Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree166Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?

Hold Fast was a highly controversial, fully contrived, glorification of deadbeats that weren't actually poor, that actually did know how to sail but made out like they didn't and thought the idea of stealing stuff, breaking and entering, destroying others property and taking a dump over the lifelines was cool.

That should clear it up.
DRFerron and Lou452 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2013

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertPirate View Post
This small band of sailors started with what appeared to be very little sailing experience and you might find their experiences interesting.
The guy involved actually had a decent amount of sailing experience. You can see him drawing on that many many times in the video too.

I personally don't like the video not for the reasons most people state, but because it tends to re-enforce an idea that doing things on the cheap requires living in squalor like conditions. They spend all this time working on the boat, even buy a new engine, and do nothing to make it the least bit comfortable or liveable.

A sailboat can be comfortable, liveable, beautiful and safely maintained without having to be rich.
Old 03-21-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

Yeah, "Occupy Sailboat" didn't do it for me, either.
bljones likes this.
Old 03-21-2013

DesertPirate is on a distinguished road

To LauderBoy,

I could not agree with you more. There is no need to live like a slob, no matter how poor you are. All one needs is a little class, which most people would state is something the Hold Fast crew lacked. I never really thought about the can of worms this video might open!
Old 03-22-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

I agree.

Thanks for posting that video, I found it interesting. But yeah - That's what drove me nuts in the video. The disgusting mess that boat was. I don't even like my wife to hang a towel on our lifelines. A boat has got to be neat and straightened up or it really bothers me. At least do the best you can with what you've got. Its not a money issue. The boat name bothered me too.

I'm a little bit torn - I liked the spirit of adventure , I'm all for doing it on the cheap, but I wouldn't have sailed on that disgusting boat.

So if you go to the Bahamas with no experience - at least cleanup your boat and keep it neat and tidy!

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 03-22-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-22-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

There's a difference between looking rode hard and put up wet and looking derelict. I don't mind looking a bit weathered- as it were, but I can't stand looking like a yard sale. For the movie to have been proper- they should've been fiercely independent to the point that they wouldn't ever have been in a position to damage someone else's stuff.

My chief complaint with anarchy has always been that its proponents are typically only suited to scavenging- and it's with an eye toward those means that they embrace anarchy. Scavengers. Oddly enough those who are most suited to getting along well enough, those with the various skills to support themselves without any central governing body providing for the infrastructure that allows for so many products to be so readily available- they are rarely the ones beating the anarchist drum. Quite likely because they are all actually engaged in supporting themselves off the grid in various manners.
bljones likes this.
Old 03-22-2013

flandria is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to flandria

Not sure if (1) and earlier reply got posted or didn't make it through, (2) how old this thread is and (3) if you are still looking for advice.

I cannot give you personal experience, but can direct you to a publication by Skipper Bob (link below) that deals quite extensively with your major challenge (if you limit yourself to the Bahamas for now), which is crossing the Gulf Stream. Perhaps that got covered quite well in other replies, but I admit I have not read through all the pages of response to your thread. Good luck with your plan!

http://www.waterwayguide.com/shipsto...products_id=72
Old 07-01-2013

Andrew65 is on a distinguished road

How big is the dog. That might problematical with that budget. Other than that, go for it, but sail conservative. Have you read Bruce Van DeSant`s book on sailing the thornless path? Read his advice. It`s a popular book for good reason.
Old 07-01-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

No you cant. And when time comesi to actually go and your staring out at the open expanse of ocean you wont have the balls.
you need ato second mate. You will get tired and kill yourself.
Old 07-17-2013
Steve Wright

sdwcheney is on a distinguished road

Get a Spot, check it out on the web. I am in Edgewater Fl, I just sailed back from the Caribbean.

Tags
amature , bahamas , crusing

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.