Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Couple of things ....

PB .... take that lump of iron out of your boat and my guess is you'll have a zippier sailor.

dabnis .... I fail to see why the simple lack of an engine should in itself endanger others.
chrisncate likes this.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
I just like the word "donk." Without a donk onboard one does not have the opportunity to sound all weathered and crusty and Chopper-esque, uttering phrases like "best fire up the donk, yeah?", "Hey, we need another gerry of petrol for the donk, yeah?" and my favourite, "hear the clunk in the donk ya wonk? More like a clonk than a clunk, run along, ding-dong!"
Great, now I've got a bad 50s white-boy doo-*** song stuck in my head.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-22-2012

rbrasi is on a distinguished road
I believe the whole engine-less thing is emphasized for the green charities he is supporting and raising awareness for. The last Cal 2-30 he had did not sink. They made him scuttle it. So this time he goes with zero through hulls. Also, he is using solar for the very few power needs.
He does have time, because this is what he does.
Old 02-22-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
The time issue is interesting. Deep down inside I know that Linda is correct. What's the rush ? We choose to go out in a form of transport that for the a lot of the time doesn't goes faster than a brisk walk yet we fret if we take too long to go from one place t'other.

That said, the number of cruising sailors I have met who state quite frankly that anything under 5,6,7 knots and they motor has surprised me.
I think it's the "We'll be there Tuesday" syndrome. Most people these days plug their departure point and their destination into the chart plotter, get it to tell them how long the voyage will take at 80%, or so, of hull speed, turn around and tell everyone when they'll be at their destination, and then take it as some sort of personal point of failure if they can't get there by their ETA. This forces them to motor whenever their speed drops very far below hull speed, less they show up a few days late, tails between their legs, heads bowed, suffering from the abject shame of taking to long to make a passage.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 02-22-2012
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Chris!! What took ya' so long?? I've been wondering when you would chime in.
I didn't want to rankle or be self righteous...

Plus, I want to see how it goes for someone else starting a motorless thread for a change...
Old 02-22-2012
prwg, NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
I just like the word "donk." Without a donk onboard one does not have the opportunity to sound all weathered and crusty and Chopper-esque, uttering phrases like "best fire up the donk, yeah?", "Hey, we need another gerry of petrol for the donk, yeah?" and my favourite, "hear the clunk in the donk ya wonk? More like a clonk than a clunk, run along, ding-dong!"
Great, now I've got a bad 50s white-boy doo-*** song stuck in my head.
An American Donk..

Sorry, you mentioned a donk and a car..

Anyway, should the motorless sailor view the opinions of the motored as self righteous? Seems kind of one way

I believe the motored folks out shout the non motored by leaps and bounds over their beliefs and ideology..

Last edited by chrisncate; 02-22-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-22-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
An American Donk..
That's not really a car. It's just a fancy a carport for a Mazda Miata.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 02-22-2012

fallard is on a distinguished road
Didn't the Hays duo sail a Marshall 22 in the open Atlantic from the Bahamas to New London? They survived that one, too. The gods must be smiling on them. Had they been pooped with that large cockpit, it would have been all over. (Yes, I am aware of the air mattress trick.)

Sailing coastal craft in the open ocean and sailing engineless in general doesn't make for a good example IMHO. These guys were doing the equivalent of playing russian roulette. Their survival was a matter of luck--not design. To get the full picture, you need the stories of the folks who took chances and didn't make it---but they don't write books, do they?
Old 02-22-2012
prwg, NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
That's not really a car. It's just a fancy a carport for a Mazda Miata.
Well, it's my gammys car anyway..

Re: the topic - I really think the motorless debate gets taken way too far. Russian Roulette? For gods sakes, that's a bit dramatic imo..

What about the flip side? For every unknown mortorless sailor who winds up on the rocks, how many motored sailors wind up in the same place due to blind faith in their motor always working? I'm talking about the sailors who you see motoring in in a stiff breeze (or worse) with the sails all nicely furled and the main covered up, within spitting distance of stationary objects.

It's not the motor (or lack thereof), and it's not even the boat really - it's the sailor and his seamanship.
nolatom likes this.
Old 02-22-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Frankly, if i was to go motorless, a transpac would be my choice over cruising the east coast, just as I'd rather have a 7' draft on the west coast than on the east coast.

Slightly oversimplified, but if you're sailing out of lower cali, just make sure you miss Catalina and make sure you hit Hawaii, then fill your water jugs, empty your holding tank and continue.

Working your way down the thorny path in hurricane season with no aux power? now you've got my attention.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.