Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012

newbee is on a distinguished road
Following our dream

We have sold our home and are looking for a liveaboard to learn on in Maine. Here is what we know about ourselves. We love being on the water, and are hardy souls who can share a small space for extended periods of time and keep our sense of humor. We bought a tiny little Hunter 21 last summer as our first "learning boat" and had a blast! We are starting the process of finding a boat in the 29-38 foot range with lots of headroom, a forgiving hull, and a reasonable learning curve. We have a budget of around 60,000$ All advice is welcome! Please chime in!!!!
So far we have considered A Sabre 38 with a fin keel, and any Island Packet between 29 and 32 feet. The bigger IP's are out of our financial reach. The Sabre is a BEAUTIFUL boat, but with our limited experience more than we can handle?
Thanks,
newbee
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2012
Multiman

mdi is on a distinguished road
Reply to: Following our dream

Two things come to mind for me: I would need at least 36' for a liveaboard and considering the part of the Country you live in, insulation - foam sandwich resin infused build would do that. Of course a lot of folks do this in much smaller boats, just my personal preference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-13-2012

sep2x is on a distinguished road
Re: Following our dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post
We have sold our home and are looking for a liveaboard to learn on in Maine. Here is what we know about ourselves. We love being on the water, and are hardy souls who can share a small space for extended periods of time and keep our sense of humor. We bought a tiny little Hunter 21 last summer as our first "learning boat" and had a blast! We are starting the process of finding a boat in the 29-38 foot range with lots of headroom, a forgiving hull, and a reasonable learning curve. We have a budget of around 60,000$ All advice is welcome! Please chime in!!!!
So far we have considered A Sabre 38 with a fin keel, and any Island Packet between 29 and 32 feet. The bigger IP's are out of our financial reach. The Sabre is a BEAUTIFUL boat, but with our limited experience more than we can handle?
Thanks,
newbee
Hi, welcome! If you're interested, check out our website at MaineLiveaboards | Where Mainers living on their boats can connect.. I will keep my eyes open for a boat that meets your criteria, are you going to the boat show this weekend? Would love to meet you!

~Sophi
Old 03-13-2012

MarioG is on a distinguished road

We are doing it on a Endeavour 32 and find its big enough for 2 plus it is easy enough for either to sail solo if need be. I know the IP 32 is alot like our 32 just more beam and think it would work well for a couple if you don't need alot of extra stuff.

Remember bigger boat means more maintainance and cost
Old 03-13-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Having gone from 28 to 34 and now 42 I doubt I could live at my age with less than 40, presuming a couple. OTOH, twenty years ago I'm sure I could have survived quite happily with the 34'er.

Big question for me would be location and whether "liveaboard" means tied up to a marina, out on a mooring or moving around at anchor.

If you cruise in warm climes then large head becomes less important, cooler climes a nice hot shower is a wonderful thing to have but if you intend spending most of your time in a marina then shower becomes almost irrelevent.

Out at sea , size does matter. Generally speaking a 40'er will be more comfortable and provide a somewhat more stable platform for work both above and below deck while the smaller boat with smaller gear can be easier to sail. I have found though that going foward on our 40'er is so much easier than an our old 34 that the size of the gear is not as problematic as I would have once thought. Conversely, sleeping at sea is no different on the bigger boat than the smaller which did surprise me although I always found our old girl to be quite comfortable.

Time was that I would have said yea to an IP but having gotten close and personal with them I think not. Yes as a floating condo but sailing performance leaves me unimpressed and without wishing to insult any IP owners, underwater they just look wrong (to me) whereas I must admit to having a soft spot for the Sabres (in general cos I on't specificlly know the 38.) I know cruising sailors should not be in a hurry but an efficient passage making machine is important. None of our girls were ocean greyhounds but all were/are capable of relatively good time into the wind. On a recent passage watching a poor soul in an old gaff schooner trying and failing to make good down the coast impressed this on me.

Finally budget considerations must surely dictate your choice. With only USD60,000 I'd be thinking buy good quality and condition unless your intention is to spend some time refitting and will have a decent income stream. If your choice requires a big refit then MarioG's advice is right on the money. Check out the difference between any bit of kit for a 40'er v 30'er and you will see why so many fold like smaller.

My thoughts only ... based on my experience which is only average and you have to allow for generalities. Not all 40'ers are created equal and e.g. what I don't like about IPs may well be the things that others like.

Good luck in your search.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 03-13-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

As tdw alluded to, a lot depends on how and where you'll be using the boat. To me, that's the first consideration to make, before all others. And don't forget, it's one thing to sail a 21 footer, and quite another to sail a larger boat that is also your home.

As in any endeavor, preparation is the key. It works out much better to get a boat suited to what you intend to do, than to suit what you do to the boat you get.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 03-13-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Hey newbie, I think we may have met last weekend. Feel free to contact us if you would like to discuss your choices in person.

-----------------------------------------------------