Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Emergency Medical Insurance While Cruising.

There's an interesting article in the latest Alert Diver Magazine that talks about a Canadian cruising couple. The wife falls and hits her head very badly aboard their boat, which was sailing from Cartagena to Roatan. The couple sailed into Providencia, Colombia for medical assistance.
The injury turned out to be quite serious.
The couple, who are also divers, are covered by DAN (Divers Alert Network) - which is (or so I thought) insurance to cover diving-related injuries, evacuations etc. DAN covered the expenses for the medical treatment etc.
I have been covered by DAN for my diving for years. I had no idea that it might also cover me in other circumstances. I guess I should read the fine print on my policy!
Although I don't expect to require DAN coverage in my usual sailing area, it might cover evacuation and treatment in more remote areas.
It might be of interest for sailors cruising away from their usual coverage areas to look into this.
Granted Alert Diver is a magazine published by DAN, so there might be some marketing going on in the article. It appeared legitimate to me.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2012

dongreerps is on a distinguished road
DAN insurance is a fantastic value, and in my opinion everyone cruising should have DAN coverage. There are two reasons. First is their coverage for evacuation to back home in case of a serious problem. That's pretty obvious, and the reason most purchase coverage.
The other reason is subtle. DAN is run by and for divers. Not by business men. Most of the time a call for assistance will be answered by a fellow DAN member, who is also a physician, not an insurance clerk interested mostly in the insurance companies bottom line. Most DAN responders have extensive experience traveling to distant places. These guys are experienced physicians, most with old time clinical morals, and most have seen all sorts of unusual problems in unusual places.
They usually will know if there is a local physician skilled in your problem, and who he is. And if you are better treated by the guy with local skills, or are better off being brought home.
There is a true saying in medicine that if you hear hoof beats outside your window, you ought to think about horses, not zebras. If I get a report of a stampede in north Yellowstone, and a serious injury however, I am going to think about Bison, and call Jeff who sees two or three buffalo gorings a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.