Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road
Re: Lake sailors: how do you like your wind?

Small world, I have spent a lot of time on Cayuga Lake. For some reason the Cayuga County Sheriff's Department actually paid me to spend all day out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcgov View Post
I grew up on Canandaigua Lake & did a lot of windsurfing there. But most of our sailing was on Cayuga Lake, where we had a cottage near Union Springs. Forty miles long, 1-2 miles wide, and you can still drown in it. Owasco is a pretty little lake. We have distant relatives in Auburn.
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2012

Serendipitous is on a distinguished road

I'm an east coast Lake Michigan sailor. Since I'm not a racer and not in the need for speed most of the time, I'd say a perfect day for me is winds at 15 knots, enough to keep us moving along but not so windy I have to start putting on layers. Kind of defeats the purpose of a day out in the sun, right?

I start to get concerned when winds are over 25 knots but will still suck it up until they're over 30 and then maybe it's time to start heading back in. Earlier though if the waves are starting to build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jessica
Muskegon, MI
89' Sabre 34 Targa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-09-2012

itsaboat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipitous View Post
I start to get concerned when winds are over 25 knots but will still suck it up until they're over 30 and then maybe it's time to start heading back in. Earlier though if the waves are starting to build.
Sounds wise. We had a fun little adventure this week that resulted in popping some sail slides due to an ill-timed wind gust during a jibe. Turns out that the slides were old and a $0.75 a piece to replace, it might be the least expensive fix we ever get to do on the boat!

Nice blog, Jessica. I burned a little of Friday afternoon at work reading it today. Are you planning to update it soon?
Serendipitous likes this.
Old 03-09-2012

Quote:
Nice blog, Jessica. I burned a little of Friday afternoon at work reading it today. Are you planning to update it soon?
Thanks. I just started a facebook page last month that will get better updates. As far as the blog....I'm working on getting caught up. You may not know it but I just posted 'The Day The Spiders Have Their Parade' this past Sunday. Getting there though and pretty soon there will be actual work commencing on the boat again that I'll want to write about. Now that I know someone's reading I'll have to get my butt in gear.

Jessica
Muskegon, MI
89' Sabre 34 Targa

Old 03-09-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Jess - I didn't read too much, but, that is a good QUALITY blog.
Serendipitous likes this.
Old 03-10-2012

lynxcat319 is on a distinguished road

pretty fickle winds on the resevoir I am generaly on.JUst out side of Denver and 5200 above sea level.days go from 2 to 30 in an instant and the only warning is the ripples on the water.Changes directions every 10 minute.it is good and deep though,so dont get the hard chop,just ripples of white caps in rows.The lake is almost center between work and home so it makes for good weekday evening sails.and there are no conditions out side of pouring rain to keep me off if I need a sail.If it rains while I am out I just cruise till they dry out,and if that dont happen it is a great reason to go back the next day and dry em out.The boat is a 23' venture newport cutter.one tuff boat..
Old 03-10-2012

Quote:
Jess - I didn't read too much, but, that is a good QUALITY blog.
Thank you We've actually had it for a few years now and it just got a major face-lift a few weeks ago. Still trying to work out a few kinks to get it exactly the way we want it, but man, that kind of stuff can be hard work! I appreciate the feedback, these are actually the first comments I've had about the blog.

Jessica
Muskegon, MI
89' Sabre 34 Targa