Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
pbzeer.that sounds like a good idea to me,if i buy something online what is to stop some employee or clerk from using my c.card number or even sell it to someone else,like you i don't think my pc was hacked and because i seldom use my c.card [bank-of-america loves me no doubt]during the previous 2 months i had only 2 charges on my card.i'm seriously thinking of canceling my card,i really didn't even know about the prepaid cards
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Google the Zeus virus. You are all missing the point. This is a business for these criminals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-17-2012
Don't sail anymore

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Been wondering about this..
Old 02-17-2012
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road
Citibank has a service called "virtual card numbers" which lets you create a specific credit card number that can be limited to a single vendor, a certain credit limit, or a shortish expiration interval. I use it regularly, since I am more concerned about breaches and data theft from a vendor's systems than about my SSL connections being cracked.

Also, don't use the same password everywhere. I have one password I use at websites where I don't really care if somebody impersonates me, and they don't have any stored personal data. Any place else has a unique password for that site only.
Old 02-17-2012

mitchbrown is on a distinguished road
Most or all credit cards protect the customer 100% against fraudulent charges but it still can be a hastle. the problems will occure when using a debit card. The City card thing sounds pretty good. If your to paranoid to shop online you are missing out on a great convieneince for sure.

Mitch
Old 02-17-2012
was "wee happy"

way-happy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by svzephyr44 View Post
WiFi sniffing is one of the least productive methods for hackers to compromise your account. First, they have to be almost in the same room (WiFi doesn't travel that far,) have some software that would seem curious in an internet cafe, and be able to spend quite a bit of time hanging out waiting for the person logging into their bank account or business account.
While you say it may be one of the least productive methods, it is still very easy to do from any car parked right outside of a cafe or boat just outside of a marina lounge.

Quote:
Far more productive is to sit on the wired side of the connection (i.e. the connection from the cafe to the rest of the internet.) Using the same tools that are used to debug Ethernet connections they can read 100% of the traffic.
Yes, this is a reason why I am particularly worried for cruisers who pick up wifi somewhere on the icw or in some anchorage and just go ahead and use it to log into their email. You have no idea who is hosting that wifi signal and they may be data logging. Just lose your email account first, then then it can be a slippery slope to your other personal information. I use a VPN all the time now. It's a hassle, but *much less* of a hassle than losing my identity!

So far I've seen these specific recommendations presented for increasing your security while online while cruising:
Use HTTPS as often as possible
Use a cellphone based internet connection rather than wifi
Use a VPN

Using virtual card numbers and credit cards rather than debit cards are very good ideas. thanks.

Let me just say that keyloggers scare me, and I never use anyone else's computers to check my accounts any more! A key logger can be as simple as a small usb thumb/flash drive plugged into the back of someone's computer like at the library or that open terminal at the marina!

Last edited by way-happy; 02-17-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-17-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
A secure connection makes absolutely no difference, if you log on to an internet site that pushes a keystroke logger back to you. So it came back over a secure connection? So what? You're still infected. They still get your password and go hunting on the site you typed it into for your personal data.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-17-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
A secure connection makes absolutely no difference, if you log on to an internet site that pushes a keystroke logger back to you. So it came back over a secure connection? So what? You're still infected. They still get your password and go hunting on the site you typed it into for your personal data.
Visiting an infected site is a different problem, but one that is just as real. Beware of social engineering, which will attempt to convince you to install malware. If you are a Windows user, install antivirus and anti-malware packages, and set your firewall to deny any incoming connection requests. Even better, install an upgraded firewall that denies permission both inbound and outbound until you grant it. Checkpoint software's Zonealarm works like that. Keep up with all the updates.

I used to tell my kids when they were teens "To stay out of trouble, don't go where trouble is." The same is true for computing. Visit only trusted sites. If you have the moxie to learn a different operating system, don't use Windows. Windows is where most of the trouble is. More than 90% of malware targets Windows and its applications. Use LInux, OS X, BSD Unix, OpenSolaris. But keep up with the updates in these also. One caveat to even in this operating systems is to beware of applications that use windows-like scripting -- browsers and OpenOffice/LibreOffice come to mind immediately.
Pasadena, MD
Old 02-17-2012

You only need to load a picture, or link to a seemingly innocent site, or click anything that is designed to look exactly like the innocent thing you think you are clicking to get a virus now. The days of opening a suspicious attachment to an email are long past. Facebook is reportedly one of the best delivery channels for the Zeus virus.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 02-17-2012

JordanH is on a distinguished road
There is good advice on this thread, and some misinformation as well.

I work in the field and have to advise on this stuff often.
The most common, and simplest, form of gathering information is key loggers on public computers; Web cafe's, libraries, hotel lobbies etc. are easy targets. Enter only information into them that you would willingly share with a stranger on a bus.

A second, common, form of stealing credit card numbers is logging into pay wifi sites. You can find these false logins in public places; hotels, airports and so-on. You login thinking you are connecting to a hotspot by entering your credit card number and security code. There goes your credit card information.

Key loggers, viruses, wifi and ethernet sniffing are highly unlikely if you use your own equipment and an SSL connection. The latter methods are not needed on public terminals. Point being, avoid public terminals as they are often logged.

One further word of warning about public terminals. Only open attachments that contain information you would share with a stranger on a bus. When you open an attachment, it is downloaded (unprotected) to the terminal and may be accessible to others. For example, you download and view your e-mail over a secure connection and view a Word Document of a confidential work project. This file is saved in a 'temporary' location and may not be cleaned up when you log out. You *think* you were secure, but you have just shared that information with a nefarious ne're do well.

As for viruses... well... If you can't trust your operating system, nor your firewall, nor your antivirus software, perhaps you shouldn't be paying them for software that is poorly designed and insecure?
shanedennis likes this.

Last edited by JordanH; 02-17-2012 at 09:30 PM.