Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012

surelyujest71 is on a distinguished road
Re: First Sail of the Year - 03/06/12

He definitely was. But, I was more interested in just having my cousin ride along, than I was in trying to make him sit "exactly so, right there, now quickly, to the other side!" the entire time.

He just bought a house. A big one. Near Phoenix, Az. I keep telling him, every item you own is an anchor, but now I come to think that maybe he feels the need for anchors in his life. For me, I'm slowly freeing myself of my anchors, and look forward to the day when everything I own fits easily and comfortably in a reasonably sized sailboat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2012

surelyujest71 is on a distinguished road

I went out on Monday, March 12, with my nephew and niece to the little lake nearby, to get my second sail of the year in. My sister and mom came along, too, although my mom didn't care to try sailing. Weather forecast was for 15 mph winds... a little active to take the kids sailing for their first times, but still fun. It wasn't until I'd been sailing for a couple of hours and had taken my niece out already that my sister commented that she checked the weather shortly after I got out on the water and the wind was already up to 18 mph. Not long before the end of sailing for the day, my nephew finally rode, just once, briefly - after his sister sailed with me twice! (screaming her head off the first time! lol) As we were leaving, I asked my sister to check the weather for windspeed again - about 25 mph! So much for the "fun but safe" wind forecast. It was tons of fun, though, spending several hours on the water, fighting to hold the sail in, leaning way out to compensate for heel, and even dragging the boom in the water once or twice, I heeled over so far! On the way in, I decided to go straight for the shoreline from a little distance out, and see how fast I could go with the daggerboard up. This was a small mistake: On the way in, I wound up a bit off of where I wanted to be, so had to steer a bit to port - and with the daggerboard up, I had an accidental gybe with that strong wind, and nearly wound up in the water, myself! I did end up with about an inch of water added to the cockpit by the time it settled, again. I have no idea how I managed to keep from going into the drink.

Lots of fun, even for the screaming kids, and plenty of exercise, which was sorely needed, along with a slight sunburn (first of the year!). I'm loving this warm, early spring.
Old 04-12-2012
Sailing Member

getwet is on a distinguished road

I'm guessing March 6th as a first sail of the season in Missouri is pretty good. Our first sail was just a few weeks ago on March 15th. It was great, but unlike yours surelyujest71, we had hardly any wind. Nevertheless, it was cause for celebration. Love these warm spring days!

First Sail in 2012

Tags
dolphin , fun , small , wild , wind