Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012

Zzzeb is on a distinguished road
Rob, LOL, Thank you for your generous offer. I'm starting to get excited thinking about this. I've got to get my husband on this post as well. He's the experience navigator here.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
Thanks to the link to that current calculator, but the time is in 48 units not 24, for the same date. How does one read this?

Its real data from current bouys and you can advance it and hour at a time and observe were and when the current is strongest and just adjust your time and decide if you want to be on the north or south side of the sound or even the middle

Its a step above the Eldridge as it does change with wind dirrection and speed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-23-2012

Rob, LOL. Thanks, we may well take you up on this. I think I need to get my husband in on this discussion as he is the true navigator among us.
Old 02-26-2012

Member Less than a Week

I look forward to further discussion with Jim and others regarding the trip from Boston to NYC, however I haven't been a member of Sail Net for 7 days yet, so I can't send a direct e-mail. Thanks for the offer to talk.
Old 02-26-2012

BostonSailor is on a distinguished road
For first weekend: Boston through the CC Canal can be done in one day but you must time the current. There is a nice mooring field in Onset just beyond the Canal. Next day you can make Newport or Jamestown. I've done that hop a bunch and have taken a bus back to Boston.
Old 02-26-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Check out Amtrak and the LIRR schedules. On the North Shore of LI from Port Jefferson and Oyster Bay you can easily hop a train into Manhattan, less frequent service east of Port Jeff even into Northport, which is very sheltered too.

Once you are in the Sound, hopping down on either shore is easy, although marina prices won't be cheap.
Old 02-26-2012
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
I have done this passage a couple of times. I agree with the advice take a couple of extra days and do the entire trip in one pass. I am a full time live aboard and would never leave my boat at anchor for a week after just dropping the hook. In fact I usually don't go very far for at least 24 and preferably 48 hours after dropping the hook. Even so I have dragged more than once after a "secure" set. From a cost standpoint my guess is that if you add up all the mooring fees or marina fees, the cost of transportation to and from the boat, etc. you could hire a delivery captain for less then you are going to burn trying to move the boat over two weekends. Also, not only are the tides/currents important but so are the winds. Having made a favorable current passage through the Cape Cod Canal only to confront 15 knots on the bow and standing waves in the Bay I can tell you that your speed of advance, even under power can go all over the place - not to mention the discomfort.

An alternative would be to hire the delivery Captain to bring the boat part way - then finish the trip yourself - for example bring it down to the North Shore of Long Island past "The Race" and have it available to you on Friday night or Saturday morning to continue the trip for the weekend. Open for comment from full time Long Island Sound sailors but I would plan on tucking in on the North Shore rather than Connecticut - I think there are more protected harbors along the way.
FishSticks likes this.