Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree166Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012

JordanH is on a distinguished road
Re: Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverknow View Post
The movie is about a small group of college kids who did what you are thinking about. They really went cheap.
I'm fairly certain these kids weren't college kids as they seemed fairly homeless. Yes, they really went cheap; Also, unsafely and illegally. But they did go, and they did survive. I'm with BLJones... I cringe when it is recommended. It really is a good documentary to prove the trip *can* be done, although it is not of the "how-tow" variety.

Also, I think it is my mistake for mentioning a dog; My point was that I lived with wife and dog on a very small sailboat for 6-weeks with both. I don't believe the OP mentioned anything about a dog, I doubt he wants to bring one to the Bahamas.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2012

Serendipitous is on a distinguished road

I don't know if this has already been mentioned because I skipped from page 4 to page 9...but on the cost front, Bahamas can get quite expensive. Everyday items there can usually run about 1.5 times what they are in the States. With that being said, go to Cuba! You're Canadian, you won't get any hassle.
BreakAwayFL likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jessica
Muskegon, MI
89' Sabre 34 Targa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-08-2012

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

His very first post he mentions a dog.
Jim
Old 03-08-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06

I agree with most others -- yes, it can be done but it is generally not a good idea. An analogy would work best here: would you drive down the Interstate through the deserts of the SW in a minimum cost, worn-out car with no driver's license and no driving experience? Would you know what to do when your car breaks down (as worn-out clunkers are wont to do) and you are not near help? I did not see how long you plan to stay, and that could make a difference too. My presumption is you have done your homework regarding customer and immigration, papers, etc and already have your passport.

If you get a bunch of sailing in before you go, you would have more confidence in yourself and in your boat. Right now, you don't know enough to calculate how much risk you are taking in a given situation. I like sailing around the Chesapeake. The Florida keys would work as the next step up.

Or try something off the wall! Instead, how about advertising yourself as inexperienced, gratis, willing crew? Who knows, some captain might pick you up. Stay for a week then fly back home. Google Sailnet for threads regarding advertising yourself as crew. There are several good web sites for the purpose listed in them.

Tom
Pasadena, MD

Last edited by dacap06; 03-08-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-08-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

BTW, orseay, you are welcome to come and join us on the Dock and get some sea time. We'll even loan you a boat you can crash on for a weekend/week, to figure out whether you like it.

Old 03-08-2012

zeta is on a distinguished road

You and your girlfriend are young and you seem to have a sense of adventure. I would do it and pay no attention to the naysayers. Sailing around Fla. on a daily basis will earn you much more experience than someone that sails his boat 2 or 3 times a year. If crossing the stream is worry-some, there are plenty of skippers that will move it across for you (for a fee) or travel with another boat. I like your spirit and I remember when I was your age I lived for a while in a car traveling around the US, and when I look back it was a wonderful time. If you end up hating it and have to sell for half what you paid, so what....you are young and have plenty of time to earn more money.
The Bahamas are visited by thousand of boats a year, some small, some large, some even on jet skis and bass boats. I agree with the posts about you are not rounding the horn. IMO ground tackle will be very important and a dependable engine. That with life jackets, vhf, compass, handheld gps--good to go. My brother goes over every year to fish on a 17ft center console, been doing it for 20 years, not one problem.
Boat, if you can not find a boat for less than 20K that you can live on in this market, you are not looking. I've looked at 27 to 30 ft'ers well under 20K that that can easily handle the Bahamas. Recently seen Flickas for less than 15K ready to go...and even though small can take you anywhere and easy to handle. Many trailer sailors make the trip too. 6 months in Fl and 6 months in Bahamas, should tell you if you want to continue.
Never let anyone talk you out of your dream, especially with fears of doom and gloom....Is it doable--yes, will it be fun--probably, will you die--not likely, will you starve--nope, will you run out of water--I think you are smart enough not to. Could you become addicted--without a doubt....Carpe diem.
BreakAwayFL, nccouple and Lou452 like this.

Last edited by zeta; 03-08-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-08-2012

neverknow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanH View Post
I'm fairly certain these kids weren't college kids as they seemed fairly homeless. Yes, they really went cheap; Also, unsafely and illegally. But they did go, and they did survive. I'm with BLJones... I cringe when it is recommended. It really is a good documentary to prove the trip *can* be done, although it is not of the "how-tow" variety.

Also, I think it is my mistake for mentioning a dog; My point was that I lived with wife and dog on a very small sailboat for 6-weeks with both. I don't believe the OP mentioned anything about a dog, I doubt he wants to bring one to the Bahamas.
Yea I should have said college aged kids. Yes they also did a lot of illegal stuff too. It was still sort of fun the watch??? or not lol
Old 03-08-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

We have the same kind of dream but I am twice your age. You are at a good age in life I have always found some way to take a risk have fun and stay alive. I will not make a list as what I have done is history. I share your dream of learning to sail. We will learn as our time and money risk factor balances our needs. I am on my 2nd small sailboat. I am not new to the water but sailing not as crew/passanger is new. I would start with a small boat pick one that is a class and will have some resale value. This will let you get your feet wet. It will let you see how much you like to sail. I had a bad taste my first few times out so now 20 + years later I am sorry I did not start to sail a long time ago! This is why You need to find some one that can help you have a good time. A lot of fun activity can be a bust if you are not exposed in the right way. This I have learned. Dream Plan then work your plan. last thought Got To get there has killed many in all walks of life in risky sport. Plan manage your risk.
Old 03-08-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacap06 View Post
I agree with most others -- yes, it can be done but it is generally not a good idea. An analogy would work best here: would you drive down the Interstate through the deserts of the SW in a minimum cost, worn-out car with no driver's license and no driving experience? Would you know what to do when your car breaks down (as worn-out clunkers are wont to do) and you are not near help? I did not see how long you plan to stay, and that could make a difference too. My presumption is you have done your homework regarding customer and immigration, papers, etc and already have your passport. Tom
Great analogy. My daughter wanted to go to the "Burning Man" event in the Black Rock desert north of Reno. I had to do some educating on THAT one. Naivete can still be fatal, even nowadays.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-08-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Interesting how at one time we lived in the sea, now we fear it...
Far from it - I (and presumably most, if not all on this site) love it intensely - I won't live away from it again, BUT it demands total respect.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Tags
amature , bahamas , crusing