Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree166Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012

scratchee is on a distinguished road
Re: Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?

Yes, you can sail to the Bahamas with no experience. You can also die enroute with no experience.
1usavet likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
Yes, you can sail to the Bahamas with no experience. You can also die enroute with no experience.
Agreed, but that's only sailing toward the Bahamas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-27-2012

handsomebob is on a distinguished road

Owen,

I don't see that you have replied in a while from all this great advice both pro and con. If it was me I would pack up and go to Florida and get work as crew for 6 months to a year on charters and deliveries to learn all you can. Take some of the classes if you feel like but not necessary if you put in quality time really soaking up all you can from experienced captains. Get odd jobs while ashore to make some money to get by and leave your nest egg alone. During that time you will most likely make some connections and could find the perfect boat to charter. No need to buy your own boat now. You are 23 and have all the time to go on your adventure. I say go for it but learn enough to be safe. Many people on this forum including me wish we had the time and lack of major responsibilities(wife, kids, mortgage, college loan) to start seriously sailing at your young age. Who knows maybe you could make a living of it. Give us an update on what you are up to and if you are still considering the trip.
Old 11-27-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
Ah, but that's always the rub isn't it? You can also die en route to the Bahamas with years of experience under your keel.

If something's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there.
xymotic likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-27-2012

xymotic is on a distinguished road

All this talk about relationships is very interesting to me. When did FL to the Bahamas become a 50 day drift in a rowboat with no water? Better fatten the GF up a bit before the trip in case you need to eat her. Be prepared!

Pluh-ease. Two people can get along pretty well in a cramped space for A DAY especially when all the while everything about is new and different and fun.

Personally I went for a 13' to 23' motorboat. the 23 seemed HUGE at the time. Then I went to a 42' sailboat. I learned by doing, and by occasionally bumping into stuff. I have friends that have sailed for 20 years, are in USCG aux and seriously cannot drive a 27' that they've owned for three years 'because it's so big'

I have a hard time thinking that way, because that's just not how I think. So to the OP I would say hell yes, don't be an idiot and you'll be fine. Or do be an idiot and let Dawinism work itself out, either way it'll just be you being who you are.

I will suggest reading Pat and Allie's Blog bumfuzzle | intro sept oct 2003 sailing around the world it was amazing seeing the chatter all over the internet about how dumb they were and destined to die. It's a fair bit harder to kill yourself than some people think.
Old 11-27-2012

xymotic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Ah, but that's always the rub isn't it? You can also die en route to the Bahamas with years of experience under your keel.

If something's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there.
It's more likely to happen in your own bathroom.
Old 11-27-2012
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Yes. You can find a worthy boat for 5K and spend 1-2K in fixing her up sweet for the ride down.
Money will not be your issue.

Your issue is going to be when something happens and you have no idea what to do. Such as: Exhaust hose going out and flooding your bilge, chainplate breaking in squall, thru-hull failure, perhaps a ripped main or jib or simply docking without bashing boats around you.
Can you sail to the bahamas with no experience? Of course! You have the money. Just because you can do something doesn't always mean you should though.

You need to have some experience man, especially if someone else will be depending on your seamanship or lack there of.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 11-27-2012

wanttosail is on a distinguished road

Go and live your dream!!
Old 11-27-2012
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttosail View Post
Go and live your dream!!
But his gf and a dog will be living the dream to. If it were just him i'd say go for it. With the addition of two innocents with 0 experience and only 2 imposable thumbs between them though I am more wary in recommending such a trip.
Old 11-27-2012
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
But his gf and a dog will be living the dream to. If it were just him i'd say go for it. With the addition of two innocents with 0 experience and only 2 imposable thumbs between them though I am more wary in recommending such a trip.
What is am imposable thumb?
That thing Tom Robbins wrote about?
smackdaddy likes this.

Tags
amature , bahamas , crusing