Safety Gear - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 02-23-2012 Thread Starter

Safety Gear

So this will be our first full season on the great lakes (Erie) on our new to us Catalina 30. We will be doing mostly daysailing with an occasional overnight trip thrown in. I am just wondering what you all think is recommended safety gear on top of the required coast guard stuff.

So far we have Inflatable PFD's with harnesses, thru hull plugs, and a radar reflector. I have been thinking of getting a spare handheld VHF and GPS. What other stuff should we have for the type of sailing we are doing? I don't want overkill but I have seen what this lake can become in no time.

Thanks

Joe
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-23-2012

If you have pfd's with harnesses you should get the tethers and jackilnes as well. Mount U bolts with backing plates in the cockpit corners.

First aid kit
MOB pole
Maybe a life sling
Rigging knife for everyone
Waterproof flashlight
Hand bearing compass
Faster likes this.

ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)

Last edited by jackdale; 02-23-2012 at 03:40 PM.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-23-2012

ASA recommendations

The American Sailing Assn. has a good list of recommended safety items in addition to USCG required items.

ASA Recommended Safety Equipment

Two anchors with at least 200 of rode
Charts
VHF radio
Safety harnesses, jacklines, tethers
Compass
First aid kit
Manual bilge pump
Flashlights
Tool kit and spare parts
Soft wood plugs

Other ASA recommended items

Heaving line
Mirror
Searchlight/spotlight
Sunburn lotion
Sunglasses
binoculars
post #4 of 16 Old 02-23-2012
Dragon Mod

Dock
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetdrvr393 View Post
So this will be our first full season on the great lakes (Erie) on our new to us Catalina 30.
Congratulations! Don't forget to join the Catalina 30 owners association as well as the Yahoo email list.

You'll want to keep a sharp eye on the water temperature and make sure that you dress for the water temp as much as or even more so than for the air temp.

Also, be sure to leave a float plan with someone back home. I usually email mine to two people.

We learned early on to make sure we had the proper tools to fix anything that might happen with our (then) original engine. Tow insurance is a great investment.

We also carry a spotlight. It's good for illuminating your sail for visibility and also to shine in front of you to see debris before you hit it.

There's plenty of other safety gear you could carry. I don't know what your threshold for "overkill" is. I tend to think that anything that keeps me safe or highly visible isn't overkill.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
post #5 of 16 Old 02-23-2012
Broad Reachin'

You might consider putting together a "ditch bag" with duplicates of some of the items suggested here. While this may be overkill for coastal cruising and daysailing in the Great Lakes, it's offers simple peace of mind. We've carried a ditch bag from day one.

Catalina 34

post #6 of 16 Old 02-23-2012 Thread Starter

I guess I forgot a few things we already have.

Lifesling
Rigging knives
Flashlights
2 Anchors
First Aid Kit
Signal Mirror
Dye Marker
Several types of flares

My Stantion bases have the U's on them so I was going to use those for my jacklines and I do plan to get tethers.

My threshold for overkill is pretty high, I would much rather buy it and never need it than need it one day and wish I would have bought it.
I really wasn't thinking about a ditch bag though, we don't have a raft so if we ditch, were swimming.....
post #7 of 16 Old 02-23-2012
Just another Moderator

Quote:
......I really wasn't thinking about a ditch bag though, we don't have a raft so if we ditch, were swimming.....
Not strictly speaking safety equipment, but if you're coastal cruising the experience is greatly opened up by anchoring and avoiding marinas.. in which case you should have some sort of tender/dinghy.

Worst case you abandon ship to that, so the 'ditch bag' may be a thought anyhow.. and even swimming you might be able to call for help if there's a handheld VHF in there... It should also hold your ID, Passports, etc so you don't lose those, esp if you're crossing borders.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #8 of 16 Old 02-23-2012

Jacklines

I'd not use stanchons for the jacklines. On my boat, the cleats are postioned well for jackline use. If your cleats won't work, then install U-bolts (i.e. padeyes) as jackdale suggested.

Some other safety items I carry: handheld VHF stored in the microwave (in case of lightning strike), Lifesling, heaving line, and assorted hacksaws to cut away standing rig in the event of a rig failure. All of our PFDs have a whistle attached and are marked with reflective tape front and back. At night, each crew carries a chemlite (light stick).

On my wish list is a MOB pole/life buoy combination that will also trigger the MOB function on the chartplotter.

[/B]S/V Wind Orchid
Catalina 350 (hull# 273)
Annapolis, MD

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!

Last edited by johnnyquest37; 02-23-2012 at 02:53 PM. Reason: omission
post #9 of 16 Old 02-23-2012
Barquito

This might be obvious, but, the correct attitude toward safety may be just as important as all the stuff. For example, clipping in while alone on deck, teaching all onboard how to start the motor, practicing MOB, etc.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-23-2012

Quote:
My Stantion bases have the U's on them so I was going to use those for my jacklines and I do plan to get tethers.
Many (most?) stantion bases are neither trough-bolted (many are screwed on) nor have backing plates capable of holding 5,000 pounds (yes, the forces are that high, because of the tight-rope effect).

Bow cleats are generally fine, but the stern cleats are too far back (you can go off the back). Thus, Jackdales recomendation for in-cockpit u-bolts. Remember that the clip on the u-bolt end MUST be a locking biner; they come off easy.

(some calculations about fall energy)
Sail Delmarva: Sample Calculations for Jackline Stress and Energy Absorption

(when asked how he reached the starting holds on a difficult rock climbing problem that clearly favored taller climbers - he was perhaps 5'5")

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.