Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree166Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road
Re: Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452 View Post
Is the op still here or is this a dead thread? Good day, Lou
The OP's stats show that he signed up and posted on the same day and has not returned since. This isn't to say he is not following the thread. However he has not signed in since the day he signed up/posted.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2013
Go Cowboys

jobberone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Well, you don't want to make first time approaches to poorly marked entrances with the sun in your eye's, and Entering Bimini at night, having never been there before is dangerous. When I leave Angle Fish Creek at Midnight, I arrive in Bimini, around noon, no glare in my face, I can read the water, when the sun is a little behind me I can see the range poles on the beach. I need to line them up in order to line up my aproach, with out the sun reflecting off of them, they are hard to pick out. The trees shadow them in the morning. Also, you want to make sure you have time to secure the boat and get cleared in. I've been leaving Key Largo at Midnight and arriving in Bimini in early afternoon since 1978 with Grand Pa and as recently as last spring. So I guess part of it is just how I was raised, never thought of doing it differently. It takes 12 hours to do that crossing, so leave when you want to arrive. Leave at 09:00, arrive at 21:00 and so on.
That's what I was thinking but wanted to be sure. Even with knowledge of an area it is difficult at times to navigate at night. Esp with old eyes. And I definitely don't see well with the sun facing me. Thanks for taking time to explain.
Old 02-08-2013
Go Cowboys

jobberone is on a distinguished road

I realize the OP is perhaps not around but I'd like to say something. I have little sailing experience but I do have time on big water. Things can go wrong out there and there is no where to turn at times for help. And no matter your experience or the size and type of your boat the ocean can be very big at times. Someone said you have to learn to have a healthy respect and even fear of the ocean. I think that is right. Don't underestimate the power of the sea.
Old 02-08-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Hey, I'm notorious for starting converstions at cocktail parties, bowing out and returning to the room hours later to find people engulfed in a heated discusion based on my original comment or question. This is the nature of this forum actually. OP or not, the question stands. " Can I sail To the Bahamas (or any where for that matter) with little to no experience?" IMHO ths is exactly the type of discusion Sailnet is designed for. As a largley east coast based group of sailors new and old gather here, the Bahamas is a popular destintion and goal for people interested in getting out there and going some where. Aside from specific's , the concepts and oppinoins discussed here can be transposed to any where in the world. And by the way, I'm scared sh!tless of the ocean and it's power. It's what has kept me alive thus far.
Old 02-16-2013

erie bound is on a distinguished road

^5 Aaron, I get so tired on forums when people worry too much if the OP is still around. Do they think other people can't gain knowledge from something posters have to say?
smackdaddy likes this.

Last edited by erie bound; 02-16-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-16-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

+1...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-16-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by erie bound View Post
^5 Aaron, I get so tired on forums when people worry so much as to weather the OP is still around. Do they not think other people can't gain knowledge from anything posters have to say?
In this post it is curiousity Will it be done? Has it been done already? Kind Regards, Lou
Old 02-16-2013

erie bound is on a distinguished road

No Lou, my post was about the people that pop on here and tell posters that it is a waste of time, because the op has not posted in a long time, I don't care, I have interest in what someone may have to add on the topic.
Old 03-20-2013

DesertPirate is on a distinguished road

Check out this video on Vimeo. This small band of sailors started with what appeared to be very little sailing experience and you might find their experiences interesting. There is, however, a difference between zero experience, a little experience, and a growing amount of experience, and with sailing, the more the better.
Old 03-20-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Not that horrid video again. I think there are substantially better examples of how to do it.
DRFerron and chef2sail like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Tags
amature , bahamas , crusing