Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By MedSailor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Technology can aid safety....

Normally I'm old school when it comes to safety. I DO believe that balance, and non-skid on deck are better than a man overboard alarm for example.

Sometimes though, the continuous innovation, constantly decreasing costs and miniaturization that have come with the information age make for some really nice products that can add to our safety. Take, for example, how small and cheap PLBs are now.....

I found this on the net today. It's a VHF radio (wiith DSC) and a GPS in a compact, waterproof unit. Oh, and it's got a strobe. Since it's designed for divers they're SERIOUS about their waterproofness. It's rated to a depth of 425ft.

This would be a nifty item to have clipped to one's lifejacket if you went overboard.

Imagine if you are a cruising couple, being able to direct the boat back to you when waves or darkness would make it hard to spot you, never mind that with only one left on board they'd be looking for you from the cockpit. "I'm at your 2'oclock. Ok now I'm right in front of you."

Or imagine the worst, you're a single hander and go overboard. Call the coasties and give them your GPS position. Or just use the DSC button.

MedSailor

Nautilus Lifeline VHF - GPS Radio for Divers

Video here (sorry don't know how to embed a video in a post)
Nautilus Lifeline: A Scuba Diver
chef2sail and chrisncate like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MedSailor; 02-21-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Looks great, but I couldn't find out how much it costs.

Gary
Old 02-21-2012
Closet Powerboater

Ah, forgot to mention that. $300. Nautilus Lifeline GPS Safety Device for Divers Same as a PLB or top of the line VHF. Serves a slightly different purpose than a PLB I would think.

For me, as long as I was within 15miles of shore or so, I'd rather have this than a PLB as the coast guard can hear you for quite a distance with their tall antennas. Also, if you go overboard, with the boat still crewed and nearby, the PLB won't help much. Being able to direct the boat back to you with GPS and VHF would be helpful.

Much longer tabletop review here:Nautilus Lifeline Showcase - YouTube

Apparently with the lid openit's IPX-67 rated waterproofness. I've never even heard of that, but it sounds waterproof. Lid closed is rated to a depth of 435ft. What would that be? IPX-425?
MedSailor

Last edited by MedSailor; 02-21-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-21-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road
How is this different than a Standard Horizon HX851?

VHF with DSC and there is a strobe light (albeit not as good as this one looks). It floats and is waterproof.

I guess the diver one is useful because its probably not buoyant and wont float if you dive...

I guess if you go overboard, a PLB would be more useful...but in all honesty, if they're at the point of doing a search based on your gps signal to SAR, its more than likely a body recovery operation rather than a rescue.
Old 02-21-2012
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
How is this different than a Standard Horizon HX851?

VHF with DSC and there is a strobe light (albeit not as good as this one looks). It floats and is waterproof.

I guess the diver one is useful because its probably not buoyant and wont float if you dive...

I guess if you go overboard, a PLB would be more useful...but in all honesty, if they're at the point of doing a search based on your gps signal to SAR, its more than likely a body recovery operation rather than a rescue.
I've looked at that radio several times. That IS the closest equivalent. The big difference I can see is that this unit as a GPS built in and the Standard Horizon doesn't have a GPS but does have things like weather radio and more of your regular VHF features.

From a pure safety device point of view I think the addition of the GPS is a big plus. How nice to tell the coast guard, or a nearby vessel, exactly where you are. It would make a great compliment to the boat's main radio, especially for a single-hander.

MedSailor

Old 02-21-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
The SH 851 does have built-in GPS, speccy

And IP67 is dust-proof and waterproof up to 1m depth (IPX7 is just waterproof, although this probably means they didn't bother rating it for dust ingress)

Last edited by PaulinVictoria; 02-21-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-21-2012
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
The SH 851 does have built-in GPS, speccy

And IP67 is dust-proof and waterproof up to 1m depth (IPX7 is just waterproof, although this probably means they didn't bother rating it for dust ingress)
Thanks for the correction. That wasn't the radio I specked a year ago at all! (God bless technology) The Standard Horizon unit is probably better all around for the man-overboard purpose I mentioned and it's also a regular radio. Looks nice.

I guess the only advantage of the unit I found is that it's perhaps more durable and "more" waterproof , it looks quite a bit smaller and has 24hrs of battery instead of 10. Might be nice kit to have packed into your liferaft except for the fact that you'd need a usb/alkaline charging adapter or some other way to power it besides the Li battery....

MedSailor

Last edited by MedSailor; 02-21-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-21-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Yep, I agree, and 1m waterproof isn't much good if you take a tumble, you're likely going deeper than that before your PFD buoyancy kicks in to get you floated again.

Old 02-22-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
I like this and might just buy one for the panic bag.

I guess I should also think about carrying it when sailing, hmm and in the dink.