the inevitable slow death of sailing journalism - does it matter - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulfromNWOnt View Post
Instead of running some scary little ****** on the web/magazine page, try running with a jpg based ad. Sure it won't be tailored to the viewer based on his history and cookie settings, but it WILL be there.
Nothing is for free, and there's lots of money being made. It's just not going to those who actually create the content that readers want to read (be it in print or online).

BTW, SailNet is ripe with these invisible ad scripts. I run a blocker and it is currently halting seven background snoopers. Everything from Google Adsense to AdNexus, eXelate and Comscore Beacon.

... nothing is free, not even SailNet
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2012

dylanwinter1 is on a distinguished road
snoopers, focussed ads and privacy

in some ways the snoopers are good

I only see adverts about sailing

unless my wife has been using the computer in which case I get to see adverts for material and skiing

do I worry about privacy

a bit

but more worries about financial security when I use my credit card in a shop or restaurant

D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-21-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Print media is certainly changing but I don't think it will disappear. Those "reader" pads are just not the same as holding a nicely bound book in a comfortable chair in the evening.

I for one, won't miss the majority of sailing mags - I only buy Sailing, GOB and WoodenBoat now. Sail and Yachting used to be the powerhouses but they are just cr@p now and have long been so. Will anyone here mourn the loss of SuperYacht?

Digital "print" is a huge improvement for accessing reference or technical info. When I think back to the manual updates I had to do for my mainframe computer room. I must have spent weeks of my life on that routine drudgery - now it's automatic on the database. I doubt anyone here would trade YachtWorld for the back pages of Yachting magazine when searching for a boat.

It's not the same for entertainment reading. If nothing else, digital is hard on the eyes after an extended time of concentrated reading.

Lastly, digital files can't become old friends and racks of disks just don't create a warm, inviting, peaceful library, at home or elsewhere.

FWIW, I worked in IT most of my career and from back in the 70's we all talked about "the end of paper" - it was going the way of papyrus. We all worked on it and worked on it for decades, but when I got out we had the biggest and fastest printers producing the most paper they ever had in my working life. We had moved from boxed paper input to roll input - like a newspaper printing press.

The reports of the demise of paper have been greatly exaggerated IMHO.
Faster and BentSailor like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 02-22-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-21-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I think you'll find that the "notion" of free content began with Television. Now, you didn't have to buy a newspaper or magazine subscription to keep up with events, you could get it "free" on TV. Once the competition for ad revenue began, content became, in many ways, secondary. Ad revenue goes where the eyes are.

It's also a generational shift. Just as newspapers and magazines have declined with the passing of the WWII generation, now we are seeing the Internet generation replacing the aging Boomer (TV) generation.

It's not that we are losing quality input (intellectual property), but that it has become increasingly harder to protect it.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 02-21-2012

dylanwinter1 is on a distinguished road
impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
I think you'll find that the "notion" of free content began with Television. Now, you didn't have to buy a newspaper or magazine subscription to keep up with events, you could get it "free" on TV. Once the competition for ad revenue began, content became, in many ways, secondary. Ad revenue goes where the eyes are.

It's also a generational shift. Just as newspapers and magazines have declined with the passing of the WWII generation, now we are seeing the Internet generation replacing the aging Boomer (TV) generation.

It's not that we are losing quality input (intellectual property), but that it has become increasingly harder to prot
ect it.
I agree - the shift has happened away from scheduled TV

content is now not just hard to protect

it is impossible to protect

mind you

it is good for live music

musicians now make their living on the road

no idea what the the model is for earning money from video and film

other than in-stream adverts

D

Last edited by dylanwinter1; 02-21-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-21-2012

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Could be, although the TV model isn't really that different from print. It's all about getting eyeballs to ads. There are tons of "free" print publications out there, including many smaller, regional sailing pubs. Subscription rates have never generated much revenue for publications (5% to 20% at the most). It's always about delivering an audience to the advertiser.

The thing that publishers forgot though, is that most people don't buy a magazine, or watch a TV show, for the ads. They want good quality content. By selling out to the advertisers, by cutting back on content production (freelance rates & staff cuts), they have cut their own throats.

