SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   what's the process to test sail a boat? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/84171-whats-process-test-sail-boat.html)

NewportNewbie 02-21-2012 07:07 PM

what's the process to test sail a boat?

Looking to get taken on a new boat. Dealer wants deposit and offer before that happens. Is that normal? This came up after a few days of emails and my initial email was about a test sail. He then responded he didn't read the email carefully. Understandable. But what if I wanna make a decision based on how it sails?

chuck53 02-21-2012 07:12 PM

Yes, a deposit is typical. It shows you are a serious buyer and not just looking for a free boat ride. Same goes when looking at used boats. Most sellers/brokers want a contract in hand with a deposit before allowing for a sea trial.

fallard 02-21-2012 07:14 PM

If the boat is on the hard and the dealer needs to launch it, it may be reasonable to ask for the costs to launch the boat, but there is more to it than that. It may be reasonable for you to indicate serious interest by providing a deposit and offer?

The way we did it years ago was to take a good look at the boat and make an offer and deposit. We conditioned the sail on a successful survey and sea trial.

In the end we had the owner fix some really minor things, like the GPS, but went through with the purchase.

In any case you don't want to buy a boat without a proper survey and sea trial. To get that you may have to be serious enough to make an offer and deposit.

bljones 02-21-2012 07:23 PM

Wait a minute- what the hell has happened to cuajota?

deniseO30 02-21-2012 07:32 PM

someone has a case of "five foot itis?"

Faster 02-21-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deniseO30 (Post 834945)
someone has a case of "five foot itis?"

... and "$$HundredK-itis" ...:eek:

WDS123 02-21-2012 09:35 PM

Which dealer ?

MedSailor 02-21-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewportNewbie (Post 834930)
Looking to get taken on a new boat.

Man, if that's your attitude towards bargaining then you WILL get taken!:)

MedSailor

MikeOReilly 02-21-2012 10:38 PM

It is standard to make an offer, and provide a 10% deposit, before taking a boat for a test sail. Normally the offer would be contingent on a satisfactory sail.

NewportNewbie 02-21-2012 10:57 PM

Lol. NOTHING is wrong with Cuajota. Lol. I just REALLY like the look of the new Beneteau First 30 and my wife said she would sail with me more if it was better than the S30 in choppy conditions. My question is how will I like it sailing? The REAL question is will the wife like its sailing characteristics better than the S30. In my opinion the ONLY way to know us to go on a sail. Not a full fledged sea trial just a sail for maybe an hour. I am not looking to make the deal write a check to discover if I like it. To me there is a negotiation AFTER I decide if I like it. Not before. I was scared because I really thought my wife would have written a deposit check on the spot if she liked it. I know some people who bought one. I'll try an get a ride on one to see if I like it. Until then happy with Cuajota!