Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2012

cupper3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
to prevent waterfowl from eating it.
Not an issue in eutrophic waterbodies.

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Not an issue in eutrophic waterbodies.
"Gooey" lakes or not, non-lead shot like steel or tungsten is mandated when hunting waterfowl. Maybe if the lakes are that bad the ducks wouldnt stay there? That being said I have seen them tipping up feeding in some really bad looking and smelling water.

Paul T
Old 03-01-2012

cupper3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
"Gooey" lakes or not, non-lead shot like steel or tungsten is mandated when hunting waterfowl. Maybe if the lakes are that bad the ducks wouldnt stay there? That being said I have seen them tipping up feeding in some really bad looking and smelling water.

Paul T
Agreed, lead host is not legal for waterfowl anymore.

The issue of lead shot ingestion is one primarily in non-eutrophic lakes, and specifically on hard bottomed, sandy ones. In eutrophic lakes, lead shot quickly sinks into the substrate, and continues to sink.

The blanket elimination of lead shot was made to ensure a consistent enforcement regime. I am aware of at least one jurisdiction whose biologists had no concerns with lead shot, due to virtually all water bodies in that jurisdiction being eutrophic.

Elimination of lead shot is a good thing, I am just saying that there are circumstances where it is not a concern.

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Old 03-01-2012
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
I too thought "Large Member" was a bit immature but you picked it. Ah NASCAR, that explains it.
Once I stop being immature, I'll let you stick one of those lead bullets in my head.

BTW, no one else has said it so.... You're a RACIST. Yes, NASCAR is a RACE!!!

You still have a lame argument and haven't done well supporting it. I'll let you continue to support my position.
Old 03-01-2012

weinie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
Once I stop being immature, I'll let you stick one of those lead bullets in my head.

BTW, no one else has said it so.... You're a RACIST. Yes, NASCAR is a RACE!!!

You still have a lame argument and haven't done well supporting it. I'll let you continue to support my position.
Hates guns... check.
Hates nascar... check.
Beer in avatar... 98.96% probability of being some obscure microbrew.

Yup... he's a democrat.
Old 03-07-2012

beej67 is on a distinguished road
Re: Gun question

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinie View Post
beej,

no matter what evidence and actual science you use to support your arguments, there are just some people you can never convince.
Human nature. Sure is fun to argue when you're right, though, which is also human nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
(stuff about lead being ingested and leaching into the environment)
The idea it "leaches into the environment" is the very thing I did the math on, so throw that out unless you've got better math. The only valid point you have, and it's a point I've already conceded, is that lead released from guns might make it into the food chain by some critter eating it. That's why I use steel shot in shotguns. I asked you if there were any fish that eat .22 bullets, and didn't hear any response, so unless you can dig one up this case is closed.

Quote:
So you are an out of work engineer.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I founded my company in 2009 and work quite hard, and I'm the most talented person I've ever met at what I do. But it doesn't take up 40 hours of my week, because of the economy, which leaves enough time to throw some numbers together about (rofl) "lead from bullets leaching into the environment, ten miles off shore."

Last edited by Jeff_H; 03-08-2012 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Removed Personal Attack per forum Rules- Jeff_H, SailNet Moderator
Old 03-07-2012

byrsch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by beej67 View Post
I've been fortunate enough to acquire a couple new firearms for Christmas, and don't have a great place to shoot them. I'd like to sail out into the gulf past the 12 mile limit and shoot beer bottles off a float. What sort of pesky rules and regulations might I run afoul of while doing so?
With all the shooting ranges in Florida why don't you just go to one, hang up a target, and pop away? At least you'd have an idea how you are doing.
Old 03-08-2012

Screaming Seagull is on a distinguished road
gun question

if you are beyond a states territorial sea and you pose no harm to any US Flag Vessel and do not interfere with import/export or military operations your in the clear. Just use common sense and use radar if you have it to look for possible vessels in the area.
Old 03-08-2012

weinie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrsch View Post
With all the shooting ranges in Florida why don't you just go to one, hang up a target, and pop away? At least you'd have an idea how you are doing.
and you can sail on a nice quiet protected lake instead of the ocean where its SOOOOO much more dangerous.
Old 03-09-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Tape the end of the barrel shut, and squirt a lot of WD 40 in the bore, then close the breach, when storing a gun on board, to eliminate corrosion in the bore.