Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012

SOUNDBOUNDER is on a distinguished road
Mystic Seaportís Capt. George Moffett Passes at 67

In 1981, George found a position that allowed him to combine his love of sailing and background in education on the schooner Brilliant at Mystic Seaport. During the 25 years that he served as her captain, he introduced over 3,000 teenagers and adults to sea as part of the museum's sail-education program.

The job turned out to be a perfect match: as a teacher and mentor, he inspired self-discovery and courage by motivating his crew members to challenge themselves, persevere in hardship and never do things halfway. As an engineer, artist, and steward, he maintained the classic vessel to perfection. As a preservationist and communicator, he garnered appreciation for the yacht's mission and craftsmanship and raised an endowment to make its operations sustainable.
As a wanderer and tactician, he took the boat to ever further waters and won races on the New England Coast and to Bermuda. Most notably, he raced Brilliant across the Atlantic from Halifax to Amsterdam in Tall Ships 2000 and won first in class and first overall.

Mystic Seaport

George H. Moffett Jr. Obituary: View George Moffett's Obituary by The Day

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2012

jimrafford is on a distinguished road
Re: Mystic Seaportís Capt. George Moffett Passes at 67

He will be missed.
Thanks for the heads up
Jim
Old 03-06-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road
Re: Mystic Seaportís Capt. George Moffett Passes at 67

Rest in Peace Captain Moffett. I, for one, will not forget you or the Schooner BRILLIANT.

I had the privilege of crewing aboard the BRILLIANT 3 times in my teens and George Moffett was my captain. The time spent aboard her are among my favorite experiences as a teenager, a big part of that was Captain Moffett. He was a good man.

I love the BRILLIANT so much I named my own boat after her. KIVALO is bastardized Hungarian for brilliant.

Brad
s/v KIVALO
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook