Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road
Scariest moment...
was'nt when cockpit filled with water and did'nt drain so fast...
was'nt when in blinding horz. rain and wind driving it...
was'nt when in zero visibility plotted course in shallow water just outside shipping
channel and towering container ship overtook us not 200 ft away.
was'nt when with wind gusting in excess of 50 kts (took head break) found myself
standing on bulkhead.

It was when I realized I was in charge!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
Wow, lots of character building stuff.

1. We have had a ~8500 ton ship play chicken with us - 4 tacks and it altered its course each time to give us a scare. I turned to shallow water and it ended up running over a wave rider bouy. It went past about 15m from us.

I didnt even think of calling it up on VHF, just was busy getting out of its way.

2. put a BFS sticker on the car and waited for the backlash.... still waiting
Are you sure the captain of that ship hadn't seen the BFS sticker? Backlash of jealousy. Heh-heh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-21-2012
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
The weather was to be 108* and humid that day but the breeze was supposed to build throughout the day so I decided to go for a short sail early in the morning. The outboard wouldn't start, but already there was a decent wind which would blow me back to shore and I can land a boat under sail (dinghy sailor powers!).
I was single handed in the Drascombe, threw in a reef and had a really nice speedy sail across the lake. I turned around got half way back and the wind went to 0. Not even a half knot. 0. The water turned to glass.

I had no shade either. The sun was straight up by then and baking me.
I waited a bit. Surely the wind would come back.

Nope.

What also sucks is the boat has a conservative amount of canvas. There's no boom either. This makes for a crappy light wind boat.

I got a very, very, very slight wind, enough to make me drift some but away from where I needed to go. I couldn't tack because the rudder stalled the boat.
It took 4 hours for me to get back to the ramp. I had run out of water, my head was now pounding, I was feeling weak, shaking, yadda yadda.

I was really worried for my safety that day.

I don't know where I found it in me to get the boat loaded on the trailer and packed up. That was one of those "dig deep" type days.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 02-21-2012

waterwks4me is on a distinguished road
This happened back around 1978 with DR nav. and VHF only on my Ranger 29, heading home from the Abaco's in the Bahama's. Holed up for two days around West End waiting for the weather to cooperate for the gulf stream crossing back to Ft. Lauderdale. Midday skies clear up and wind speeds drop to around 6 kts. Another boat 36ft or so decides to head out for the crossing. Three or four hours later I call him on the VHF and ask for the conditions of the gulf stream. He replies that they couldn't be better. We quickly picked up anchor and start heading home. Now it is later afternoon which is fine since we would make landfall early morning with plenty of city lights to guide us in. First four hours gave us great sailing and then everything changed. Winds picked up to a steady 25 knots with gusts higher rotating little by little until its now on our nose. Seas are now 6 to 8ft. Making my way to the foredeck to dose the jib we come off a crest and fall off what seems like a two story building. Water covers the foredeck and I am holding on for dear life literally stopping myself from going in by the lifelines. My girlfriend calls out to me for sure thinking I was swept away. I start the good ole A4 to help us with forward progress and fall off the wind just enough to keep the reefed main full. I spent the better part of a very wet night at the tiller. Around 4 am I am expecting to start seeing lights off of the coast of Ft. Lauderdale but see nothing. Dawn finally breaks and as if by a switch the seas drop and wind drops to nothing. Still no sight of land and the ocean is glass smooth. Finally around noon we spot the coast but not looking familar. We made landfall around Stewart, Fla. Spent the night on the hook and headed south for another full day sail beforing finally getting home. I learned alot that night and gained alot more respect for how quickly conditions can change.
Old 02-21-2012

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Anytime I am in a lightening storm.

Actually absolute scariest...
On our previous boat of 25' and about 8,000lbs of displacement.
Motoring upstream in the very congested Calumet River on Chicago's South Side. We were following a small Great Lakes Freighter of approximately 800'.
He docks, we wait behind him to finish docking.
When I think it is clear to proceed, I continue upstream.
Approaching from the other side is an empty barge traveling very fast 10-12, I have no idea how fast exactly, but he was hauling.
My wife points out the upcoming barge, no problem, we can fit between them, so I continue downstream.
What I had failed to notice was the prop wash still left in the channel from the docking freighter, he actually was still using his thrusters to keep him pined up against the dock.
When I hit the wash from his thrusters it pushed me almost under the upbound barge.
All the horses the little Yanmar could muster and some quick over and back on the tiller and I was just barely able to miss both of them.
As we past the barge the bow man had something to say to me. (we were litteraly with in speaking distance)
Afer we passed my wife asked what he had said,
"Oh nothing important honey, Something about being a Crazy Bastard."
smackdaddy and BentSailor like this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 02-21-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Anytime I am in a lightening storm.

Actually absolute scariest...
On our previous boat of 25' and about 8,000lbs of displacement.
Motoring upstream in the very congested Calumet River on Chicago's South Side. We were following a small Great Lakes Freighter of approximately 800'.
He docks, we wait behind him to finish docking.
When I think it is clear to proceed, I continue upstream.
Approaching from the other side is an empty barge traveling very fast 10-12, I have no idea how fast exactly, but he was hauling.
My wife points out the upcoming barge, no problem, we can fit between them, so I continue downstream.
What I had failed to notice was the prop wash still left in the channel from the docking freighter, he actually was still using his thrusters to keep him pined up against the dock.
When I hit the wash from his thrusters it pushed me almost under the upbound barge.
All the horses the little Yanmar could muster and some quick over and back on the tiller and I was just barely able to miss both of them.
As we past the barge the bow man had something to say to me. (we were litteraly with in speaking distance)
Afer we passed my wife asked what he had said,
"Oh nothing important honey, Something about being a Crazy Bastard."
Tim - I remember a video you posted a while back showing some pretty nasty rain and wind - and lightning. Good stuff.

Old 02-21-2012

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Tim - I remember a video you posted a while back showing some pretty nasty rain and wind - and lightning. Good stuff.
Ya, it's on here somewhere.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 02-21-2012
Old Salt

SSTurnbuckle is on a distinguished road
Talking What? No rudder

Half way from Seattle to Honolulu the boat broached. Looked over the side to find no rudder beneath the boat. Why this occurred and how it was resolved is a long story but all's well that ends well.
Old 02-21-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGOSALT View Post
Scariest moment...
was'nt when cockpit filled with ...

It was when I realized I was in charge!
I think this is a very true statement. We did a guys trip a few years ago with me and 3 friends, only one of which had any sailing experince. The last day winds were blowing 20+ in the morning but were supposed to subside as the day wore on. We were a long motor upriver at Onancock and got a leisurely start back home, thinking things would settle some in the hour or so it took to get to the bay.

It seemed the forecasters were correct, as the winds were around 15K out of the NW as we entered the bay, so off we went, crossing the widest part of the Chesapeake. However, the winds hadn't consulted the forecasts and were blowing 30 knots by the time we were mid bay, out of sight of land and not a single other boat in sight.

That's when it hit me that I was responsible for these guys safety, and help would be a long way off if we needed it.

That was a scary realization but an important one.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 02-21-2012
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTurnbuckle View Post
Half way from Seattle to Honolulu the boat broached. Looked over the side to find no rudder beneath the boat. Why this occurred and how it was resolved is a long story but all's well that ends well.
Dude - you HAVE to tell this story! C'mon!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.