SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

i've stood all i can stand and me can't stands no more

5K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  Leocat66 
#1 ·
for the last 5 years i've had my py26 up here on a tenessee river [pond] lake,come mar.1st i'll be headed down to mobile bay and beyond [final destination undecided] my plan is to cruise until hur. season,at some point along the way i hope to sell my boat and not bring it back to tn. my boat is as ready as it will likely be,2 depth finders,2 handheld gps,2 vhf radios a diesel inboard with extra parts and a 9.9 outboard [just in case] and i have a solar system i'm franticly installing,ive already bought a laptop for comunicating and gathering info,any thoughts,advice will be appreciated!

#6 ·
Don't forget, in spring you can be dealing with higher water levels and a lot of debris heading downstream with you.

Reactions: sawingknots
#8 ·
any thoughts,advice will be appreciated!
Sail her around to the Chesapeake so we can meet up and you can meet some Chesapeake Sailnetters! Plan to be here in October for the boat show and you can just buy another boat to sail home in.

Perfect plan.

#9 ·
5 years ago i came up the tombigbee in may during a flood,the current was so strong at times i could barely make headway and the drift was so bad it wasn't possible to avoid all of it,i could only pick out the less evil looking to hit,i think at this time of year it will be before the spring floods and atleast i'll be running with the current.min! my plan is to retire in an american friendly foreign country.james!an old salt once told me that an adventure ain't always necessarily fun but sometimes down right scary as h*ll

#14 ·
Sawingknots, can you post a couple of photos and a description of how you are outfitting your boat? We are a couple years behind you for our own great escape. We hope to be rendezvousing with some friends in the SOC at the end of 2015 and I’m working up my cruising “punch list”.

#18 ·
Sawingknots, can you post a couple of photos and a description of how you are outfitting your boat? We are a couple years behind you for our own great escape. We hope to be rendezvousing with some friends in the SOC at the end of 2015 and I'm working up my cruising "punch list".
i'm kindof busy right now getting final prep but if you'll send me your e-mail i'll get back with you.ken

#15 ·
Sawingknots, we are neighbors, I'm upriver in Hawkins county, Rogersville TN on the Holston river. There is only a damn dam between me and the Gulf of Mexico.

#27 ·
clifton,tn

Saw,

I'm green with envy!

Don't miss happy hour at the Clifton, TN marina on your way south -- really good people, lots of local character, and a nice little marina to spend the night in.

All the best,
PF
thanks pf but i'll be turning south from picwick lake onto the tentom,i'm coming from i 40 near knoxville,i-40 crosses the tn. river twice apparently.ken

#30 ·
You'll have a great time!

I did the Tenn-Tomm last spring from Kentucky Lake dam to Mobile, AL. Got hit by the storms and flood waters, but had a great time. My wife joined me in Mobile, and we sailed to The Keys, and on up the coast to Maine. We cruised some beautiful areas until time to get back to work, when we sold our Cheoy Lee 31 ketch by listing it on Craigslist.

Be sure and take a couple good anchors and plenty of chain and rode.

#32 ·
maybe i can stand a little more!due to not yet having my boat as ready as i want and some other problems i've decided to move aboard but near home,i'll spend the summer anchoring in various coves and head south after huricane season if i need whatever i'll be near known resourses

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.