the inevitable slow death of sailing journalism - does it matter - Page 7 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by svzephyr44 View Post
After all, most of the stuff on the spinning stuff is brown. I bet you worked with POTS too!
I had that thought while I was responding but.......

You'll have to refresh me re: POTS - I seldom have trouble figuring out acronyms but that one has me stumped.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2012
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
You'll have to refresh me re: POTS - I seldom have trouble figuring out acronyms but that one has me stumped.
Plain Old Telephone Service .. Do you tip and ring?
Old 02-28-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
One advantage of magazines over iPads, tablets, e-readers, etc. When reading in a stall in a public washroom, one can roll the magazine and jam it into the TP holder whilst one refastens one's chinos.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-28-2012

cupper3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
POTS still used by techs today; my son now takes care of the regional backbone (I can complain directly now ) and if all else fails, POTS doesn't. Sort of that analog/digital thing. Some of the POTS switching equipment was installed in the 1960's and teleco sees no reason to upgrade.... it just plain works.

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Old 02-28-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Hell, I go back to PARTY LINES and dedicated switchboard operators in offices (can I have an outside line please?). I was an adult when push button phones arrived - they were about as cool then as an I-Phone is now.

I think we need a GEEZER smilie.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-28-2012

cupper3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Hell, I go back to PARTY LINES and dedicated switchboard operators in offices (can I have an outside line please?). I was an adult when push button phones arrived - they were about as cool then as an I-Phone is now.

I think we need a GEEZER smilie.
LOL... that IS scary because our first phone was on a party line too. In fact, some farmers at the time still had the old crank style.

Sheeeeet, and now my kids are approaching middle age.

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Old 03-07-2012

beej67 is on a distinguished road
Re: the inevitable slow death of sailing journalism - does it matter

Wow Dylan, thanks for the comprehensive look at how you're trying to tie ends together. That's some fantastic first hand info. Sounds to me like you got screwed on the whole "click fraud" deal.
Old 03-08-2012

dylanwinter1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by beej67 View Post
Wow Dylan, thanks for the comprehensive look at how you're trying to tie ends together. That's some fantastic first hand info. Sounds to me like you got screwed on the whole "click fraud" deal.
I screwed up by not reading or understanding their rules - the first contract is around 10,000 words with around 30,000 of subclauses linked from hot links in the contract. I should never have put the adsense block on the sailing website that way the income would still be flowing from youtube.

However, it will make a great chapter for the book

I am a bit pished that Google is still making money from my work by placing adverts against it - but I guess hosting those 28 million hits is not without costs for them. I have two other youtube spaces and they are one to two million hit youtube spaces. Every now and again I get a computer generated email asking me to sign up for adsense - but I have a permanently blocked identity.

I often wonder how many people there are like me who would still be making content for them if they had not been cast out by the weirdnesses of the google computers - however google is about managing poeple by computer algorythm and let us face it - who is running the successful operation

- me or them

their motto is

"don't be evil"

my suggestion is.....be careful with all your dealings with google - the chances are that if you have ticked any of those Gmail/youtube/facebook/google earth contract boxes they already own your house/boat/dog/wife

Old 03-08-2012

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanwinter1 View Post
I am a bit pished that Google is still making money from my work by placing adverts against it - but I guess hosting those 28 million hits is not without costs for them. I have two other youtube spaces and they are one to two million hit youtube spaces. Every now and again I get a computer generated email asking me to sign up for adsense - but I have a permanently blocked identity.
I think this is a key point. They are still making lots of bucks from your work -- from our works. In the past they were print publishers or broadcast owners. Now it's online tech companies, but it is still the same game.

However, what has changed is that they no longer pay much or anything for the raw material -- the "content" as it is now called. They've figured out a way to get all of us to give them our material, our information, our identities, for practically nothing. Meanwhile they are making gobs of money using our material, trickling down a few shekels to us, the new serfs of the information age.

The sad thing is, we've all happily rushed in to give them our work, our money, our identities and our lives; all for the promise of a few pennies, and "free" access to all this stuff.

Remember the old saying: "There's no such thing as free lunch"? We are pay, one way or another.
Old 03-08-2012

beej67 is on a distinguished road

Google does need a "Whoops, we were evil" hotline.