Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Ideas on securing wires inside mast?

I've got the same problem. Jon's method above sounds good. I've got a long length of rebar that could be used in place of iron pipe.

One thing I question is how do you satisfy the AYBC requirement of supporting the wire every 18 inches (to satisfy you would need a wire tie support every 18 inches coming down the mast, otherwise all of wires weight is supported from one point at the top). With wire in the mast seems nearly impossible. And how do you adequately support 40 feet or more of wire from the mast head? My wire just swing around and rub inside the mast, surprised they still work and have not broken loose from the top of the mast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"One thing I question is how do you satisfy the AYBC requirement of supporting the wire every 18 inches "
I suppose that means doing what the utility companies do on powerlines. Run a separate steel cable, secure the other wires to it every 18". Oh did I forget? To mention do that while the mast is down, now insert the whole bundle in your conduit and secure it from the top, let the steel cable take all the weight.

Sometimes there's no easy or practical way to retrofit.
Old 03-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"One thing I question is how do you satisfy the AYBC requirement of supporting the wire every 18 inches "
I suppose that means doing what the utility companies do on powerlines. Run a separate steel cable, secure the other wires to it every 18". Oh did I forget? To mention do that while the mast is down, now insert the whole bundle in your conduit and secure it from the top, let the steel cable take all the weight.

Sometimes there's no easy or practical way to retrofit.
Know as a messager cable. Good idea. Maybe use a 1/16 inch AmSteel line instead of steel cable.
Old 03-07-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

No, a messenger cable is used strictly to move other wires from "this end" to "that end". It isn't used to secure them in place. A messenger cable needs to be at least twice as long as the wire run, so it can go back and forth, and still not be lost at either end. And available to move, without moving any existing wiring that remains in place.
Old 03-07-2012
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
(snip)

I talked with a couple marinas and they recommended installing a PVC conduit in the mast, which would really be expensive.

(snip)

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so, I could sure use a solution.

Thanks in advance,

Gary
Yes I have had this problem. Dad always said "Anything worth doing is worth doing right". He was seldom wrong. Another sage once said to me "If you don't have the time (Or money) do do it right, when will you have the time to do it over?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
No, a messenger cable is used strictly to move other wires from "this end" to "that end". It isn't used to secure them in place. A messenger cable needs to be at least twice as long as the wire run, so it can go back and forth, and still not be lost at either end. And available to move, without moving any existing wiring that remains in place.
You previous description was for a messenger cable:

Cable Construction Details

The above definition is for a cable puller:

Engineer's Corner -- Installing Communications Cable in Conduit: Pulling Lubricants, Blowing, Tension Calculations, Software, Fiber Optics, Friction Reduction
Old 03-07-2012

minnow1193 is on a distinguished road
Just a thought for consideration- if you are ok with drilling some holes in the mast, maybe consider injecting some expanding foam insulation at various points to anchor the wires? Could easily be removed down the road if necessary. ??? Looks like my PO had done something similar. If foam is not exposed to UV should hold up just fine.
Old 03-07-2012

Casey, Belden ought to know their stuff but I've always been taught, always heard the usage, of a "messenger line" (cable, etc.) as being the line you string between here and there, and use to pull other cables or wires back and forth. By riggers, electricians, anyone who has run one.

And a "cable puller" from the electricians I know, is the thing (gizmo or single cable itself) you attach to one end of a cable, to pull it through. And then you need to run a new messenger line to run another new cable, because you've just pulled out the one that was there before.

Does a "northerly" wind blow fom the north or the south? Despite all the definitions both ways, a northerly wind blows TOWARD not FROM the north. A North wind blows rom the north. A "northerly" one doesn't. Same same I suspect, just as so many people have taken to saying they will "insure" that something gets done, when they mean "ensure". Go back 20 years and the differences were clear, but today the meaning has been largely lost.

Call me stubborn, adamant (two sides of the same coin) or simply wrong, but I'll stand by the only usage I've ever heard all these years and call Belden wrong on this one. Even if it is right in their internal industry jargon.
Old 03-07-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Looks like the minimum at the marina for a conduit installation and rewiring the mast will be somewhere between $800 and $1,000, which is a lot of money, at least to me. The same marina will be more than happy to send a bunch of foam blocks down the mast for about $150 if I buy the foam rubber. Think I'll end up with the foam rubber blocks.

Gary
Old 03-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Looks like the minimum at the marina for a conduit installation and rewiring the mast will be somewhere between $800 and $1,000, which is a lot of money, at least to me. The same marina will be more than happy to send a bunch of foam blocks down the mast for about $150 if I buy the foam rubber. Think I'll end up with the foam rubber blocks.

Gary
I was looking at my mast last night. I have enough holes here and there to pull the wire out the side of the mast and attach a thick wire tie that is say 1 foot long. I would leave the tail on and that would restrict the movement of the wire some, and maybe enough to silence. Maybe you could try this.

If you jam in the foam, what if you need to run wire in the future. Can they be removed? What about internal halyards?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.