Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
Yacht Club Dry Dock fees???

Just curious....Actually the wife and I were having a discussion and she is convinced that the local yacht club with maybe 30 Dry Dock spaces pulls the boats and launches them and stores them free for members. I thought then why pay for a slip or mooring if I can call ahead a few hours and have my boat in the water, then have it pulled at the end of the day? Why pay a diver to keep the hull clean? Plus wouldn't the 100s of members all want those precious spots? I see a boat every weekend on the water, then see it right up on land during the week. My thoughts were thats gotta cost...her thoughts were perks of yacht club membership...ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by NewportNewbie; 03-06-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2012

overbored is on a distinguished road
Re: Yacht Club Dry Dock fees???

which club? I am trying to figure out where you saw a 30' boat that is dry sailed in Newport Harbor. Several of the clubs in Newport harbor have hoists which can handle smaller trailer boats and some can handle the lighter 30' trailer sport boats like the flying tiger or the star boats. don't know of any that can handle a santana 30.
The boats stored at the club are not stored for free. first you need to be a member and in Newport that is not even close to being free and then there are the monthly club dues which in newport can be as much as your mooring fee. The club charges for the dry storage of the boat on the trailer and at most clubs you do the moving of the boat and your own hook up and run the hoist. many years ago there was a commercial dry storage facility for trailer boats on the peninsula next to Woody's Wharf but is long gone because the property is worth to much to use for boat storage. clubs like NHYC and BYC, have hoists and if they were looking for new members and they are not, the initiation fees would be many times the cost of a boat. there are yacht clubs that are affordable to join. initiation fees for a club can vary from $100 to several hundred thousand. monthly dues from $50 to severel thousand a month.

Last edited by overbored; 03-06-2012 at 03:21 AM.
Old 03-06-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Why don't you give the Club a call? best way to find out the costs. They are all different, many are very socially connected, some are hard core sailboat racing, others are steeped in tradition and preten$e.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-06-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

Around here the biggest boat that happens with is a J80 and it is all DIY and the snooty club cost 5K+++ so it is sure NOT free

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 03-06-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Dry storage has all the advantages you mentioned but will NOT be free... membership can run to 10s of $Ks just to join, storage fees will be similar to slip fees.

Also the boats that are actively dry stored are those which lend themselves to being easily lifted and launched.. usually we're talking single point lift rather than slings, and dropping the boat onto a trailer and pushing it across the yard. Not really practical for most cruiser/racers. J24s, Stars, Dragons and various other one designs are typically handled this way. Here a few clubs dry store boats - usually racers and no bigger than 32/35 feet. The Melges 32 with its lifting keel is a good candidate for this type of program - and can take good advantage of the benefits of dry storage.

I'd be surprised if a boat such as your S30 was used that way.. The other possibility is that the club simply has a dry storage yard serviced by some sort of travel lift or forklift and those boats don't get launched and retrieved on a regular basis.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-06-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Many years ago I taught at NYC. We had a 1 ton boom that we used to haul J24s, but nothing larger. When I visited last summer I don't recall seeing a larger lift. Slips there are so hard to come by that someone tried to bequeath his right to a slip in his will, leading to a long court battle, so I suspect the dry dock is not free.
Old 03-07-2012
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

There are some dry storage lots adjacent to boat ramps, such as at Marina del Rey, which, however, has a length limit of 28 feet or less. Most of the yacht club dry storage areas are focused upon crane launching as described above, though some might also have ramps.