SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sailing Related Movies

5K views 29 replies 24 participants last post by  Smart Pig 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone know of any great or not so great sailing movies? We have about 6 weeks left until boating season starts again. It would be nice to find something to watch.

Movies could be big time movies to little you tube type. Fictional or instructional.

Here's a few to get started.
The O Canada Project

Sailing Around The World - The O Canada Project

Racing Around the World Alone

Racing Around the World Alone (2010) - IMDb

Cast Away, Ok not really a sailing movie, but sort of applies.

Any other fun movies you can think of. I left some obvious ones out to see who post them first.

See less See more
#2 ·
Other than "Dove", I personally don't know of any. There are some interesting videos on You Tube. The adventures of LeaLea come to mind.

#6 ·
An older film, Around The World With Jean De Sud, is still one of the best ever documentaries about circumnavigating in a small (30') sailboat. At times its hard to believe that there is not a whole film crew on board with Yves Gelinas...his extraordinary abilities as a filmmaker only add to the great story. I have one of Yves' Cape Horn windvanes on my boat, so I especially recommend this movie to anyone considering self steering gear.

With Jean-du-Sud Around the World: Trailer Update - YouTube

#13 · (Edited)
Dove for entertainment, Captain Ron is more of an instructional video :D

Morning light was pretty cool...

#17 ·
Number one is certainly Morning Light. Great recomendation.
Yes, I agree with the mandate for Captain Ron!
Captain and Commander is a winner as well...several episodes to get hooked.
No, I would not recommend Dove.
No, I would not recommend Crowhurst.
Water World gets a maybe.......Nice multi-hull special effects.....but bad, bad-guys.
Two good submarine themes are Operation Peticoat and Down Periscope
And you might like "The Wackiest Ship in the Army" or "Father Goose".
Enjoy

#18 ·
I'll have to check out the Jean de Sud movie, thanks for that.

Morning Glory by Disney was worth a watch. Walt's nephew finances a race crew for a trans pacific race. He recruits a bunch of completely green young folks, trains them up and enters them in the race. It's a little bit too much like MTV's "Real World" at times, but it's nice watching noobs turn into real sailors.

Morning Light (2008) - IMDb

MedSailor

#23 ·
We just downloaded and watched White Squall based on a true story last night. It's good movie. We know it's Hollywood but if even half of the facts are right the captain did many wrong things. Oh well it was entertaining enough.

Re-watched cast away too.

Tonight it's dead calm and maybe hold fast???

#24 ·
Another an entertaining one: Cabin Boy
My friend recommended this to me a few years ago, and I went in thinking it might be a good movie. To this date I think it hits as my number one worst rated movie. And maybe I'm just soul-less but I laughed through half of White Squall because I think they used every cliche in the book. :) (don't worry, I'm only laughing at the movie itself, not the true story behind it)

Although it's a very small part, one of my favorites is What About Bob and "I'm Sailing! I'm Sailing"

#26 ·
Oh yes the good old days of movies. Who back in the 90's would have thought those movies would turn out to be so simple and basic. Today's movies can not compare, they try to wow you with CGI but miss the point sometimes.

Serendipitous, if you guys find yourselves going south to Michigan City we'll save a spot for you. We'd love to meet you guys and have a drink.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.