Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By deniseO30
  • 1 Post By CarolynShearlock

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2012

sunflower100 is on a distinguished road
I am a new "newbie" looking for advice

Hello to everyone!
It has been around 20 years since I was onboard a small sailboat - a Sunfish. I have started looking for one here where I live (Nashville TN). I want to be able to take my wife out on the local lake. I want a boat that we can enjoy for a couple of years. Although there are Laser races on the lake we live near, I don't know if I would ever compete..... A Laser almost seems overwhelming to me based on what I have read, but I do not hesitate to confront challenges, and the thought of a boat that would "challenge" my ability to learn does not distract me. Ideally, I would appreciate some experienced peopleís opinions. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-29-2012
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Welcome to sailnet! Suggestion? Wife and you go sailing on a charter or someone's boat that is willing to spend a few hours with you "just to see" if she likes it and as a couple you would want to go again. I mean.. why buy something if your not going to use it?

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-29-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
I agree with Denise. I'd also add that you might Google sailing clubs in your area and join one or two. You potentially get to crew on different boats to see what fits you and the clubs are generally inexpensive to join. The two that I belong to are about $40/year for both of us.

Joining a club also opens a door to the local boating community where you can ask questions, get a feel for what boat ownership means in terms of expenses, time, responsibility, etc. and see if you really want to go down this path.

Then, once you do decide to take the plunge, look into some sailing classes.

Good luck and welcome to Sailnet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 02-29-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I think you may have more success getting your wife involved with something you can sit in rather than sit on... and a Laser is a great boat but not really meant for two.

Any of the various 2 person dinghies like an Enterprise, Lazy E,, a Tasar, or even a Mirror or something like that might be better. Hunter and Catalina/Capri have made some nice 15 and 16 footers as well that would fit the bill.

If the two of you work it out and you want real performance then look at a Laser II or something like that for the rush.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-29-2012

CarolynShearlock is on a distinguished road
A Laser -- or Sunfish, for that matter -- is really a single person boat. Lots of fun, but not a good choice for two people to go out on together. Yes, two CAN fit on one (I've owned both at various times) but you'll be a lot happier with something that is a little larger and designed for two.

We sail -- and race -- a boat called a Y-Flyer and it's a good boat for two people. Fairly stable. We'll be having our National Championship in Nashville at Harbor Island Yacht Club in late June. There are a couple of Y sailors in the Nashville area and there are plenty in the Midwest, some fairly cheap. If you PM me, I'm happy to provide more info. The class web site is at Y-Flyer.org - Home.

Some other boats that come to mind would be a Hobie 16 (catamaran and lots of them around) or Flying Scot (a little larger but stable and fairly easy to sail).

I'm sure some other people will have some other ideas, too. You might go down to your local sailing club and talk to the sailors there about their boats, too.

Above all, have fun!
Faster likes this.

Old 02-29-2012

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
Sunflower,

How young are you and what is your interest? How big is the lake? Kids? Why do I ask? For a little more than a laser you can get a 20'+ keel boat that you can take out for the weekend. You can take friends out on a nice summer sail. And with a 20 footer, a midsized car or small truck should be able to haul it just fine.

Don
Biddeford, ME
Old 02-29-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
ANother vote for a beach cat.
Old 02-29-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
If you learned to sail a Sunfish you could learn to sail something like this 14' Capri:
1987 CAPRI 14.2 AND TRAILER ( NC WALL 87 ) 1987 CAPRI 14.2 AND TRAILER ( NC WALL 87 ) | eBay
or the Flying Scot already mentioned.
O'Day Daysailor 17' might also be worth checking out.

Everybody has one:

Old 03-01-2012

Tomasailing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynShearlock View Post
A Laser -- or Sunfish, for that matter -- is really a single person boat. Lots of fun, but not a good choice for two people ..

Above all, have fun!
From my experience... I tend to agre with Colin...a 2 person boat is fun for both of you.... A laser is only good for one of you leaving SWMBO ashore to get bored, chat up the local pro or take up the G word (heaven forbid)..

An old design dingy like a fireball or a new design like an omega is good.. They are responsive but not too lively allowing you to get it right and capsize in equal measure..

Don't try and learn to sail in something racy like a 49er.. You will only spend all your life upside down in the water. They take a lot of balance and understanding of sails... However once mastered they are like a rocket.. Hobbies are great fun and do go fast but you do not get the sense of how the wind affects you as they don't tip at all.. So you will go fast but it will take more time to actually understand the sailing..

Most of all... always laugh when you take another dunk..
Old 03-01-2012
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Let me add my two cents worth. I was in almost the exact same position as you 12 years ago. My girlfriend's father had taught me to sail 20 years earlier (just before she dumped me ), and I had a lake that I wanted to sail on with my wife.

I did exactly what you suggested - I went looking for a Sunfish. I ended up finding a Phantom, which is almost identical to the Sunfish but with a slightly larger, more comfortable cockpit that both of us could fit into. After 10 years of sailing that, we upgraded to our current Catalina 250, but we still have the Phantom and sail it 2 weeks a year on the lake while on vacation. We still love that boat.

You'll learn a lot from joining a club, or finding someone to take you out. But don't be afraid to just go out and buy a boat if you want to get started on your own. If you can find something used with a trailer for under $1000, the upside far outweighs the downside (assuming you have a place to store the boat for free - like a back yard).

I do agree that something like a Capri 14, Flying Scot, or a Thistle has a lot more space for two to stretch out. Some of these are sloop rigs, which improves performance, but can be a little more complicated to rig at the boat ramp.

Ease of trailering and rigging should be a consideration. Be careful about advice that begins with "for only a few dollars more you can get..." because it's about more than just money. It's hard to beat the simplicity of the lateen rig of a Sunfish, Phantom, Scorpion, Aqua Fin, or any of the other dozens of Sunfish clones. But space for two is very tight on them. As with everything involved with sailing, there are compromises and tradeoffs.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.