SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Mast Stepping Double Spreader Rig?

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  knothead 
#1 ·
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how you would step a double spreader mast using a jib crane?
More specifically, how do you rig the sling so as to not get it stuck between the set of spreaders?
Any input would be appreciated...

#2 ·
The way I always do it is to have a man go aloft riding the sling and carrying the "down line". The man steps out of the sling onto the lower spreaders and the hook is lowered to where he can unhook one side of the sling, wrap it around the mast and hook it up again.
The hook is raised and the "down line" is middled on the sling.
The man then slides down the mast holding both parts of the down line.
The down line is secured around either the winches or gooseneck.
The mast is pulled. :)

#7 ·
The issue is that the sling can only come down as far as the lower spreaders allow it to. That's why I use a very long sling.
On most boats, we can reach the hook with the sling still over the lower spreaders. We unhook one side of the sling and then the crane pulls the sling back up till it comes off the spreader.

You usually don't need to pull it down, it comes down on it's own unless it hangs up on a steaming light or something. That's why it's a good idea to trap at least one halyard under the sling to release it in case it does hang up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.