Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree166Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013

DesertPirate is on a distinguished road
Re: Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?

Minnewaska, Wow, that is a rather harsh appraisal of the video. I am not sure if you are just ragging on the video itself or the entire experience. The video is certainly not going to win any awards, but that is not the point of it. The thread began with the question as to whether one could sail to the Bahamas with no experience. The video shows how one group of people got their sailing experience. May I ask, do you own a sailboat, and if so, have you ever gone anywhere? I see a graphic for a Jeannneau 54 on your post. If you own such an expensive boat I might well imagine your disgust with Pestilence. Heavens, what would the yacht club commodore say? I say, if you don't like the video, don't watch it. As always, fair winds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

Hahahahahaha.

It's déjà vu- all over again.
Old 03-20-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertPirate View Post
Minnewaska, Wow, that is a rather harsh appraisal of the video. I am not sure if you are just ragging on the video itself or the entire experience. The video is certainly not going to win any awards, but that is not the point of it. The thread began with the question as to whether one could sail to the Bahamas with no experience. The video shows how one group of people got their sailing experience. May I ask, do you own a sailboat, and if so, have you ever gone anywhere? I see a graphic for a Jeannneau 54 on your post. If you own such an expensive boat I might well imagine your disgust with Pestilence. Heavens, what would the yacht club commodore say? I say, if you don't like the video, don't watch it. As always, fair winds.
You have to understand context. That "Hold Fast" documentary was discussed ad nauseum on this and many other sailing boards. There were heated opinions on both ends. It wasn't the Yacht Club crowd vs the Pardey crowd...but more along the "I respect property rights" crowd vs the "anarchist pirate" mentality displayed by Moxie and his crew.

If yo know anything about Minnewaska, you'd know that he's out there living the life right now. I sense jealousy about his vessel and life coming from you...or perhaps its a punk rock irreverence for people that have more?
Old 03-20-2013

DesertPirate is on a distinguished road

I missed out on the ad nauseum debate. Au contraire as to any jealousy toward Minnewaska, I say more power to him. And while I agree that climbing aboard other people's boats is not cool, I sense in those kids a certain joie de vivre which we definitely need more of in this life. And yes, even though I am almost 60 and decidedly not a 1%'er, through hard work and some amount of good fortune, I find myself quite comfortably retired. But I did grow up in the 1960's and from that I find I can conjure up a goodly amount of admiration for those who do things on a shoestring, though anyone who does anything out of the mainstream is to be admired.
Old 03-20-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertPirate View Post
I missed out on the ad nauseum debate. Au contraire as to any jealousy toward Minnewaska, I say more power to him. And while I agree that climbing aboard other people's boats is not cool, I sense in those kids a certain joie de vivre which we definitely need more of in this life. And yes, even though I am almost 60 and decidedly not a 1%'er, through hard work and some amount of good fortune, I find myself quite comfortably retired. But I did grow up in the 1960's and from that I find I can conjure up a goodly amount of admiration for those who do things on a shoestring, though anyone who does anything out of the mainstream is to be admired.
You should search the discussions out (use googles search, its better than Sailnets)

Interesting debates...and less about sailing and more about what people value. Lots of law and order types, decrying property and the breakdown of morals. On the flip-side, lots of sympathizers saying "its only kids" or "what they did was harmless". What was interesting to me was there was very little of the true anarchist mindset...which I think these people tried getting across. No one was justifying "take what you can, leave nothing behind" because who cares about law and order...you're going to die in the end...and that is the problem I have with Hold Fast.

In my opinion, they are advocating a lifestyle which is NOT so innocent. They're practicing mild piracy...albeit with pretty scenery and clever video editing and voiceovers. I'm not a buttoned up law and order type, but I also cant blame any boat owner that would blow these kids away with a shotgun for getting caught aboard their boat. If you live by the sword, you should be prepared to face the blade...and they're living dangerously doing what they advocate.

Last edited by night0wl; 03-20-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-20-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

anarchist - I must say I just don't get it. They are so narcissistic that even social order is irrelevant because it is outside their immediate realm? Odd, somewhere along the way we screwed up our kids, well not mine at least Sorry off topic.
Old 03-20-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

Nihilists, dude.
jameswilson29 and utchuckd like this.
Old 03-20-2013

wannabsailor is on a distinguished road

I think it was MINNEWASKA who said something along the lines of...there are substantially better examples of how to do it.

You got websites for those better examples?

Thanks
Old 03-20-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by c. breeze View Post
Nihilists, dude.
I believe that is supposed to be "Nihilists, Donnie..."
utchuckd likes this.
Old 03-20-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
You have to understand context. That "Hold Fast" documentary was discussed ad nauseum on this and many other sailing boards. There were heated opinions on both ends. It wasn't the Yacht Club crowd vs the Pardey crowd...but more along the "I respect property rights" crowd vs the "anarchist pirate" mentality displayed by Moxie and his crew.
I know of Moxie from another world where he is a respected computer security researcher with a very public face and a company that was recently acquired by Twitter for an undisclosed amount. I know that with his reputation he could have contracted with one of several organizations for a short period of time and made enough money to fund the entire trip/boat.

What bothers me the most about the things they did is that he easily could have made the money (if he didn't have it already) to do fine without having to steal or invade other people's property. The idea they couldn't pay someone <$200 to step the mast and had to break someone else's equipment is ludicrous, they had the money or the means to acquire it quickly, their decision not to do so was solely selfish.
Lou452 likes this.

Last edited by Shinook; 03-20-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Tags
amature , bahamas , crusing

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.