Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesonclouds View Post
Step 4: In November we’ll head to south Florida and depending on comfort level with our skills, on to the Caribbean and beyond.
Before you head to the Caribbean from Florida, google "thorny path." Sailing south and east from Florida, down along the islands, is not nearly as easy as it appears from just looking at a map.
sawingknots and eyesonclouds like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2012

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Before you head to the Caribbean from Florida, google "thorny path." Sailing south and east from Florida, down along the islands, is not nearly as easy as it appears from just looking at a map.
welcome to sailn.and life on the water,everyone above is correct,being you will have plenty of time i would careful buy your boat but buy the best one you can afford,fixer-uppers can be expencive even if you can do most of the fixing yourself! right now good boats are relatively cheap!i would spend atleast a year cruising the coast perhaps south in the winter and more north during the really hot months and especially july-nov.huricane season,best of luck with your new life.ken owens
eyesonclouds likes this.
Old 02-28-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Congratulations and enjoy the challenges of getting into a cruising life. My concern is that there is a big difference between taking the course and really knowing how to do it. In four months of practice you are unlikely to get the varied experience you need to achieve your goals in the time you are proposing. Rather than thinking of going to the Caribbean it would make more sense to go to the Bahamas for a season and develop a lot of experience from that. Then come back to US and, if you are still keen, make the upgrades that your boat will need for more adventurous sailing.

I think that having a separate shower on a boat of the size you can afford makes little sense. We have a shower compartment on our 44' and we use it for storage and I suspect you would have to do so as well. Focus on getting a comfortable, reliable, and safe boat. Having a decent head should not be problem, but if you are showering onboard it will be in the head compartment. Most of the time you will find other options for showering.
eyesonclouds likes this.
Old 02-28-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
I don't want to rain on your parade but I'm going to take a different tack in my response. I recommend that before you commit to this lifestyle you spend some time doing it - perhaps charter for a few weeks to the Bahamas - something like that. You can probably find a private charter in Florida for a very reasonable price these days - maybe even work out some kind of application of the charter fee towards purchasing the boat later. Boats are a VERY tough sell these days.

Living on a small boat for an extended period is different than it appears to starry eyes. It's similar in some ways to living on an island - the romance fades quite a bit after a few trips in the dinghy in the rain to do your laundry or get some groceries.

Don't get me wrong, MANY people love it and live their lives that way but it is different than it appears in ones dreams and the realities are not for everyone.

Getting into it requires some serious commitments of time, funds etc. and it's best to know beforehand that this really is what you want rather than finding it out later. There is a reason why some crossroads ports are known for having cheap cruising boats available - Gibralter, Panama, Hawaiii have long standing reps as places where dreams come crashing down and people fly home.
eyesonclouds likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-29-2012
Wandering Seoul

eyesonclouds is on a distinguished road
Great advice

Thank you all for the outstanding advice and encouragement. I find your experience and expertise in these forums and the advice of people that have done it and are currently doing it to be extremely valuable. I now look forward to posting in the future as our adventure unfolds.

Henry T
Old 03-01-2012

seaward is on a distinguished road
In reply to first post, big question, I can say go cruising as soon as you can. We're not getting any younger! So, I would suggest to stay away from a lightly built cruising boat such as a Hunter or Catalina. Think about an older cruising boat, better built such as an Endeavour 32, Pearson 32, Dufour 31 or an Oday 31. As long as they have been constantly maintained and upgraded, these boats offer alot for a little money. There are plenty of other production boats that would fit the bill as well. ALSO make sure you get a good survey from a surveyor that specializes in sailboats.
Keep the dream alive and good luck.
Seaward
S/V Petrel
Endeavour 35
eyesonclouds likes this.
Old 03-01-2012

Todomi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Granted, with out budget we will have to live modestly on our monthly disposable budget of $2000
Hello Henry,

Plenty of good advice already, and I concur. But when I read that $2,000 a month would be a "modest" budget for you, I had to laugh. . . and worry too.

Pound-for-pound, replicating shore-side levels of comfort and convenience on a small boat will cost at least 2-3 times as much (in $ and time). If you're not prepared for the real differences, it may just seem like a very complicated, wet and expensive trip, that is taking way too long to get anywhere.

For a little reality check, try not using your air-conditioning at all this summer. Not the house or the car - nada. And make sure you park that car in the sun all day. Another major adjustment is fresh-water usage. It's hard to measure at home, but instead of just turning on the tap, try filling up two 3-liter soda bottles and using just that for all your needs through the day: Cooking, dish-washing, drinks, "shower," shaving, teeth, laundry, etc... It's not that hard, but you may be used to using 20 times that amount (easily). Just check your water bill.

Spending less sounds easy; having less can take some getting-used-to.

Regards.
eyesonclouds likes this.
Old 03-01-2012

harbin2 is on a distinguished road
SloopJohnB makes some good points that I tend to agree with. I'll add a little. I believe it takes a special person/couple to be "live a boards". If you are that type, you will love it. If you're not, you will find out before very long. So do your best to find out before making any big commitments. I have sailed for 50 years (off and on). It's a passion for me. Until recently, I never took much formal training. The training is good but you need to do it to have it engrained. It is like driving a car with a clutch. It is safest when you don't have to think about using the clutch and shifting gears. It enables you to focus on the road and other drivers. I have only been in really tough situations 3 or 4 times when sailing. If I hadn't had the basics down pat, I'm not sure I'd be here now. Those times make great stories but they are scary at the time. Taking a course will not prepare you - just like reading how to use a clutch and shifting gears won't.
Also, on the shower - forget that. Just go to the camping section in walmart and get a sun shower for $10. It's the only thing practical for most boats under 35'. In a 30' boat, cruising is like "camping on the water" (but lots more fun).
Good luck.
eyesonclouds likes this.

Last edited by harbin2; 03-01-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-01-2012

SUNCAT365 is on a distinguished road
Your plan is sound. You may want to consider older heavier boats. I'd only look at diesel powered boats myself of a 70's vintage. Other people's comments about time are correct. To compensate perhaps concentrate on boats near where you'd like to be. If you buy a boat that needs work in an area where it snows you may get seriously delayed and distracted. It happened to me.
eyesonclouds likes this.
Old 03-01-2012

rossbc is on a distinguished road
I am doing the same thing you are - God willing. In looking for a boat - I did some extensive research and found the Hunter 37 - Cherubini Cutter - 79-84 looked to be a great cruising boat. We bought one and now are sailing/prepping it on Lake Erie. In the years mentioned, you can find one for under 40K - some work needed, but solid.

It is over built, heavy but it sails fast and let me tell you it can handle ROUGH WEATHER - way better than we can A cutter, so you have 2 small foresails instead of a huge genny. We are modifying ours so that the staysail can be roller furled instead of folded - that way we dont have to go up on the foredeck in rough seas - not fun when you are in your 50s and 60s like we are.

Another boat is the Hunter 30 - roughly same vintage. A good solid boat with spacious interior and very comfortable for cruising.

Do some exploring - a great place to start is SailboatOwners.com - they have reviews for all kinds of boats - it will allow you to look at different manufacturers and evaluate the different possibilities from a safety and a price perspective.

ENJOY - its fun going through and looking at the reviews and it saves a lot of leg work.

Also - with the postings above I agree - take classes - the US Power squadron has classes in weather, navigation, piloting - you need them all - mostly to protect you from those that don't know what they are doing - LOL. Throw in a pinch of conservative judgement and the right safety equipment and above all, DON'T hurry - time can be your ally, but it can also be your enemy. Above all have fun!
eyesonclouds likes this.