Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree166Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012

xymotic is on a distinguished road
Re: Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?

I think harbor meant opposable thumbs, but wouldn't it be four between them? Is the girlfriend paraplegic? Or are the GF and dog the same thing (yikes!) in which case yes, only two thumbs in the whole group.

And OMG what do you do when something unexpected happens!!!! You will obviously just sit there and wait for death. Duh. How do you people get 'experience'??? I tend to gain experience by doing something. After I have done it, I have experienced it. I know it's complicated but I try not to over-think it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
.....How do you people get 'experience'???....
By pushing the envelope of your personal minimums when conditions are right. How far offshore, how much wind, how large seas, etc. Everyone should know what they feel capable of taking on.

Then you push one at a time. You may venture further offshore, but only when weather looks good. You may do your first docking in the dark, but only in calm wind. You may head out in 30 knots of wind, but may not get too far away from safety that first time. And the best way is to have someone with you that is experienced for your first crack.

You push one at a time, not all at once.
1usavet likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-28-2012

scratchee is on a distinguished road

The "Barefoot Bandit" in the San Juans was able to takeoff and land a plane with no experience (though the plane was totaled.) Maybe you could try flying to the Bahamas instead?

Theoretically, most questions that start with "Can I" can be answered with the single word, "Yes." Fortunately, most responses in forums such as this also try to include some realistic advice.

To be fair, the OP did say that he was going to study up on sailing, then spend a few weeks sailing his new boat in Florida before heading to the Bahamas. So that's not exactly "no experience." However, after his first day arguing with the advice he got here, he seems to have "departed the pattern," as the Barefoot Bandit may have said if he reached the chapter on how to talk on the radios.
Old 11-28-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinstink View Post
What is am imposable thumb?
a passive/aggressive control freak hitch-hiking.
xymotic and 1usavet like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
By pushing the envelope of your personal minimums when conditions are right. How far offshore, how much wind, how large seas, etc. Everyone should know what they feel capable of taking on.

Then you push one at a time. You may venture further offshore, but only when weather looks good. You may do your first docking in the dark, but only in calm wind. You may head out in 30 knots of wind, but may not get too far away from safety that first time. And the best way is to have someone with you that is experienced for your first crack.

You push one at a time, not all at once.
I sailed to Catalina on my third trip ever on a sailboat. This ain't rocket surgery.

Bimini is only 40 miles from Florida Grand Bahama is only 60. it's offshore and there's the gulf stream but I mean cmon! a little perspective! It's not Slokum sailing around the world with no tools or support in a wooden boat he built himself because he had to
caberg likes this.
Old 11-30-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
I sailed to Catalina on my third trip ever on a sailboat. This ain't rocket surgery.

Bimini is only 40 miles from Florida Grand Bahama is only 60. it's offshore and there's the gulf stream but I mean cmon! a little perspective! It's not Slokum sailing around the world with no tools or support in a wooden boat he built himself because he had to
Didn't say it was hard. I answered your question on how one gets experience.

How quickly one assimilates the skills is highly variable. It inapplicable to suggest anyone can do so, based on one's own successful experience.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-30-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I don't know. I sailed down to Mexico by myself just after my 20'th birthday on a 28 foot sloop. I had lot's of training and sea time prior and I still am amazed when I think back at how little I knew. My nicro-press rig and leaking packing gland, I would'nt do it now not knowing what I did then. I'm glad I did'nt know then what I know now or I would'nt have done it. I guess if you wait till you are ready you'll never go.
Old 11-30-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

The sailing part is not the hard part.
The hard part is fixing something broken at 3:00 am when you're sick, wet, cold, exhausted, scared to death, wish you were dead, and your flashlight is dead, you don't have the right part and you dropped the necessary tool overboard. Oh, and you're almost out of water and the radio is dead, and you're drifting towards the rocks too. And you haven't slept well for a couple days.
That kind of reality is definitely at odds with the sunshine, palm trees, and umbrella drinks on a white sand beach vision.
You might want to prepare well.
HDChopper likes this.

Old 11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
The sailing part is not the hard part.
The hard part is fixing something broken at 3:00 am when you're sick, wet, cold, exhausted, scared to death, wish you were dead, and your flashlight is dead, you don't have the right part and you dropped the necessary tool overboard. Oh, and you're almost out of water and the radio is dead, and you're drifting towards the rocks too. And you haven't slept well for a couple days.
That kind of reality is definitely at odds with the sunshine, palm trees, and umbrella drinks on a white sand beach vision.
You might want to prepare well.
It's also something that really can't be taught. Stuff happens. I'm definitely a proponent of 'be prepared' but it just seems like on these forums if you don't ask a very specific question there's always a bunch of naysayors saying 'you will die"
smackdaddy and HDChopper like this.
Old 11-30-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

I agree but I'm not saying you will die, I'm saying this is hard. Harder than I thought it would be anyway.

Tags
amature , bahamas , crusing