Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree166Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013

fasterest is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainologist View Post
The guys in the "Hold Fast" documentary did it (it's on Vimeo), probably on well under $20K... Not sure I'd suggest repeating this to anyone, though
That is an excellent documentary IMO I would say to the op to go ahead and do it even though I have no experience it is your life and if you feel comfortable why not.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
And if they were preppy yachty kids with conservative political veiws, would they be worthy of discussing. Just say'n.
Nope. Any preppy yachty kid with conservative political views that steals stuff and breaks other people's property would be an a-hole in my book too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-07-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Is the op still here or is this a dead thread? Good day, Lou
Old 02-07-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Nope. Any preppy yachty kid with conservative political views that steals stuff and breaks other people's property would be an a-hole in my book too.
Well... generally it's the liberal's that are destroying everything; not the preppie conservative's. hence the word "conservative"

this thread has been dead for a while and the 23 yrold has never come back. Frightened away?
Old 02-07-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I guess I'm missing some info. I haven't seen the video and did'nt know they were theiving vandels. All I saw was some photos of some young people on a little sailboat with a mission statement of sailing south to show other young people it could be done.
Old 02-07-2013
Go Cowboys

jobberone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It's 50 miles of what can be absolute @#!*% . If there is wind, it will be east-on the nose, or north of east wich pushes the Gulf Stream up quick in to 10 foot stackers, If the wind has recently shifted the the sea will be confused and boiling . Add the constant freighter traffic north to south and south to north funneling through the straights, it's like playing frogger on a boilng mogul feild. You can motor across on a calm day, but to sail it is a challenge. That stretch of water is notorious for a reason. It's a good place to get passage making experience, short and intense. You really need to leave Key Largo at midinght and arive in Bimini after noon, so the light is above or behind you.
Just so I don't assume, why should the sun be behind you and why must you leave at midnight?
Old 02-07-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I guess I'm missing some info. I haven't seen the video and did'nt know they were theiving vandels. All I saw was some photos of some young people on a little sailboat with a mission statement of sailing south to show other young people it could be done.
Wait till you see the female crew take a dump over the lifelines and then kick the motley skipper off the boat at the end.
Capt.aaron likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-07-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Wait till you see the female crew take a dump over the lifelines and then kick the motley skipper off the boat at the end.
Oh JEEZ. Sounds like a typical scene from the Christmas Tree anchorage In Key West.... Well, Boat Bums, what can I say.
Old 02-07-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobberone View Post
Just so I don't assume, why should the sun be behind you and why must you leave at midnight?
Well, you don't want to make first time approaches to poorly marked entrances with the sun in your eye's, and Entering Bimini at night, having never been there before is dangerous. When I leave Angle Fish Creek at Midnight, I arrive in Bimini, around noon, no glare in my face, I can read the water, when the sun is a little behind me I can see the range poles on the beach. I need to line them up in order to line up my aproach, with out the sun reflecting off of them, they are hard to pick out. The trees shadow them in the morning. Also, you want to make sure you have time to secure the boat and get cleared in. I've been leaving Key Largo at Midnight and arriving in Bimini in early afternoon since 1978 with Grand Pa and as recently as last spring. So I guess part of it is just how I was raised, never thought of doing it differently. It takes 12 hours to do that crossing, so leave when you want to arrive. Leave at 09:00, arrive at 21:00 and so on.
Old 02-07-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Early in the vid, they talked about making nightly scavenger runs. They also broke a guy's davits (that they were using without permission), trying to used it to put a mast on their boat. All things considered, and imho, it's an odd flick.

Tags
amature , bahamas , crusing