Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree166Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012

gdaiy is on a distinguished road
Re: Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?

Experience is only gained by doing, prepare your boat well, pick your weather and go. We only have today!
BreakAwayFL likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2012

mountaintrout is on a distinguished road

Owen, sailing throught the Bahamas is also on my to do list. I am also a novice sailor.

I am learning to sail at the Key West sail club. kwcsc.com. $210.00 first yr. $160.00 yearly to
renew. They have some instructors there that teach for $25.00 an hr.

However, if you show up with some cold beer you can usually find some members around the
club to take you out!

In addition to the 25 boats to sail (oday's, sunfish, lazers, 420's and hobie cats) there is
canoes, kayaks, bathroom, grill( social on friday nites) fridge, outdoor shower, kitchen, tool shed and free parking.

I live in Co. and practically move in when I am down to visit. (4-5 times a yr).

Day sailing (without a motor) in my opinion will sharpen your skills rapidly. We sail out and
snorkel and swim at various spot, so docking and undocking is done a few times a sail.

Also, docking infront of a crowd usually makes you learn quicker.
Old 07-06-2012
Sail noob

Murph is on a distinguished road

Sure you can.....but I wouldn't recommend it.

I've immersed myself in all things sailing for about 10 months now, including lessons, about 20 books(most of them twice), magazine subscriptions & sailing every chance I get(weekends).

After 10 months I still wouldn't be comfortable heading into blue water.

IMO, spend a few months(or a year) learning the art/science of sailing while you save more money for a well maintained & equipped boat.

Best of luck and enjoy the journey!
Old 07-18-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Orseay ? Are you still around? Now that some time has passed. What stage is your plan in ? How do you feel now after all the free advice some good others not as much? How much sailing have you been doing? What boats are you looking at? Best wishes Lou452
Old 07-19-2012

wannabsailor is on a distinguished road

Heck yes you can sail the Bahamas! Only 50 miles from Fla. to Grand Bahama Island! Just make sure you have some serious safety equipment.
The Bahamas are close enough if you get in trouble you won’t be far from home, and usually there is someone not too far away, and the islands are so close together you shouldn’t get into too much trouble. Remember, we regret the things we didn’t do… not the things we did. Imagine the stories you have to tell. Adventure awaits.
There are plenty of sailboats in the 15-20K range that will do fine. Oh yeah, if it comes down to the dog or the girlfriend… pick the dog.
Old 07-19-2012

Jetexas is on a distinguished road

I haven't read the entire thread, so I don't know if anyone brought it up or not, but a lot depends on your girlfriend.

You can worry all you want about points of sail, how to tack, etc. but if your anchor is dragging at 3 a.m. in high winds, is she going to get up and help you re-anchor, and even if she will, are you going to be screaming at each other the entire time?

Lack of experience combined with high-stress situations that arise on a boat on a daily basis are not good for relationships.
Old 07-19-2012
Scurvy Dog

Reef33 is on a distinguished road

Uhmmmm..... You are 23, can plunk down 15 large for a boat and goof off for a year?

I hate you.
Attached Thumbnails
Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?-2011-richie-rich-150x150-.jpg  
mountaintrout likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scourge of the Upper Chesapeake since 1993.
Old 07-19-2012

ckmeans is on a distinguished road

As somebody said about...it's not all that far...I really don't see what the big deal would be...Takes a day to get over there...Once you get there you're in a sheltered harbor and can plan your trips depending on weather once you get over there...Go for it...

Keep in mind guys, he's 23...He's not going to be able to do this again for another 40 years...Opportunity of a lifetime...
Old 10-24-2012
wanderer

dohcdelsol93 is on a distinguished road

why must he buy a 15-20K boat?

has this trip not been made thousands of times in much smaller/cheaper boats???

Catalinas...Compacs...Cape dorys...pindles...dare i say macgreggors???

for 10k you can get a boat someone else has already upgraded/threw all his money into to make just such a trip and lost interest....if i were solo i'd choose a compac 16 or 19

I'd put money that the boat could handle more than any experienced sailor would want to handle.

Buy a boat in the 7-10k range...spend the rest on booze on the islands!!!!!! Otherwise you're just wasting your money!

depending on the boat you buy...trailer her home to the great lakes after your trip!
Old 10-24-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orseay View Post
I'm 23 years old. My girlfriend and I are bored and looking for a tropical adventure.

I've come up with a few ideas but the one I'm most seriously looking into the feasibility of, is buying a sailboat and spending like 6-12mth just cruising down the Bahamas; gaining more experience along the way and heading further South towards the Turks & Caicos, Dominican, Puerto Rico, BVI's, St. Lucia, etc..
When sailing the Bahamas, you need to understand their navigational aids, as laid on your charts, may not be reliable. But certainly, if you watch the weather, cross the Gulf Stream when the wind isn't blowing from the north, leave Florida at night and arrive in West End in the morning, then take in the westerly islands, it's doable for almost anyone who understands there may be moments of panic. Just be prepared.

Like any endeavor, your skills improve as you conquer the challenges.
smackdaddy likes this.

Tags
amature , bahamas , crusing