Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Re: Ideas on securing wires inside mast?

My halyards are external (I made them that way during the refit). I went with expanding foam every two feet. Solid as a rock, and I can "yank" them out whenever/if the need arises.

Worked out great (so far). I made sure not to fully fill the areas so water will drain down..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Ethafoam is great stuff and I use it for lots of things, including lining my music keyboard cases, camera cases, and other things that I want to anchor in place and not have to worry with the Styrofoam beads. Never thought about using for this application, and because I just had the standing rigging replaced last summer, I don't want to undergo the expense and troubles of pulling the mast again.

Thanks for the tips,

Gary
I got a dumpster full of that stuff. You can have it but we are 5,000 miles away from each other. One thing I question, the foam seems to be open cell. This would absorb water and stay wet for a long time. Could also get salt water for the blue water sailors. Once it gets salt in it, it will stay damp, and potential corrode your mast in the areas the foam is located.
Old 03-09-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

We also have external halyards. A marina we worked with stuffed loosely wadded black plastic trash bags down the mast at intervals as a temporary way to hold wires from banging until we could pluck the stick and do the whole retrofit project. Worked fairly well - especially for the zero cost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 03-09-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Ethafoam is a closed-cell, polystyrene foam product that does not absorb water or moisture. It is fairly rigid, tends to retain its shape and it can easily be cut with an ordinary electric knife.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 03-09-2012

Quote:
Ethafoam is a closed-cell, polystyrene foam product that does not absorb water or moisture. It is fairly rigid, tends to retain its shape and it can easily be cut with an ordinary electric knife.

Cheers,

Gary
You are correct:

"Which ETHAFOAM™ brand products are approved for use in flotation devices?
UL 1191:
The US and Canadian Coast Guards approve flotation materials for use in Personal Flotation Devices (PFDs) via the Component Recognition programs of Underwriters' Laboratories and Underwriters' Laboratories Canada, under UL 1191.

Although most ETHAFOAM™ brand foam products will meet the UL 1191 requirements, the only product in the line of ETHAFOAM products for which this certification currently is maintained is ETHAFOAM 221 sheet polyethylene foam.

This means that ETHAFOAM products meet the requirements of this rigorous testing procedure, and that ETHAFOAM 220 and ETHAFOAM 50 products are suitable buoyancy materials for use in buoyancy collar and life jacket applications."

But be carefully, apparently the dumpster full of computer packing material I have is not Ethafoam (looks just like it) as it is completely water logged--been rainning solid for the last week.

Last edited by casey1999; 03-09-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-09-2012

Looks like I won't be dumpster diving in HI anytime soon. I suspect the stuff you're seeing is a form of open-cell, foam rubber, which is the same dark-grey color, but much softer and used for packing electronics. I have some of that around here as well and have used it for packing material.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 03-09-2012

Quote:
Looks like I won't be dumpster diving in HI anytime soon. I suspect the stuff you're seeing is a form of open-cell, foam rubber, which is the same dark-grey color, but much softer and used for packing electronics. I have some of that around here as well and have used it for packing material.

Cheers,

Gary
I've got both the real soft foam and the more shiny hard foam. I know the soft stuff is open cell, but I have also seen the harder shiny foam absorb water- it definitely would probably float forever (unlike the soft stuff) but still seems to absorb some water. I would be hesitant to use it long term as I could still see it holding water against the mast where it makes contact.
Old 03-09-2012

When you're my age, 71, nothing is "long term." I'm hoping to get another 5 to 7 years under my belt before the body parts fail to the point where I'm a navigational hazard when sailing. Beyond that, I suspect I'll be donating the boat for a tax write-off and riding along with someone younger and smarter than myself.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 03-09-2012

Bradhamlet is on a distinguished road

I have used foam swim noodles with pretty good results. I have 7 or 8 five foot swim noodles up the mast now for 5 years now and it is so much more quiet than before. The were inexpensive $1.00 each and took some time to installing but it works for me.
Brad
Old 03-09-2012

Brad,

How did you get them inside your mast?

Gary