Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgiguere View Post
Hey, Travelineasy, I like your comments on fishing off your boat. We have done this a lot on the bay out of Hartge's and do it under sail. By the way, have 2 buddies going out for a day sail Friday (tomorrow). If you'd like to go, just show up at Hartge's at 10am. I'm on D dock number 135...it's an 1967 Chris Craft Apache 37 sloop. Would love to have you.

Moe
I would have loved to have gone out sailing, especially on a day like today. The temperature will probably be in the upper 50s to low 60s, perfect winds and calm seas. You might not catch any fish, but you're definitely going to have a great day for sailing. Unfortunately, I have a music job at Mays Chapel in Towson at 2:30 today, and two private parties to perform at on Saturday. My only day off this week is Sunday, and of course it will be cold and nasty, so I guess I'll be doing nasty jobs on my boat.

Thanks again for the invitation,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
I don't keep Bluefish anymore, just throw them back. They just don't taste good.

Regards,
Brad
I agree. Fun to fish when they are attacking the bait fish, but I'm tired of trying to drown the flavor in tomatoes, lemons, onions, anything that would overpower them.

On the other hand, when I used to have a slip next to a town pier where local laborers were fishing for food, they could easiy be given away and appreciated.
Bene505 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-02-2012

MY36 is on a distinguished road
good tasting north east fish

So, if blue fish and stripers are not particularly delicious, is there anything in the north east that is delicious (and that we can catch from our sailboats - trolling or not)?
Old 03-02-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY36 View Post
So, if blue fish and stripers are not particularly delicious, is there anything in the north east that is delicious (and that we can catch from our sailboats - trolling or not)?
Flounder/fluke are pretty good, but are bottom feeders so no trolling. I have caught alot of flounder from jetties/rock pilings/etc, they seem to really like a live killy attached maybe 2-3' from a light sinker.

But I am personally more interested in trolling than anchoring or drift fishing (lol the smell of drifting chum just takes the romance out of sailing).

If you go out to the canyon (I have never done this) you can catch delicious tuna (OMG fresh grilled tuna steak can't be beat) and other sport fish, but it is many miles offshore and IDK how practical/safe the trip would be for a coastal cruising sailboat. I wonder whether anyone really does this on a sailboat?

Last edited by peterchech; 03-02-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-02-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Best fish I've ever eaten in any quantity out of New England waters is blackfish. They're ugly and found in rocky areas, so not great from a big boat. They feed on crustaceans, so you bait them with little crabs we would gather from under rocks at low tide. Still remember exactly where my secret hole was 35 years ago and I aint tellin.

Agree that fluke were good too.

Caught a tuna once trolling off the eastern shore of Block Island.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-02-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
I'm with you, Brad. Bluefish, mackerel, all the same to me. Good bait for crab or lobster pots, no other use for 'em. I prefer to buy my 3-in-1 Oil in those handy single-serving metal containers.
Bene505 likes this.
Old 03-02-2012

weinie is on a distinguished road
I was actually hoping to catch some stripers or blues this spring and summer during those times I want to be out on the boat and wind is calm.

I've done alot of fluke fishing over the years, but never really fished for blues or stripers. (okay... more like sea robins and skates )

I've trolled the interwebs looking for some pointers, but the amount of info I found on this stuff could fill volumes!

I'm looking for basic gear advice, bait advice, as well as optimal times and locations to fish. (I sail out of pt washington ny).

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Optimal times for fishing are around new and full moon cycles.
High tide or incoming tide also seem to be good times as well.
Then there is the underwater structure. Some fish like sandy or weedy bottoms (flounder), some like rocky places (Blackfish) and some like shallows or constrained channels that have a lot of tidal flow.
yada yada

Everybody has one:

Old 03-02-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road
THREAD DRIFT WARNING: I was in Hawaii a month ago, went to the Bishop museum (highly recommended) and saw all the fishing gear and techniques the native hawaiians would use. This is what they used for ocean trolling behind their sailing canoes

That and a hand line is all they used, I even saw bone and koa wood SHARK HOOKS... lots of respect there... catching large tiger sharks on a boat lashed together in natural fiber...

Last edited by peterchech; 03-02-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2012

jimrafford is on a distinguished road
When we head east to Cuttyhunk every summer I always plot a course thru the mud hole off block. A 30 - 50 lb tuna makes for a lot of good eats. Never been dissapointed.
Jim