Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Let us know what boat you're on... sounds like relatively high freeboard, which is always a challenge, esp on an older boat without a stern platform of some sort.

So model and year would let us get a mental picture of what you're describing...
Looking at older posts CChelle was looking at a Pan Oceanic 43. Don't know if thats what they bought but the PO43 has some pretty serious freeboard.

I reckon those fender steps are the go or a boarding ladder with solid steps not a rope steup.
CChelle likes this.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Quote:
Most swim ladders have 1" round rungs, hard with shoes, painful if barefoot Denise O30

We attached teak steps to our ss ladder to make the footing safer. We also have a fenderstep and love it. You can attach that to the bottom rung of your transome ss ladder so your first step out of the dinghy is not so dramatic. That is the most import step anyway as you move from one fairly wobbly dinghy to one moving large mass of boat.

Dave
CChelle likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-23-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
That is a tall step... they may have to consider something like the 'side stairs' linked below.. These are a bit heavy duty (probably costly) but something might be fabbed up that would do a similar job and fold alongside the rails midships...

Side stairs by Hydromar

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-23-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I second the Fender Step (or two), I think this would solve your problem. If you can get one foot on deck without a step the FS will make it a snap (our dog even uses it). The only drawback I have found with the FS is that they can trap sand between the fender and the boat so you need to rinse it down often or hang a towel over the side to protect the hull. Hope your knee gets better.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 02-23-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Having tried a rope ladder on my Catalina 27 I can assure you that they are for very young, strong kids--not older adults, and especially one with a bum knee. FORGET THE ROPE LADDER!

Now, In my case, I have a folding SS ladder that has stand-offs that keep the ladder about 6 inches from the hull. It goes about 18 inches beneath the water and makes it fairly easy for this 71-year-old to climb aboard. (Yes, I'm an old fart.) My wife, on the other hand, could never handle the ladder because she is in horrible, physical condition, has some really bad knees that will soon be replaced, and even after the replacement I sincerely don't believe she could climb safely from the inflatable. I'm seriously thinking about making a modified ladder that has handrails, will attach firmly to the gunwale, and the steps will be similar to those I have going into my attic. I think this is also a solution for us older folks climbing aboard from a floating dock that is just six inches higher than the water, which can also present a problem when you confront a higher free-board boat. I think I can design it in such a way that everything would fold fairly flat and the stairs could be stored much in the manner of any other boarding ladder.

Just another project to think about,

Gary
Old 02-24-2012

CChelle is on a distinguished road
The Boat

Here's a picture of a boat that's similar: http://www.theyachtmarket.com/boatIm...9/11205692.jpg

And here's a picture I just put up on facebook of the boat: Sovereign Adventures | Facebook (since it's public, I don't think you have to have an account just to view it)

And to give you some scope, when pulled up to the side of the boat and I stand on the floor of the dinghy, the side rail is at the top of my head. Because I'm flexible, when I stand on my tip-toes, on the new tall seat (which is too tall so has to go back) I can get one leg up over the rail & then pull myself up.

Thanks for all the replies, you guys are great & have some great advice!
Old 02-24-2012
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road
Electric winch to host the dinghy, passengers and all, up to the deck level.
Old 02-24-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
would it be that hard to tell us what make boat it is? Although I think it's a Morgan?

my current "project"!
Old 02-24-2012

CChelle is on a distinguished road
It's a Mao Ta 43

Built by Pan Oceanic, and is a 1979.
Old 02-24-2012

SailingBag is on a distinguished road
I support the Fender Step brigade....I am a solo female and my boat was on a fore and aft mooring in a river with quite a strong tidal current...getting my gear from the dinghy to the boat was always fraught with problems...until I got a Fender Step. Problems, no more.

Tags
getting on a boat , gunwale ladder , ladder , transom ladder