Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I don't know where Panama City is but if you're close to Miami just go downtown and start blasting, doubt anyone would even raise an eyebrow :-))
Not sure what your local regulations are but I don't think you would need to go out 12 miles, and steel shot if you're shooting into water.
SloopJonB likes this.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2012

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
Cruise ships routinely have skeet contests off of the back in those same waters. I doubt you will do much more to the enviroment than a bunch of drunk tourists.
Old 02-26-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Don't let the liberals get you down. Your ownership helps them in the long run, even if they don't understand enough history to realize it yet.

The most prestigeous yacht club in our area shoots clay pigeons off the dock all winter long. I've been invited but I'm always busy doing boat stuff or actually sailing. Nice people, have met a bunch of them and may one day join the yacht club. There's a few more clubs that I know about that do the same thing. It's seems an active part of yacht club life up here.

We shoot clay pigeons off the beach in out near the end of Long Island. Police said it was ok, we called and asked before doing it the first time. Their attitude was "Of course it's ok, now stop calling to ask things like that." We got the launcher and everything, so it's quite an enjoyable way to get out of the house in winter. There are a lot of limosine liberals out in the Hamptons. When shooting off the beach and your run of the mill liberal walks by I always offer to let them have a try. Yes it's fun for them and they go away hopefully more educated and familiar with those things that the liberal press told them was bad their whole lives.

When out shark fishing once, 20 miles offshore, our captain talked about NYC cops onboard that were trying to shoot jumping fish with their handguns. I'm not a big fan of bullets over water because bullets can skip. But if you can't see any boats for 6 miles you've got to be ok. Even the most robust rifle won't skip a bullet that far, AFAIK.

Lead shot is ok in salt water. Steel shot is for inland wetlands where the lead would make a big negative impact. (Actually I'm not a fan of lead shot anywhere inland except ranges, since it's getting spread around on the top layer where everything lives.)

As for glass? It's made from sand, right? Enough said, except make sure you remember who gave you the advice that glass is not OK to put on the bottom of the ocean 12 miles out. (Plastic is a whole different story; you need to bring home every bit that you left with. I sometimes scoop up floating plastic bags with a dock pole and dispose of it on shore.)

Regards,
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .
. .
. .

Last edited by Bene505; 02-26-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-26-2012

beej67 is on a distinguished road
I live in the South. Liberals don't get me down. Much like Conservatives, they're actually sorta funny.

I have no compunction about ditching glass out where it's legal to dump, because as you say, glass is sand. Hell, it's habitat. Just got to make sure that it doesn't float back to shore and become garbage again. I also don't mind shooting bird shot for this deal, I just want to break my guns in without having to pay a fee - plus, not a lot of ranges allow shotguns in Atlanta.

Just looking for a way to shoot a bit before making the trek to the farm in Virginia later in the year. Life in suburbia leaves something to be desired in the area of firearm discharge.
Old 02-26-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
The simple solution to solve the environmental concerns is to line up the bottles on your rail, then you take your dink out the appropriate number of yards and shoot the bottles.
Most of the glass will stay on your deck where it will be easy to scrape off.
Old 02-26-2012

...into the water.
Old 02-26-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej67 View Post
as you say, glass is sand.
Uummm, glass WAS sand - once it's glass, it's glass and stays that way for a LONG time. Broken glass is garbage, whether it drifts ashore or not.

Saying glass is sand is like saying a nuke reactor core is pitchblende - there's a sort of of elemental connection but that's about all.

Do like JRD recommends - find a "nice" neighbourhood in Miami for your shooting and keep the ocean clean.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-26-2012

Quote:
Saying glass is sand is like saying a nuke reactor core is pitchblende
Lets not get crazy here. If I put a beer bottle in a sock and hit it with a hammer over and over I get sand. Do that with a spent fuel rod and you get radiation poisoning.
MedSailor likes this.
Old 02-26-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Blast away. Nobody cares. I'd try to avoid doing it in NY Harbor. Seriously, every big game fisherman is well equipped with firearms to gain the attention of sharks when they come in next to the boat and no one has ever questioned them that I know of. The draggers and lobstermen in LI Sound occasionally take shots AT EACH OTHER and no one seems to have a problem with it.
Old 02-26-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
If it was established what kind of guns we're actually talking about I missed it. There have been mentions of shotguns - which I would consider fairly safe assuming you check the area for nearby boats. There was also a mention of pistols which I would consider fairly unsafe as a bullet striking water at a low angle can skip like it hit concrete and travel quite a distance. Rifles were not mentioned, but if that's the kind of gun you're talking about, it would be much much safer to shoot at a range with a proper backstop as a rifle caliber bullet skipping off water can travel a very long distance.
Bene505 likes this.