Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree166Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012

SeaStar7 is on a distinguished road
Re: Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?

I would recommend reading several good "How to Sail Books" and even taking one of those Basic Learn to Sail Course offered by Offshore Sailing School, etc. They cost about $500-$800 bucks for the basic ones. After that, either rent or charter a sturdy 20-26 ft boat to practice aboard. I have seen Flickas and Contessas and Pearson Tritons in the $10-$15K range. Those have all gone across Oceans. I sailed as a kid, daysailing, racing, but only took up cruising in my early 30s. Chapman's Boating is invaluable. Take small steps, but it shouldn't take you years to get out there. Read, practice sailing....GO! Fair Winds!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2012

kentemay is on a distinguished road

I recently purchased a Westerly Centaur and am thinking of taking it over to the Bahamas next summer. Anyone have thoughts on this vessel crossing the stream?
Old 12-06-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentemay View Post
I recently purchased a Westerly Centaur and am thinking of taking it over to the Bahamas next summer. Anyone have thoughts on this vessel crossing the stream?
She will be just fine. Centaurs have circumnavigated.
Old 12-06-2012
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor

I recommend you buying a Hobie cat, go to a local lake ! Get out there learn to sail, and go out in storms on the lake. Then think of this being the ocean and no islands around you , nothing but water, and BIG fishes underneath you! Then do it over and over and over again! Until your able to buy a ocean vessel. just my thoughts.

licensed OUPV/6-pack
Great Lake Erie, Marine State Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""
Old 12-06-2012
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor

1979 Stiletto 27 - Catamaran Sailboat Classifieds

Here Ya go this might just work!

licensed OUPV/6-pack
Great Lake Erie, Marine State Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""
Old 12-06-2012

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

I was trying to read this entire thread but my attention span got the best of me

I was hoping to see a post from the OP with pics of his boat and some tales of his training progress.
Old 12-06-2012

wannabsailor is on a distinguished road

Mike, you got to stop holding it in, let it out. It's OK to express your feeling now and then.
Ok, on a more serious note maybe I am just really naive but I don’t get it. I mean what is it? 40-50 miles? Ask a few questions, use some common sense and go. You leave after breakfast, you get there for dinner, you pick a nice day and you go. What?
Old 12-06-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabsailor View Post
Ok, on a more serious note maybe I am just really naive but I don’t get it. I mean what is it? 40-50 miles? Ask a few questions, use some common sense and go. You leave after breakfast, you get there for dinner, you pick a nice day and you go. What?
Well, first off, simply getting there is the easy part...

The Bahamas can present some pretty serious challenges, and even experienced cruisers come to grief over there every year... The islands are not all pink sand beaches, and gin-clear waters lapping gently up to them... Not difficult at all for a newbie to get into trouble, and perhaps find himself a LONG way from any assistance when it happens...

I don't think the suggestions here to knock around a place like the Florida Keys for a month or two first, are at all unreasonable, or overly cautious... I'm guessing few of the "Just Do It" brigade have ever laid eyes on a Bahamian "Ironshore", or suddenly found themselves anchored to weather of one, after a strong front has moved through in the middle of a February night...

Old 12-06-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

It's 50 miles of what can be absolute @#!*% . If there is wind, it will be east-on the nose, or north of east wich pushes the Gulf Stream up quick in to 10 foot stackers, If the wind has recently shifted the the sea will be confused and boiling . Add the constant freighter traffic north to south and south to north funneling through the straights, it's like playing frogger on a boilng mogul feild. You can motor across on a calm day, but to sail it is a challenge. That stretch of water is notorious for a reason. It's a good place to get passage making experience, short and intense. You really need to leave Key Largo at midinght and arive in Bimini after noon, so the light is above or behind you.
jrd22, HDChopper, 1usavet and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 12-06-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-07-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Mike View Post
.....and their jeoulas.
What is this "jeoulas" that they own? I Googled it but came up empty.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas

Tags
amature , bahamas , crusing

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.