Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
A better way to run the mainsheet....

I'm looking at re-running a lot of my running rigging this spring. Currently my mainsheet runs up and down from the traveler car to the boom and then directly aft to a jam cleat on the cabin top. The problem is that the traveller can't be adjusted easily without changing the length of mainsheet, making the traveller nearly useless.

I know that running the sheet forward to the mast, and then back, is the most common way as in this drawing:

I could do this, but I have a 19ft main boom. That would be a lot of running of line and used up deck space. Is there a way to run it from a traveler to a cabintop winch aft of the traveler and still have the traveler be adjustable under load (windward sheeting)?

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2012

overbored is on a distinguished road
From the harken catalog page #6. the diagram in the lower right hand corner. 3 to 1. The traveler can be windward sheeted. the deck block can be either fore or aft of the traveler track
Or 2 to1 with deticated winches right hand center of page block on the boom allows the traveler to still work. Harken Hardware Catalog

Last edited by overbored; 02-22-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-25-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
From the harken catalog page #6. the diagram in the lower right hand corner. 3 to 1. The traveler can be windward sheeted. the deck block can be either fore or aft of the traveler track
Or 2 to1 with deticated winches right hand center of page block on the boom allows the traveler to still work. Harken Hardware Catalog
I've seen systems like that, but it seems to me that the load would be equally shared by the traveler and the one central block that leads to the winch. Seems like you'd have to have immense backing plates on that one block.

The bigger problem seems to be that when the traveler is all the way out, you'd still have part of the mainsheet running to a centerline block, thus 1/2 of the mainsheet pull would be from the traveler (ie straight down and outboard) and 1/2 the pull would be toward the centerline of the boat.

Do I have this right or wrong? Does the traveler exert more influence because it has more lines going from it to the boom than the one line to the centerline turning block?

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 02-25-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
A center mounted turning block on the mainsheet will "modify" the effect of the traveller position to a degree but the advantage of having the mainsheet lead always coming from the same place is considerable.. always within reach (if optimally placed) regardless of traveler position, no awkward angles or reach when you're at one extreme or the other on the traveler itself. The cleating angle is also going to be more consistent, making releasing and re cleating easier as well (though I see you're leading to a winch in any event)

Regardless of how you run all that, setting up an easily adjustable traveller is simply a matter of hardware and purchase. Will your traveler be behind the helm? A picture of your cockpit setup would help. Low friction blocks, as small a line as you can handle, and careful arrangement of the leading of the traveler control lines is almost always able to improve access and adjust-ability.

It is possible that your existing traveler track is a major obstacle here.. esp if it's an older style bearing-less T track...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-25-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Second thoughts:

Took a look at the graphic on one of your other threads.. I see the traveler is on the coachhouse roof.. and the companionway is offset.

This may work but it has the disadvantage of every traveler position change absolutely requiring a corresponding mainsheet adjustment... but you're not racing, right?

Mainsheet in red, running through a centerline spring block, through a padeye or clutch to the winch, traveler lines in blue.. the traveler lines could also be rerouted to nearer the winch, I suppose for easier access assuming you have clear space for running these lines across the coachroof.

FWIW (which may be very little....)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 02-25-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-25-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Not sure if this would work for you, but it has worked nicely on my boat which has a very big main (~450 sq ft). When I got the boat. the sheet terminated on the traveller and was adjusted by a winch on the cabin top which wasn't much good if you were at the wheel and no one esle was in the cockpit. What I did at the traveller end (just behind the cockpit) is to mount a really big triple Harken block with a ratchet on the middle sheave (don't remember the number) and a cam cleat to the traveller with 5:1 purchase on it. The plan was to use this end of the sheet most of the time and the winch at the other end when needed. It has turned out that we have not to had to use the winch at all. As the wind pipes up we reef and the load at the aft end remains just manageable. Our traveller is old and needs replacement (an old Nicro I think) but I can still pull the car upwind when needed (not easily but would be much easier with a modern traveller set-up.