Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By JonEisberg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012
... a logical conclusion

Sequitur is on a distinguished road
Sequitur Heads North

I have just added a new blog post at: North From The Falklands

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Sequitur Heads North

Another good entry, Michael and Edi... and a good reminder never to get 'locked into a schedule'!

Cheers

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-05-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road

Interesting challenges you faced on this one. I assume you'll be fixing the connections that are giving you issues while in Uruguay?

Brad
s/v KIVALO
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 03-06-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Another good entry, Michael and Edi... and a good reminder never to get 'locked into a schedule'!

Cheers
Not to mention, a somewhat sobering reminder of the potential downside of the ever-increasing complexity of the typical modern cruising boat, and the risks of all these networked/linked systems that can create a cascade effect of failures or problems on down the line...

Sounds like Michael has done the prudent thing, it certainly would be nice to have reliable access to gribs and whatnot for a passage across to Capetown... However, I can't help but note how "spoiled" all of us have become by so many of today's cruising "essentials" - none of the problems Michael has mentioned, after all, would have prevented an otherwise well-found cruising boat from making that passage as recently as, say, a mere decade ago...

Or, indeed, someone like the Pardeys from doing it today... (grin)

At any rate, yet another impressively done passage from Michael and Edi, very well done... Uruguay sounds like a wonderful place, I hope they can finally get some of these issues sorted out once and for all...
Old 03-06-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
However, I can't help but note how "spoiled" all of us have become by so many of today's cruising "essentials" - none of the problems Michael has mentioned, after all, would have prevented an otherwise well-found cruising boat from making that passage as recently as, say, a mere decade ago...

Or, indeed, someone like the Pardeys from doing it today... (grin)
Yeah, yeah, yeah...the grass is always greener on the previous side of the century.

Personally, I'll take the gizmos thanks. I mean, it's not like their failure prohibits a Pardey-esque jaunt, they just make the other 99% of passages that much easier and relaxing.

You don't have a motor or radar or vhf or gps in your boat right? (chortle)

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 03-06-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-06-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah...the grass is always greener on the previous side of the century.

Personally, I'll take the gizmos thanks. I mean, it's not like their failure prohibits a Pardey-esque jaunt, they just make the other 99% of passages that much easier and relaxing.

You don't have a motor or radar or vhf or gps in your boat right? (chortle)
Nah, I like my gizmos as much as the next guy, and I would guess that my little tub has more of them than most cruising boats of comparable size... I was simply pointing out how commonplace it has become, for cruising plans to become altered, or aborted, due to issues with such "accessories"...

However, I will always view the incredible complexity I see creeping into so many modern cruising boats as a dangerous trend. I've not had good luck with some of these networked/daisy-chained systems, which as Michael seems to be finding out, can be very difficult for most of us to troubleshoot... I much prefer systems that stand alone, and don't take down other features with them, should they crash... If my chartplotter goes TU, for example, I can still have a functional AIS simply by plugging the GPS input into one of a few other backup GPS units I carry... Unfortunately, these fully-integrated systems are what all the manufacturers are pushing, these days...

Again, I don't mean to be critical of Michael or anyone else, here, but there is also a tremendous value in installing as much of this stuff as one can, yourself... For example, seems to me he might do well to just rip out his entire SSB installation, and start over from scratch. Installing an SSB is not rocket science - trust me, if an electrical/electronics dumbass like ME can do it, ANYONE can... No matter how buggered the original installation in Vancouver was, unless the equipment has been actually somehow damaged, there's no reason he shouldn't be able to get it functioning reliably, assuming he has access to any parts or materials he might require... Obviously, by heading to Uruguay, he'll hopefully manage to accomplish that...

Black boxes on a boat can be nice to have, but they should always be viewed with fear, and trepidation (grin) And, in my observation, the cruisers out there who appear to be the happiest, and most likely to stick with it for the long haul, are those who've made carefully considered choices to avoid unnecessary complexity in their boats, or reliance on the uninterrupted flow of electrons inside of tiny black boxes that most of us would not dare to attempt to open...

Anyway, while the following doesn't necessarily relate directly to some of the issues Michael has experienced, Beth Leonard & Evans Starzinger have said it far better than I ever can... And so, without further ado, may I present the Single Best Article EVER Published in a Glossy Cruising Rag...(grin)

You'll have to download the pdf file here:

www.bethandevans.com/pdf/Leftoff.pdf

Quote:

WHAT TWO CIRCUMNAVIGATORS LEFT OFF WHEN THEY EQUIPPED THEIR
DREAM BOAT

© 2006 Beth A. Leonard & Evans Starzinger

Sailing, like life, is about tradeoffs. One of the most basic tradeoffs has to do with when
we stop working and start cruising. If we buy into the boat show hype and the “must-have, can’t
leave without” equipment advertisements, for many of us the “when” will fade to an “if”—and
eventually into a “might-have been.” A second basic tradeoff, as we discovered over the course
of our three-year circumnavigation, has to do with how much time we spend seeing the places we
sail to and how much time we spend in chandleries, boatyards, freight offices and on our
stomachs in the bilge of the boat. The more comfortable and convenient a boat, the more
complicated—and the more time will be spent fixing it instead of sightseeing.

The main thing we tried to leave off the boat was complexity. We can always make our
simple boat more complex, but it can be almost impossible to simplify a complex boat. So far,
we’re very happy with our decisions. By leaving off the things on the list above, we saved at
least $15,000—one year’s cruising budget. Even more importantly, after four months and 3,000
nautical miles, we don’t have anything we need to fix. We’re more relaxed, seeing more of the
places we visit, and enjoying ourselves more. Compared to our last voyage, not only did we
leave off the complexity, we also left off a lot of the stress. And that makes sense.
tdw, copacabana and Rik_Aruba like this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 03-06-2012 at 08:20 PM.