Quote:
It's not that we are losing quality input (intellectual property), but that it has become increasingly harder to protect it.
I would argue we are losing -- have lost -- quality input. Good writing, good research, good analysis takes time. It's true that there are some good researchers/writers who can pay their rent paid through other means, and can therefore afford to give their work away, but this is the exception, not the rule.

Actually, cruising is the perfect analogy. Sure, anyone can jump in a sailboat and make it go, but there is a huge difference in skill and quality between a novice sailor and a cruiser who's been out there for years.

The vast majority of material out there, be it in blogs, on YouTube, or indeed in forums like this, is plain and simple crap. A small amount is utterly amazing, Pulitzer prize winning stuff, but most of it is garbage. The real problem is that the place that we once turned to for quality material; the magazines & newspapers, have decided to give us crap as well.
Old 02-21-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Great discussion. I have no nostalgic urge to see print media remain as it was in the twentieth century. The digital world has changed that forever and probably for the good in the long run. We are in a transition stage and have not yet figured out how to retain the quality of writing and research that delineate good journalism from the often fact-less world of blogging.

As a retired English teacher, I see the far greater problem to be the dumbing-down of writing and reading skills across almost all sectors of society. I believe many people don't buy print media because they cannot understand what is written. They cannot follow the structure of more than one paragraph. "Johnny" still can't read in sixth grade. Now he can't read when he gets to college. I know that's probably hard for the writers on this board to accept but I've seen it first hand.

Being able to understand complex writing is directly correlated to thinking ability. It enables critical thinking which is essential for a democratic nation. I don't know if digital media is speeding up the race to the bottom. I suspect not. There are deeper cultural problems at work.
jimmalkin and FishSticks like this.
Old 02-21-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Way back in dim dark days Yachting Monthly was my favourite print mag. I havn't read an issue in some time but over the years the likes of Des Sleightholme, Mike Payton, Tom Cunliffe made it a joy to read. I really used to hang out for my monthly fix. Two good writers and one fine artist. What is more YM covered both racing and cruising more than adequately, their reviews were top notch and in general the quality of the writing was A1.

Today, I find sailing magazines to be so full of advertorial BS as to make them utterly worthless, useful as as tits on a bull. I confess I do still subscribe to Practical Boat Owner and Good Old Boat but ultimately will go digital as I will with most of my sailing reference books. The reason being quite simple. We intend to be permanently ensconced on our girl by the end of this year and the library simply ain't gonna fit. For mine, I can keep far more words, music and images on one tablet than I could possibly hope to load onto a 40' boat. Oh and please don't give me the age old "wouldn't you rather hold a real book in your hands" ? Of course I bloody well would, just like I'd like to listen to live music but needs must necessitate.

As for the quality of the writing, well bland is as good a word as any though I suppose it is pretty hard to inject a bit of wit into a rewrite of a PR handout.

In this day and age with DS dead and buried and TC presumably retired there is little to look forward to. Pissing in his pocket yet again, I do look forward to Bob Perry's articles in GOB and of course I like to keep up with the wit and wisdom of one Dylan Winter but reality is no one is going to make a respectable living out of writing about cruising under sail and the likelihood of that happening grows less each year. Sad but I fear true.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 02-21-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
I'm not saying we're there yet, only what I see coming. The financial model will work itself out, somehow. It's inevitable.

It's like 20 years ago....when the Internet was usenet, telnet, ftp, archie, gopher, and BBS's....if you wanted web content, you got a beta of Netscape and looked at a few pages at CERN.

Look where we are today. Interactive digital media is in this early stage.

In time....maybe 10 years, maybe sooner, this interactive digital media I'm talking about will mature. The financial model is only one hurdle we have. Consider also bandwidth and delivery of these massive file sizes. It too will have to develop, and it will.

Just 13 years ago I managed an Auspex farm with 4 fridge size units, filled with hard drives, to achieve 2 TB online. I now have more than that on my iMac! I can put 3 TB in one hand.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 02-21-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
I'm really excited for students....the days of old, boring, flat textbooks is going away. I remember struggling with Algebra in school, trying to comprehend what I was reading, only to have to wait until the instructor's lecture.....

Soon, students will be able to read the section, watch the video lecture, go online for more info, manipulate expressions and formulas, have the digital textbook check your work, show you what you did wrong, and take you to the section and video lecture for review.

The possibilities are endless.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas