Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree166Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?

It's not the Daytona 500, but you DO make your own luck.
Keep in mind that a sailboat is twice as long as your car, weighs four-6 times as much, has no brakes and a big turning radius...
and you drive from the back seat.
davidpm and Jgbrown like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Keep in mind that a sailboat is twice as long as your car, weighs four-6 times as much, has no brakes and a big turning radius...
and you drive from the back seat.
Not to mention if you open the door and happen to fall out, you don't faceplant blacktop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-07-2012

Orseay is on a distinguished road

Well I do know the 'driving' physics are nothing alike! I'm comparing more in regards to the margins for error.

From the complete outside, looking in, I just feel like as long as you're extremely cautious of weather conditions and navigation that although a noob, I could get there with some basic training and a buddy boat.

Also, with such a large community of active, experienced sailors in the areas I'd be looking to cruise..aside from getting there, where better place to learn?
Old 03-07-2012
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road

I have been sailing for 5 years and have gone on several week long cruises. I don't feel ready to tackle a trip like that.

Eric
Old 03-07-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
I think you would quickly be in over your head and the scary part might be that you would have no real idea when you went from being uncomfortable to being in danger. Also gettting to the Bahamas is different from getting to the Eastern Caribean (BVI and south).

Unfortunately there are dues to be paid before doing this sort of thing - or maybe it is not unfortunate since it makes the accomplished feel better. You can speed up the learning process, but you can't eliminate it.
Maybe read the post above again. There is a HUGE amount of stuff to learn. Even if you are a hands-on capable guy, the great likelihood is that it will not be long before you run into trouble, probably before you even get to trying to cross the Gulf Stream and thread your way through a cut in the reefs that surround the Bahamas.

It's a great idea but you need to be careful. Go out with someone else for a long trip somewhere or get a little one design, even something like a Sunfish to learn about sailing.
Old 03-07-2012
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

of course you can do it. whether it will be fun is up to you. you might want to invest in a basic sailing course for the two of you, take a couple weekends to learn the basics and discover if either of you are prone to debilitating sea sicknesses or paralyzed with fear by being on the ocean. if it works for you, buy a boat, hang out with other sailors in any anchorage and you will easily learn more traveling with other boats for a couple of weeks than you would spending months tied to a dock listening to the experts that have a million reasons why they never manage to drop their own dock lines ;-)

go, have an adventure and post it here for us to read!
Old 03-07-2012
leave my member alone

Chadfunk48 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Chadfunk48

Have you thought of maybe chartering or renting a boat? They are available all over the place and you wouldn't be stuck with a boat after you were done with your adventure. Buying a boat is easy, selling one can be quite the opposite. And then you are stuck with paying for storage. With 20k you could fund a really great adventure on a boat that is not yours and even with someone to show you the ropes in the beginning. And you would bypass the whole making the passage problem. Just an idea
NateFL likes this.

Life is to short to be crabby. Go sailing!

Last edited by Chadfunk48; 03-07-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThumbs View Post
I have been sailing for 5 years and have gone on several week long cruises. I don't feel ready to tackle a trip like that.

Eric
No offence but that's fairly subjective and doesn't really mean much..
Old 03-07-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
I beleive my anaolgy to the driver learning how to drive who just got his permit and driving the Daytona 500 is a good one. Safety is the most important part of any journey.

BLjones if you were taking an airplane flight from lets say Florida to the Bahamas would you get on a 30 year old piper cub bought at a bargain basement price with suspect maintainence. piloted by a 23 year old who had accomplished his first landing 1 month earlier? I doubt it. I am puzzeled why you would suggest something which may put his grilfriend in danger as something like a casual walk to the corner store, when you do not take the same casual attitude with regards to your boat I amsure.

There are odds that nothing would happen...would you take those odds though.

It is irresposnsible to not talk about the dangers faced in a trip which this new poster is potentially going to make and not give prudent safe advice to him. I am certainly not risk adversive and have taken many trips offshore for more thasn 3 weeks at a time, but not with the casual attitude being displayed and certainly not in a foreign country.

I think next month I am going to get a CDL Liscence and then drive 30 year old jet fuel tanker semi down I95 over to Texas down through Mexico and Central America with a valid passport to Argentina so I am there for Carnival next year.....just because I can get the liscense and purchase the truck and the gas and get a passport. I will learn to read a map, as well as Spanish from a book along the way. If I run out of money or need to eat I will get a job as a Chef for a few weeks.

Geeze...

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfunk48 View Post
Have you thought of maybe chartering or renting a boat? They are available all over the place and you wouldn't be stuck with a boat after you were done with your adventure. Buying a boat is easy, selling one can be quite the opposite. And then you are stuck with paying for storage. With 20k you could fund a really great adventure on a boat that is not yours and even with some to show you the ropes in the beginning. And you would bypass the whole making the passage problem. Just an idea
Yeah but then I'm just out $20k? At least buying a boat gives me some equity that I can later recoup even if it's at a loss.

Tags
amature , bahamas , crusing

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.