Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree166Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?

I say let him go......Darwinism at it best
1usavet likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2012

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Perhaps fly to the intended destination and buy/rent a smaller, inter-island capable daysailer? Or just paddle around the Big Island for a month. Mostly, ta find out if ya like it and secondly, to gain the experience. ONce the uncertainty is gone, figure a longer sojourn next season
Old 10-24-2012

fordo is on a distinguished road

The OP stopped posting on this thread 3/7, the first day. Anyone know what happened?
Old 10-24-2012
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordo View Post
The OP stopped posting on this thread 3/7, the first day. Anyone know what happened?
Maybe he went on with his plans. Lot's of directions that could have went.
Old 10-24-2012

floridajaxsailor is on a distinguished road

foolish idea

-JD
Old 10-25-2012
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orseay View Post
I'm 23 years old. My girlfriend and I are bored and looking for a tropical adventure.

I've come up with a few ideas but the one I'm most seriously looking into the feasibility of, is buying a sailboat and spending like 6-12mth just cruising down the Bahamas; gaining more experience along the way and heading further South towards the Turks & Caicos, Dominican, Puerto Rico, BVI's, St. Lucia, etc..

SO, the two biggest questions I have are:

- Can I find a comfortable, used sailboat - qualified for the trip - for under $20k, all in?(preferably closer to $15k).

- How long would it take/what would I have to do, to learn enough so that we could safely embark on the initial journey from Florida to Grand Bahama?

I'm thinking I could spend a solid month reading and researching the basics of sailing, then buy the boat in Florida and spend another few weeks/month practicing and learning on the water with someone locally. Then be ready to hit the 'road' with my girlfriend and our dog. Is this at all accurate or am I dreaming?

I'm a very optimistic person and although a bit naive perhaps, I'm pretty confident I can do this given the right advise and guidence.

Thanks so much for any and all input!

Cheers,

Owen
Shure you can !
I decided I wanted to fly so it only took a year to build my first lightplane and researched & read everything on flying & Bernoulli's theorem, then flew it !
Had a great time and liked it so much I built 2 more after that had Real Fun for years & Never had a pilot license ...

BUT I am shure 99% of other ppl in the world would of DIED doing the things I have done in my life .,, (I really believe that because I have meet Thousands of ppl & most belong on Jay Lenos Jaywalking bit!)
Old 10-25-2012

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

It ain't rocket science ... look at all the idiots who do it.

I've told this story before but I think its worth repeating. I surveyed a Catalina 47 in 2004 for a fella who had never sailed before. He bought the boat, spent two weeks loading it up then left the dock (singlehanded).

18 months later I got a email from him in having a great time in Trinidad. A couple of years later he came back to Toronto, bought a trawler and headed off for the loop.

He were'nt no rocket scientist but his momma didn't raise no dummies either.

A little knowledge, a little common sense and a spirit of adventure will take you a long way.
lillia28 likes this.
Old 10-25-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDChopper View Post
Shure you can !
I decided I wanted to fly so it only took a year to build my first lightplane.....

BUT I am shure 99% of other ppl in the world would of DIED.....
Directionally correct anyway. While amateur built aircraft comprise 10% of the US fleet, they account for 20% of fatal accidents. Also, 10% of amateur built accidents occur on the aircraft's very first flight. Data just released by the NTSB last year.

I am a huge supporter of homebuilts and the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association), but the amateur builders can do better.

Their proposed solution is better education, particularly on power systems, which are the most likely to fail in this category.

I think the same can be said for those that venture offshore without experience. Get as much education as you possibly can.
SloopJonB likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-25-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordo View Post
Having just browsed through some of the posts, it's possible some of the comments turned him away.

As for sailing from Florida to the Bahamas, the shortest route is from Lake Worth to West End. It's about 65 miles. From there you can cruise the coast of Grand Bahama Island. You don't have to go far to find a harbor.

And as you gain confidence and experience, you can decide your next destination. As long as you plan well, pay close attention to the weather, and take your time, I think anyone with little experience can make the voyage safely. You just have to think safe. But certainly, get to know your boat first, then at least get an experienced sailor to come on board with you and teach you the basics before you go.

And to the cost of the boat, Cap'n Fatty circumnavigated the globe twice in a $3,000 boat. But he'll be the first to tell you that price left him with enough money to purchase a lot of safety equipment. Of course, you have to know how and when to use it too.
Old 10-25-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road

These folks did almost exactly what the OP is proposing (i.e., had never sailed before, bought a boat, took about a month to learn, and then went from FL to Bahamas).

The Slapdash | No Fixed Address

Then went on to circumnavigate... In a 34' cat.

And they're certainly not the only ones. On the other hand, I'm sure there are some who will spend their entire lives on coastal and inland waters, and denigrate anyone with less experience who proposes something like the OP.

Tags
amature , bahamas , crusing