing interests--not recreational boaters. Recreational boaters have their boats on the hard this time of year and that's where they've been since cold weather set in. But, Gaudette thinks we should pay for this folly.

The article goes on to say "The projects include maintaining thousands of buoys, markers and signs; maintaining 265 public boating channels; keeping channels free of ice in the winter; having Natural Resources Police conduct boating safety checks; removing abandoned boats; and maintaining public boating facilities."

Lets put things in perspective. Those public boating facilities he talks about maintaining are already being funded by a couple of hefty fees. Daily launch fees have skyrocketed at all state parks and county ramps. $7 to $10 per launch is the going rate, and if you look at the parking lot at the ramp of Sandy Point State Park you'll be hard pressed to find a parking spot on busy weekends. This parking lot covers several acres and even the access road is sometimes jammed with parked vehicles and boat trailers. And, be realistic Mr Gaudette--how much does the state spend each year on those concrete slabs that have been silting in for three decades? I've been covering this circuit for nearly 40 years and have yet to see a single ramp being maintained by DNR or a sub contractor. Are these people only working at night?

Removing abandoned boats? Sure, everyone knows a marina with a dozen or more abandoned boats, but DNR doesn't pay for their removal--the marina owner does. How many abandoned boats does DNR remove annually Mr Gaudette? I've only seen a handfull of abandoned boats in my life that were on state or federal properties, and they are all still where they were 30 years ago. Guess DNR must have missed these.

Gaudette says DNR maintains thousands of markers, buoys and signs. To begin with, I seriously doubt that DNR has thousands of buoys, and if they did, what does the maintenance entail? Powerwashing? Same holds true for markers and signs. On the Susquehanna River, when the hurricane washed the 6-MPH buoys downriver to the flats, they stayed there until the following spring when the ice flows carried them down the bay somewhere never to be seen again. They were never replaced. Guess the buoy maintenance crew never got the message.

And finally, DNR police need to conduct safety checks. Yeah--right! In more than 60 years of plying the waters of Chesapeake Bay I've been checked by DNR Police (NRP) three times. And, NRP has NEVER conducted a safety check on any of the dozen or more vessels I've owned. I did get checked twice in a single day, though. This was when I had an 18-foot Starcraft Mariner powered with a 75-HP Johnson Outboard, a nice, fast, center-console boat that had lots of room for fishing. I was fishing for white perch near the mouth of Fairlee Creek and had my 14-year-old daughter and two of her high-school friends with me at the time. It was a hot day in early June, the weather was beautiful, the winds were calm and the fish were not cooperating. The girls were all wearing bikinis about the size of Band-Aids. The girls spent more time swimming than fishing, and of course waving to the guys passing close enough for a peek at the gals. Next thing you know, there's a 17-foot Boston Whaler rolling down the bay that makes an abrupt turn and heads for our boat. The two guys on the boat didn't look much older than the girls, asked if we were catching any fish, to which I responded no! The asked to look in the cooler chest, which we allowed them to do, asked if there were enough PFDs onboard and I pointed to the PFD bag. They never checked anything. However, two hours later, another 17-foot Whaler shows up asking the same questions and ogling the gals. When we got back to the ramp at Gunpowder State Park, the park rangers couldn't do enough to help the ladies out of the boat.

The only other time I saw an NRP officer was at Point Lookout State Park. He asked if I was catching anything, I told him no, and he walked back to his car and left the ramp. The only people that have EVER done a REAL safety inspection of any boat I've owned has been the Coast Guard Auxiliary. They do an outstanding job and don't receive a dime for their efforts, though they do accept donations. They checked the boat from stem to stern, top to bottom, made recommendations, were extremely thorough and very courteous.

Gaudette says DNR maintains 256 public boating channels. I find that absolutely amazing. I've never seen a DNR dredge boat working anywhere in the entire state of Maryland during my entire life--NONE! Of course, they may sub contract the work out to private contractors, but if this is the case, how about providing us with a list of channels DNR has dredged during the past decade Mr Gaudette. Now, I see the Chesapeake's main shipping channel being maintained by the feds, which is an ongoing project that never seems to end. The channels leading to the state park ramps, however, are all pretty much silted in and I have yet to see one being dredged. Take a good look at the ditch leading from the bay into Sandy Point State Park's massive launch facility--it's pretty darned shallow these days. The same holds true for Gunpowder State Park, Susquehanna State Park, Point Lookout State Park, and nearly every state park launch ramp in the state.

Gaudette, like every high-ranking DNR official, claims he can fix all these things if you just give him more money--lots of money. Mr Gaudette should learn to live within his means. I for one intend to fight this piece of legislation with every means at my disposal. I will be contacting every state senator and delegate via email, letters and telephone calls to tell them to defeat this legislation. If they get enough calls, letters and emails the legislation will go down the tubes, which is where it should be--in the crapper!

Thanks to the OP for this information,

Gary
Old 02-16-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
What the [expletive of your choice] does this mean?

The fees would apply to boats that arenít registered in Maryland, but are state-documented vessels because they are primarily used here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 02-16-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post

The fees would apply to boats that arenít registered in Maryland, but are state-documented vessels because they are primarily used here.
I'm guessing it is typical poor journalism that means federally documented boats with an MD state address.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-16-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
This issue makes me think of NYS and the occupy nonsense. Everyone hates Wallstreet. Those b--tards make too much money. Regulate them, take thier bonuses away....... Get em. Low and behold, it started to work. Wallstreet made less money. Wait a minute! How did income tax revenue decline so much? Duh! Now they're trying to refill the hole by taxing someone else.

Rich people stink, but when they stop paying the boating bills in MD, apparently anyone left standing is the next victim. It truly has no end.
sawingknots likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-16-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
The fees would apply to boats that aren’t registered in Maryland, but are state-documented vessels because they are primarily used here.
In government-speak that means we're gonna get every penny we can outta this.

Quote:
“People recognize the great need for services that these funds provide,” she said. “We want to keep boating thriving and safe in Maryland.”
Evidently they mean to do this by taxing it out of existence.
sawingknots likes this.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 02-16-2012
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
I see from the article the exemption for motorless boats over 16 feet is on the chopping block..
Old 02-16-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post

In the vernacular lawyerly weasel-speak, it means that many of the federally documented boats with out of state hailing ports that are kept (principally) in Maryland and that also already pay the biannual MD excise/'use' fees (MD 'sticker') are going to be especially targeted for a 1000% tax increase, this would also include the foreign flagged boats.

Its just yet one more forceable extraction of money from the usual but rapidly diminishing prey species to operate an ever increasingly inefficient/bloated government agency .... and with ever decreasing return to those who are forced to pay such 'use'/excise tax. The obvious endpoint is the curtailment and elimination of common prosperity in order to support a quite increasingly affluent bureaucracy/oligarchy.

George III & Co. was less than 1/10000th as 'needy'.