Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012

RatHatDiver is on a distinguished road
Arrow Where do you even begin with these guys.

WOW !!! these knuckle heads had a bad day.
Like they always say. Never get into a life raft until you have to step into it, or in this case, get tossed up on the beach.
sail boat crash at the wedge in newport beach, CA 11/5/2011 - YouTube
Old 02-28-2012
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
That'll buff out..
HDChopper likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
I think it is pretty obviously a simple case of the motor not starting... forgetting how to sail... and forgetting how to drop an anchor. Happens all the time.
Old 02-28-2012

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
I think it is pretty obviously a simple case of the motor not starting... forgetting how to sail... and forgetting how to drop an anchor. Happens all the time.
Yeah, it does. Amazes me how fixated people can get. They probably saw that they were getting close to shore and decided to start the motor. Motor didn't start right away and instead of trying anything else at all, even just thinking for a few seconds "what should I do here?", they probably just kept trying and trying and trying to start the motor as they washed right up onto the shore.

As the marines say, "adapt, improvise, overcome." Which means that when plan A doesn't work (the motor won't start), you need to quickly come up with plan B (drop the anchor?), and then plan C (sail away, call for help, whatever), and keep trying different things (not just the SAME THING over and over) until you are either out of trouble or dead.
Old 02-28-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Yeah, it does. Amazes me how fixated people can get. They probably saw that they were getting close to shore and decided to start the motor. Motor didn't start right away and instead of trying anything else at all, even just thinking for a few seconds "what should I do here?", they probably just kept trying and trying and trying to start the motor as they washed right up onto the shore.

As the marines say, "adapt, improvise, overcome." Which means that when plan A doesn't work (the motor won't start), you need to quickly come up with plan B (drop the anchor?), and then plan C (sail away, call for help, whatever), and keep trying different things (not just the SAME THING over and over) until you are either out of trouble or dead.

It's pretty easy to freeze up and just not know what else to do when you have little experience. It helps to have thought experiments, imagining what you would do if say, X happens.

When I first started sailing my boat in the currents of the Hudson River I was worried that my motor wouldn't start some time and I would be swept up or down stream if the wind didn't cooperate. (Murphy's law, when your motor dies the wind will be coming directly from the direction you need to go). Then I thought about it, in the old days before motors, how did people get up and down the river? Duh! Drop the anchor and wait for the tide to change. But if such a thing had happened before I did that little thought experiment, I would likely have drifted into pilings before thinking of such an obvious thing. The panic of impending danger doesn't help your thought processes much either...

That said, I always thought that if my motor died I could just get in my dinghy and tow the boat that way. Then I actually tried it and found out that it is faaaaaaaaar more difficult, if not outright impossible, than it would seem. So... experience is everything I guess...
jrd22 likes this.
Old 02-28-2012

FoolishMuse is on a distinguished road
At least they were alert enough to put the starboard fender out. That should stop most of the damage.
Old 02-29-2012

benajah is on a distinguished road
Where's the keel? The boat gets washed up looking like its sitting on the hull. Either they lost the keel, or my guess is they had a swing keel, raised it, tried to get up close to shore to meet girls, and got hit by a wave. They look seventeen. I would have done that at seventeen. Hell I really can't blame them if that's the case, hormones trump sense any day when you are seventeen. Glad my kid is a girl. Guaranteed there was one really pissed dad came out of that mess.
Old 02-29-2012
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
The wedge gets pretty big.... lucky they didn't catch it pumping:

Old 02-29-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
The wedge gets pretty big.... lucky they didn't catch it pumping:

Those big waves only happen right at the corner between the beach and the harbor jetty (aka, The Wedge). When the swell is from the right direction, the waves reflect off of the jetty at almost full force. When a reflected wave meets the next wave to come along (usually at about 90˚) the result is a transient wave almost twice as tall. Closely watch the video and you'll see the reflected waves. But, it only happens within about 100 meters, if that, of the jetty.

That boat looks like it was several hundred meters to the north (you can see the jetty in the background). So, the big waves at The Wedge probably had nothing to do with their little misadventure.

Is anyone else wondering how the conversation went when they had to tell their dad what happened to his boat?
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 02-29-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 02-29-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Is anyone else wondering how the conversation went when they had to tell their dad what happened to his boat?
I'd imagine it would have been rather similar to when I smashed my Dad's car up a week after passing my test
RobGallagher likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.