Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012

Slayer is on a distinguished road
Bermuda Info

I am helping someone with a delivery out of Bermuda at the end of May. My fiance and I are planning to go a few days early for a little vacation, afterwhich she will fly home and I'll get on the boat.

The boat will be sailing out of Hamilton, and I think he said the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club. Wonder if someone can help me with some questions.

What is the best transportation on the island?

What are some decent places to stay in Hamilton? I am looking for quiet and clean place rather than palatial with room service. Walking distance to the water would be nice too.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2012

Rockter will become famous soon enough
In 1992 we were there, on the long way home to the UK.
The island is tiny, only about 15 miles long.
We hired little 50cc mopeds and drove around on those.
They were not expensive.
We stayed on board at St. Georges.
No-where is really far from the water.
Old 02-20-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Mopeds are fun, but the traffic is getting pretty bad in Bermuda (a gorgeous spot) so you have to be very careful on one (plus it is driving on the left with very narrow roads). There is a terrific bus and ferry system that will get you anywhere on the island. You can see more on the bus or ferry because you are not focussing on your driving, which you have to do.

What is your budget like? Bermuda is very expensive. I can make some suggestions once I know the budget. You will likely find even the cheapest places are clean and nice. You can walk to the water from just about anywhere, although there are often not sidewalks so you have to be careful walking.

I could be wrong, but I think ultimately the boat will leave from St Georges since that is where the channel is and where you have to clear customs. I like that end of the island since it is a bit quieter and a bit cheaper. Takes about an hour by bus or moped to get to the other end of the island - not that far but you are not going very quickly.
Old 02-20-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
The only place I've stayed on land is Elbow Beach. Very nice, on the water, but it is a room service place.

Mopeds are the way to go, but be very careful. If you're from the US, getting used to driving them on the other side of the road is tricky, especially when you go through an intersection, or worse, a roundabout. I swear the locals get reductions in their taxes for taking you out too. Seriously, people do get killed on them. Nevertheless, it would be hard to pass up the experience and convenience.

Have fun. Now let's talk about the delivery! Which way are you going?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-20-2012

This is an unplanned vacation, so I want to keep expenses down where I can. I would rather pay for a modest room (or relatively so) and spend the money on a nice night out. But my fiance and I can have fun just exploring the island and drinking beer on the beach. And while we may clear out of St. Georges, I get on the boat in Hamilton at the Royal Marina Yacht club.

Our ultimate destination is Deltaville, Virginia. The boat is a Beneteau 42 Center Cockpit .
Old 02-20-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
I think every sailor who visits Bermuda should call the RCC and ask for a tour. You can walk up the hill from St Georges.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-20-2012

paulk is on a distinguished road
Taxis are REALLY expensive. Buses are a lot cheaper and go pretty much all over, though you do need to know the schedule to make sure you don't have to get a taxi back. In Hamilton harbor the ferries are also a great way to bop around.
Old 02-20-2012
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
Hank Schmitt always says God put Bermuda there so sailors could stop there.

Last edited by brokesailor; 02-20-2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Mispelling
Old 02-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
Hank Schmitt always says God put Bermuda there so sailors could stop there.
I've sailed with hank before.
Old 02-21-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
If you want to find reasonable accomodation ($100 to $150 a night) check out the internet and look for guest houses rather than hotels. The cheapest real hotel was about $300 a night four years ago but the guest houses are much more reasonable. You can stay pretty much anywhere and take the bus to Hamiliton for departure - all of the buses on the island go to a central terminal in downtown Hamiliton and it is at most 40 minutes to the terminal. It really is great spot to visit. Try to find time to visit the Dockyards at the extreme west end of the island. Not sure what your skippers idea is, but would make sense to leave Hamilton one morning, anchor at St Georges or stay at the dinghy club docks and then check out of customs the next morning. You could do everything in one day but it would be a bit of a rush. Makes more sense to leave well-rested in the AM - just don't spend too much time in the White Horse the night before you leave.